What kinda lenses do I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chatswood

Mar 15, 2004
What is the minimum decent range (Zoom Lense) to shoot birds in order to fill the frame in places like sungei buloh?

chatswood said:
What is the minimum decent range (Zoom Lense) to shoot birds in order to fill the frame in places like sungei buloh?

400mm at least I think plus a tripod... u could do with less if u can somehow get closer without scaring off the birds?

mr_jason said:
:bigeyes:.... :kok:
Seriously though, his answer does hit the point rather succintly...you need the longest lens you can afford. Of course not the 1200mm lar. Even if you can afford one you will break your back just carrying it around.

To fill the frame, lets say if you are shooting birds, ideally you need at least 500mm or more. The Sigma 50-500 looks like a decent choice. 100-400 L ok lar....but still a bit too short for birds. Else, if u got the moolah, maybe go for the behemoth Sigma 300-800mm instead?

:sweat: :sweat: :sweat:
I actually tot that with 300mm should enough already :sweat: :sweat:
How much it cost for those 500mm zoom?

juste_millieu said:

All primes here, no zoom,
300mm f/2.8, close to S$7k?
400mm f/2.8 close to S$15-17k?
500mm f/4 close to S$10k?
600mm f/4 close to S$15k?

Brand, either Nxxxx or Cxxxx listed above.

And frankly speaking, 300mm is not enough. :)

Even 600mm with 2x TC still... :nono: :nono: :nono: :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

depend on what bird also mah. if hummingbird, 1200mm also no enough ;p but for heron, 500mm would be quite ok.

mpenza said:
depend on what bird also mah. if hummingbird, 1200mm also no enough ;p but for heron, 500mm would be quite ok.

some birds 35mm also enough :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

juste_millieu said:

The sigma 50-500mm f4.5-6.3 is around $1.6k to $1.8k depending on where and how you enquire the price.

Well perhaps to compromise get a 400mm plus a 2xTC lor.... sacrifice some f-stops and DOF and bokeh lor... that's my thinking at the moment.... a Kenko might be good enough? Unless u like Canon's own TC lor...

AdamGoi said:
Bird people aka niao ren! :D
:think: :think: :think:
:D :D :D :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

TME said:
This one need ultra wide angle liaoz...

No need! 35mm can do ultra close-up mah! Maybe can even see the nostril! :bsmilie:

mpenza said:

I was trying to shoot a heron with a cp5700 fitted with a 2x tele (~560mm) from the viewing deck. heron cannot even fill half the frame. :sweat:

bonfire said:
I was trying to shoot a heron with a cp5700 fitted with a 2x tele (~560mm) from the viewing deck. heron cannot even fill half the frame. :sweat:

What kinda of 2x teleconvertor are you using ? Some like vitacon stated 2x but it is actually not even larger than 1.7x..
Besides.. if using a 500mm lens on a non-full frame DSLR.. it will be 800mm :devil:

Status
Not open for further replies.