What kind of lens for what kind of camera

n3wbi3

Dec 15, 2008
Hi all,

I would like to know how we can differentiate what kind of lens can be used on FF cameras and 1.6x, 1.3 crop factor ones.

Hi all,

I would like to know how we can differentiate what kind of lens can be used on FF cameras and 1.6x, 1.3 crop factor ones.
depends on the brand

Canon uses EF (for full-frame) and EF-S (for cropped bodies)
whilst
Nikon uses DX (for cropped bodies). As long as a Nikkor lens has no DX designated, it's for full-frame bodies.

am unfamiliar with the others, though I think Tamron uses 'Di' for cropped bodies.

Hi all,

For Canon? (EOS lenses 1987 till today)
EF-S = 1.6x only.
EF = can fit all current models.
L = can fit all current models.

For Nikon? (lenses from 1959 till today)
DX in the lens name = meant for 1.5x. But will fit FF bodies also. Some will vignette. Some ok at certain focal lengths. If you set FF body to digital crop mode, the lenses will work just like a DX cam.
AF-S, AF-I, without DX label = can fit all current models with full functionality.
AF-D, AF = can fit all models. AF only on D90/D80/D70/D50 and above model lines
Ai, Ais, Ai'd = can fit all models, MF only, metering only on D300(s)/D200/D100 and above model lines.
Pre-Ai = can fit only D5000 D3000 D60 D40x D40 models. MF, M mode with no metering.

Canon's 1.3x crop bodies would probably require the EF lenses... I think EF-S lenses cannot cover the sensor fully.

Please take note that EF-S will not mount on certain APS-C models such as EOS 10D, D60 and D30 :)

For Sigma the naming convention is
DG for FF
DC for Cropped

For Tokina
DX for cropped
Anything else is FF (nothing or D)

You can check with the respective 3rd party lens manufacturer web sites. Usually they state whether the lens can be used with 'Digital SLR'. Although a bit misleading, most of them use this term to refer to any form of crop sensor body.