What kind of lousy buyer have u met before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rach

Apr 22, 2005
www.flickr.com
This buyer comes along. Tells me take a pic with the cam, send Him the pic so he can examine The pic to determine the quality of the cam. BUT he didn't have memory card.

Say he wants to deal but have no cash at the moment and he isn't prepare to get it today so tmr is better and so would deal tmr.
Dropped him an SMS in the night to ask if he confirm wants it. The reply came the next day and he said he got a better deal from elsewhere.
Isn't it iresponsible of him not to even inform me until I asked?

At least he replied. I believe many people had encountered people who dun even bother to reply SMS and when called, they won't pick up the phone.

At least he replied. I believe many people had encountered people who dun even bother to reply SMS and when called, they won't pick up the phone.

thats true...just felt that if he needs to think over then just said so instead of telling me he wants it and i have to hold it for him.

None so far. If you are not in a hurry to sell, can take your time to pick out the dodgy buyers. You can usually tell them apart from the way they structure their PM/SMS. It helps if you have a wide circle of photographer friends and good reputation on the forum. ;)

You can usually tell them apart from the way they structure their PM/SMS.;)

i agree with this method :thumbsup:, at least that's how i pick out the goofy buyers...those who are really serious buyers, won't ask all the c*o*c*k and bull questions.

if i have a gut feeling the buyer is going to play me out for a better deal, normally i would turn down the person request to go and meet him/her.

Last edited:
1. Offered the highest bid for an item I was selling, then after confirm deal, said no money at the moment, ask me to hold on to item until he gets money.

2. Offered the highest bid then use stalling tactics to close deal and eventually disappear. I suspect he was selling a similar item and was sabotaging my sale in the hope that he can sell his item faster.

That's nothing.

1. I am the buyer. I drove 30 minutes to the agreed place. He said he sold it already to another person.
2. Again, I am the seller. Agreed on a time and place. I showed up, he didn't. Happened twice.
3. I am the seller. We agreed on price. Then on the spot, he tried to bargain some more.

I had only met buyers/sellers who never pickup phone or response to sms after we had agreed to deal at a particular date/time. Normally, before I go to the meetup location, I will call or sms to confirm. If the person never respond, I will call off the deal. So far so good. :)

Just today I bought a lens from a seller who drove 50km from his house to my university just for the deal.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

That's nothing.

1. I am the buyer. I drove 30 minutes to the agreed place. He said he sold it already to another person.
2. Again, I am the seller. Agreed on a time and place. I showed up, he didn't. Happened twice.
3. I am the seller. We agreed on price. Then on the spot, he tried to bargain some more.
if u are the buyer, u should get the seller to meet u.

not the other way.

:)

but the TS's encounter with the buyer, that buyer should let the person know if he / she decides to drop interest as courtesy.

When I was selling off my 180mm f/2.8ED AFD and buyer had traveled all the way from some where far.

Buyer: Lens too small!
Me: :eek: ......

Speechless. Things like size and weight can be easily googled and yet...

I'm sorry for him that he wasted his time and energy to travel from the other end of the island just to see my tiny lens when he was expecting a dinosaur.

When I was selling off my 180mm f/2.8ED AFD and buyer had traveled all the way from some where far.

I'm sorry for him that he wasted his time and energy to travel from the other end of the island just to see my tiny lens when he was expecting a dinosaur.
sounds like a duff... he expects F1 race type of lens?

sadly, he has not discovered the internet yet...

what an S

hahaha..u ppl are funny

wow, its really interesting to share what kind of buyer/seller we encounter

Haa.. Bro.. seriously wan to know the buyer u spoke of..
But this is SG, where most ppl think BIG is "pro" :bsmilie:

SIZE does matter? :p

ya.

i loaned my friend my 105mm lens.

because he wanted the longest 'zoom' i have.

just a disclaimer, of course, the 105mm is not the longest, it's just the longest that i possess. (my possession are mostly mickey mouse kit)

it killed his interest immediately, as all he can see is close-up...

and he realised what he wants to see is EVERYTHING, which educated him that what he wants is a wide lenses, say 24mm etc.

so, yes, when a non photographer sees a long , big lenses, they tend to associate it with pro.

how to spot another noob?

when u lend your camera SLR / DSLR and the person uses both his / her hands to hold the body only, without holding the lens....

of course, when i lend a non camera operator, i always educate them,

1. u are my fren, any damage, i won't hold u liable.

2. because i won't hold u liable, farking put on the neck strap

and then, i hand my slr / dslr to them... fearlessly.

while they hold the camera body with both hands.... recipe for disaster!

For me , only one golden rule:

If i am buyer, i go to you at your convenient time. If i am seller, you come to me at my convenient time.

Rationale for this is simple.
1)If i am the buyer, i must think that whatever you are selling is at a good price and a good deal. So i should make an effort to 'rush' over to deal asap. This is good for the seller because i will not waste too much of his time if i happen to spot defects not described before and i will not feel bad walking away from the deal.
2)I i am the seller, and i know that i have priced it correctly in BNS section, the buyer should make an effort to come over. After all, this must be the best deal for him at the moment. And if he is not sincere, he would not make the effort to come over.

That said, i always try to be as accurate as possible when i describe item for sale. Be it condition or defects. And i call sellers to ascertain the same if i am the buyer.

I have dealt with a few dodgy buyers who call using private number. They would sometimes agree on price and even make appointment to trade. So i asked them to sms me their number to keep in touch. And wallaaaa, they would disappear into thin air never to be heard again.
So for me, i don't trade with people who call using private numbers.

And if buyer asks alot of questions through sms, i will immediately call(usually with another number) to speak directly. I find this easier/faster to clear doubts. And from phone, you can tell whether he is sincere or not.
Likewise, if i want to buy something, i will call seller directly if i have more questions than usual.

I also do not like to deal with sellers/buyers who prefer to deal through pms. I always feel that these are the people who are using pms to buy time and find the highest bid. Nothing wrong with trying to get the best price for his items, but there must be a certain stage of the negotiation that phone numbers have to be exchanged. Especially when there is an agreement to the deal.
Not all, but this cluster has the highest chances of playing out sincere buyers/sellers.

disclaimer: The above is only my opinions based on my personal experiences. It is by no means applied to the all members from Clubsnap.
In fact, Clubsnap scores at least 8.5 out of 10 for having the most sincere bunch.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

second that. recently responded to a shoot and client was more concerned on when to pay me rather than the shoot itself (venue, date/time). After settled with the payment method, I asked the client to confirm the shoot, never replied.

Happened to me too. think it is common.
the buyer beg beg beg so I just gave him the discount ($5) so not to waste my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.