What kind of camera would I need to take these kind of photographs?

pillz

Nov 23, 2010
Hi all,

I'm very new to photography and hope everyone will guide me along.

Recently I have stumbled on some of the entries for the Nat Geo Photography competition here:
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/11/national_geographics_photograp.html

and am wondering what kind of camera is needed to take those photos? Also same with the following:
http://matadornetwork.com/trips/photo-essay-the-most-alien-landscapes-on-earth

Thanks!

You probably just need.. a camera. Fullstop.

someone with very good eye for photography, a good camera, and of course, good post processing skills. that should do it for those images.

handphone camera perhaps :) the idea is to be there and then :)

With regards to the 2nd link, I think the idea is just... to be there. The landscapes are amazing- although it takes an experienced photographer to capture that well.

u wun go wrong by buying the most expensive camera, top of the line lens, and tripod.

some really nice pics...

btw, need more that a camera.... a fat wallet and a plane or helicopter is required too!

I do suggest you learn more about photography first. Once you have some knowledge, the answers are quite obvious.

In all cases, it could be ANY DSLR camera. The key are the lenses. For the bee shot, he obviously used a fisheye lens. For the wildlife shot, a telephoto zoom lens. Many of those shots could be taken with a kit lens. For the underwater shot, he probably had an underwater casing. Some pictues have a clear description... long exposure, tripod, etc.

The trick is to be in the right place at the right time and not have forgotten your camera.

I agree with most said.
You have to be there. with a camera and ready.
Any decent camera may do.

Thanks all for your replies.

Special thanks to Rashkae i found your answer very informative. Will continue to read up ... i have no idea on lenses so it was a interesting perspective you gave me.

I don't really want to spend a lot, but from some threads i have read here asking someone to recommend a camera is almost like starting a war haha.

Thanks everyone!

I agree with most said.
You have to be there. with a camera and ready.
Any decent camera may do.

What kind of camera do you consider decent? At least a DSLR with lens and tripod?

I personally think that there is another very important aspect which is patience.
They can camp at a location for days out in the jungle or safari just to capture that single magical moment. And these photos are really the cream of the crop of the whole series (up to thousands of shots for animal action) that the photographer took.

Hi all,

I'm very new to photography and hope everyone will guide me along.

Recently I have stumbled on some of the entries for the Nat Geo Photography competition here:
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/11/national_geographics_photograp.html

and am wondering what kind of camera is needed to take those photos? Also same with the following:
http://matadornetwork.com/trips/photo-essay-the-most-alien-landscapes-on-earth

Thanks!

Basically a DSLR with any decent lens can shoot that way. But you'd need to understand the subject and how you need to expose the shot to get the result you want. :)

I do suggest you learn more about photography first. Once you have some knowledge, the answers are quite obvious.

In all cases, it could be ANY DSLR camera. The key are the lenses. For the bee shot, he obviously used a fisheye lens. For the wildlife shot, a telephoto zoom lens. Many of those shots could be taken with a kit lens. For the underwater shot, he probably had an underwater casing. Some pictues have a clear description... long exposure, tripod, etc.

The trick is to be in the right place at the right time and not have forgotten your camera.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Well said.

A better camera you can buy with money but not patience.

When you are asking questions like these, you will usually get more trash answers than constructive ones... The pictures in the link provided are taken with different lenses from fish eye lens, ultra-wide, etc. Read up a bit from the internet and I believe you will benefit more from reading trash.

Thanks all for your replies.

Special thanks to Rashkae i found your answer very informative. Will continue to read up ... i have no idea on lenses so it was a interesting perspective you gave me.

I don't really want to spend a lot, but from some threads i have read here asking someone to recommend a camera is almost like starting a war haha.

Thanks everyone!

A better camera you can buy with money but not patience.

Patience is the key word, and you need to be there, ten years ago... 1 year ago... yesterday...today and tomorrow just to get that magic shoot. If above is no possible, just view and enjoy, this is part of the life. :)

When you are asking questions like these, you will usually get more trash answers than constructive ones... The pictures in the link provided are taken with different lenses from fish eye lens, ultra-wide, etc. Read up a bit from the internet and I believe you will benefit more from reading trash.

Perhaps your language can be milder mate, nothing against you personally, but using the word trash doesn't really substantiate your reply as constructive. I do believe there are things to learnt in this forum, from criticism to advices, people can learn differently, just like how trashy junk food can still keep people running :think:

As for TS, any decent PnS or DSLR would do, but photographs like these requires years of experience and practice, and of course resources that are probably sponsored too..

Last edited:

:thumbsd: :thumbsd: :thumbsd: :thumbsd: :thumbsd: