What kinda Flash should i get for ma Nikon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rochkoh

Feb 8, 2002
Under your skin
Visit site
Thinking of getting a Flash for me Nikon. Any recommendations?

Are there huge differences (features and price) between the Sigma, Nikon and Metz Flashes?

It's a toss up between several.. Nikon SB-22, Metz 32 something.

hmmm..

:dunno:

If you want a really cheap one, you could try out Achiever's flashlights. They're usually much cheaper compared to the other 3 brands (for the same GN) and some come with dedication modules for Nikon. You have to careful though with the trigger voltage as some could be high.

You could find some info on external flash here too:
http://www.shutterbug.net/buyers_guide/flash/portable/charts/default.cfm

Ignore the prices though. They do not seem accurate at all.

Originally posted by mpenza
If you want a really cheap one, you could try out Achiever's flashlights. They're usually much cheaper compared to the other 3 brands (for the same GN) and some come with dedication modules for Nikon. You have to careful though with the trigger voltage as some could be high.

You could find some info on external flash here too:
http://www.shutterbug.net/buyers_guide/flash/portable/charts/default.cfm

Ignore the prices though. They do not seem accurate at all.

where can i get the Achiever flash?? looking at Achiever Z940LCD, Achiever 630AF and Achiever 260AF for my nikon too... was looking at Sigma EF500 ST at $210.. the 3 achiever are ard the GN of the sigma.. so if cheaper, will get the achiever.

and what's the prob with high trigger voltage? sorry.. dunno much..
thanks.

The charts on the shutterbug site are really misleading as they simply quote mfgs literature for GN without giving focal length. According to it: Nikon SB-28 is :118, Sigma EF430T is 142 (they don't even list the Sigma), Achiever 630 is 140. Yeah, right.

There are quite a few previous posts on what flash to get for nikon..... the same answers keep popping up.

Was quoted $210 for the SB-22 this afternoon. Think it's a decent buy - esp since i don't intend to go into any intensive flash photography. (e.g wedding photos etc.)

http://www.nikonusa.com/usa_product/product.jsp?cat=1&grp=4&productNr=4711NCP

More importantly however, was told by the folks at the camera shop that there'll potentially be fewer circuitry conflicts getting such a combination. Using 4 X AA-sized batteries too.

Checked out the Metz too while i was there. Was quoted at $190 (if my memory serves me well - getting old lahh). One thing to note though, (and this might sound like a very crude way of deciding anything) the Metz had only ONE (1) contact point with the camera while the SB-22 had like almost half a dozen contact points which fit nicely into the contact points of my Nikon. hmm..

Can't wait for CNY. Think my Ang Pows can somewhat finance part of the SB-22.

:D

which Metz were you shown? Is it the Metz 32 Z-1 (Cathay Photo told me it would cost around $170+)? I have a second hand one and it doesn't allow for any TTL metering. The 32 Z-2 would have it though.

Achiever 630AF costs $97 (quote from Cathay Photo).

You might want to get an equote from Cathay Photo for the Nikon SB22 too.

i believe it was the Metz 32 Z-2. The one with the TTL metering. Any idea how much that costs?

How's the Achiever 630AF treating you? Satisfied with it?
Good value for $$?

Yeah well, was quoted $230 from Cathay and $210 from Foto Guide just across. ;)

oh btw, da ya think they'll be snooping around this forum too? hahaha..

guess there issn't any harm comparing prices across these shops before buying eh?

I'm using the Metz 32 Z-1, not the Achiever 630AF. Got the Metz for $110 at a 2nd hand shop. Dunno whether I was overcharged or not though :p

Originally posted by rochkoh
Was quoted $210 for the SB-22 this afternoon. Think it's a decent buy - esp since i don't intend to go into any intensive flash photography. (e.g wedding photos etc.)

http://www.nikonusa.com/usa_product/product.jsp?cat=1&grp=4&productNr=4711NCP

More importantly however, was told by the folks at the camera shop that there'll potentially be fewer circuitry conflicts getting such a combination. Using 4 X AA-sized batteries too.

Checked out the Metz too while i was there. Was quoted at $190 (if my memory serves me well - getting old lahh). One thing to note though, (and this might sound like a very crude way of deciding anything) the Metz had only ONE (1) contact point with the camera while the SB-22 had like almost half a dozen contact points which fit nicely into the contact points of my Nikon. hmm..

Can't wait for CNY. Think my Ang Pows can somewhat finance part of the SB-22.

If there's only one contact, there is no TTL support. To do TTL on flashes, you need at least 3 contacts - Trigger, Squelch and Ground. For Metz flashes you will probably need to get the optional SCA adaptor for your camera in order to get TTL support. For other functions like focus assist, flash head zooming, relaying of camera information to the flash unit, flash ready light in viewfinder etc, you will need additional contacts.

I'd say go with the SB-22S. It will probably be a lot more compatible and give you less problems. If you can afford it, you can try getting used SB28, 26, 25, or 24 also.

Regards
CK

Ooooooookay. this certainly helped explain some things. many thanks CK!

mpenza, my mistake, it must have been the Metx 32 Z-1 (like i said, getting old lahh)

Think i'll start saving for the SB-22. and maybe lookout for some second hand SB-28/26s

Any idea how much these second hand ones will cost? Price range? Guess they should be pretty reliable.. then again all shopping involves a certain amount of luck. :)

you might want to try out The Camera Workshop and some of the 2nd hand shops in Peninsula area....

Originally posted by rochkoh
Ooooooookay. this certainly helped explain some things. many thanks CK!

mpenza, my mistake, it must have been the Metx 32 Z-1 (like i said, getting old lahh)

Think i'll start saving for the SB-22. and maybe lookout for some second hand SB-28/26s

Any idea how much these second hand ones will cost? Price range? Guess they should be pretty reliable.. then again all shopping involves a certain amount of luck. :)

Saw them for around $300 to $400 odd. And in the classifieds, I've seen people selling SB28s for like $350 or so.

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.