What kind of camera to look for newbie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldlady

Sep 27, 2004
Ive intentino to buy a camera but is there any recommendations for a start for someone who doesnt hv a single knowledge on even how to use a camera? I am attracted by the features yet am worried it may be difficult for me. My budget lies between $500-700. Thanks~!!!!! :)

Oldlady said:
Ive intentino to buy a camera but is there any recommendations for a start for someone who doesnt hv a single knowledge on even how to use a camera? I am attracted by the features yet am worried it may be difficult for me. My budget lies between $500-700. Thanks~!!!!! :)

Canon A95 is very good at the 600 price range

hmm.. it depends on what kind of pictures you'll be intending to take.. snapshots of friends and family? do you intend to go further into photography?

hmm, you could go to www.dpreview.com to read the reviews on all the cameras before making your decision..

hope that helped. :D

If you want something compact, you may to consider the Canon IXUS 430 ... it's a 4mp camera, going @ a promotional price of S$699 and it comes with a 128mb CF storage card ... ;)

My perspective ... get a simple but good film camera. I'd suggest the Olympus Mju-II ... it has a fixed 35mm f/2.8 lens, meaning that it's very good and shots in low light (eg. nighttime) with flash will more often than not come out properly. Also has spot metering, so that the exposure is calculated correctly. And is also splash-proof (so can get slightly wet without harm, though I wouldn't try dropping it into the pool !)

Best of all, you can get this for perhaps $180 ... and you can spend the rest of your budget on film and printing. Experiment with different print film (ASA 100, 200, 400) to see which ones you like ... I find Fuji give warmer tones so good for shots with people in them.

Thanks!!~

Looks like there's so much more to learn about photography. I got interested in taking photos after I took a sunset in Myanmar which I really liked alot but the technical parts n equipments kinda of put me off...

Appreciate the guides.. :bsmilie:

ericp said:
My perspective ... get a simple but good film camera. I'd suggest the Olympus Mju-II ... it has a fixed 35mm f/2.8 lens, meaning that it's very good and shots in low light (eg. nighttime) with flash will more often than not come out properly...

OldLady: Yeah, I love my Oly Mju-II! Great lens for the price...neverwouldathought! I'd suggest starting with the Olympus, then as you find the need to have more control over yr picture-taking get a more elaborate camera.

Hewland

Status
Not open for further replies.