what kind of lens should I get?

ShuWen

Mar 7, 2011
hi I'm a newbie and I am still learning.
I am planning to upgrade my lens
I am currently using a pentax kr stock lens.
I wanted to upgrade it but I not sure what kind of lens to get.
I need some advice on what kind of lens to get from the senior.
I am mostly shooting outdoor and senery

thanks in advance for the time and info you give me!

1st you need to let us know, what kit lens you are referring to (e.g. 18-55).
2nd Why do you want to upgrade ? (e.g. not wide enough, not long enough etc) *hopefully not the BBB Virus (Buy because others Buy is not a valid reason for upgrading)*
3rd Outdoor means anything outside the door....from street candids, cityscape, landscape, macro, bird shot. So, try to be more specific.

If you can't find anything wrong with the kit lens, I must advice you to keep shooting with it till you find something worth upgrading for.

What are you trying to achieve that the kit lens cannot? If you can answer that question, it will be easier for folks here to recommend what you need.

If you are not sure, it means you do not need to "upgrade" yet. Rather upgrade your skills, both in handling the camera, and in composition.

If you cant answer the question of what is lacking in your current gear/lens, then you really don't what you want to upgrade to, how can we tell?

I can read my wife's mind (50% of the time) but don't ask me to now read your mind too. It's tiring ... hen lei!

So if you can't do macro, get a macro lens.
If can't do zoom, get a telephoto zoom lens.
If can't do wide angle, get a wide angle lens.
If still don't what you want, go out and shoot some more till you know.
What could help you solve it is to join outings, and Pentax group here in CS has a large following. Join them and you'll be able to meet seniors and sifus who use the same system as you, and then you can try to borrow from them (with their permission, of course) to try on the spot. I'm sure they won't say 'No', unless you are the rough and don't regard others property.

Cheers!

PS: Don't be offended I hope :) Smile and the world smiles with you!

Last edited:
I think almost every newbie has this exact same question on his/her mind wanting for seniors to answer... I did! I found out that the only solution (that worked for me) is to keep shooting with your kit lens and not upgrade for the sake of upgrading. When you truly feel limited by your kit lens, you'll know which type of lens you want - as dingaroo says, macro/telephoto/wide angle/etc.

Thereafter, read online reviews and search for forum threads that already discussed about the lenses you are considering. All the best!

phyll said:
I think almost every newbie has this exact same question on his/her mind wanting for seniors to answer... I did! I found out that the only solution (that worked for me) is to keep shooting with your kit lens and not upgrade for the sake of upgrading. When you truly feel limited by your kit lens, you'll know which type of lens you want - as dingaroo says, macro/telephoto/wide angle/etc.

Thereafter, read online reviews and search for forum threads that already discussed about the lenses you are considering. All the best!

This is the best advice.

Keep shooting until you have enough knowledge to know what you want to do.
Do you need a diff focal length or do you want a sharper image.

My first lens was the 24-70L. Same focal length that I had with an amazing increase in image quality.

If in doubt rent a lens for a weekend before buying.

The longer you can delay the purchase decision then the more likely you are to
make the right one.

phyll said:

This is the best advice.

Keep shooting until you have enough knowledge to know what you want to do.
Do you need a diff focal length or do you want a sharper image.

My first lens was the 24-70L. Same focal length that I had with an amazing increase in image quality.

If in doubt rent a lens for a weekend before buying.

The longer you can delay the purchase decision then the more likely you are to
make the right one.