Status
Not open for further replies.

zig

Deregistered
Sep 14, 2004
woodlands baby!
hello people
i have left about 5 months more to go doing my NS,im 23
so i have been thinking seriously about what i want to do for real when i get out of that wretched place.
And photography seemed really to be what i wan to do, i always enjoyed photography while i was in NAFA, i either was doing photoshop or shooting
but i stopped because well film and developing are really the silent killers.
towards the end of last year i saved up enough and signed up to objectifs to brush up my skills...
i cant say i have much skills yet, or much talent, but i really have a burning desire for this craft.
i just bombed 3k on a 20d on top of courses and my previous beloved nikon
i invested about 5-6k so i dont want to give it up im past the point of no return. besides im really from an average family and not rich. so its a big investment for me and my family who have been so supportive.

Coming from a design background i have a penchant, for loud colours extreme crops and stuff deemed "wrong" in photography haha!
i have seen only one fashion before and i love the energy and dynamism
it exudes and i fell in love with fashion photography.
so my question is how do i go about becoming a professional photographer in the fashion field, or even a top fashion lensman like geoff ang or mark law?

thank you all for you patience with my long posting

Passion & professional dun really mix too well.

u are most likely shooting wad ur clients like instead.

it is usually not a 1 man show,u will need a make up artist,hairstylist and maybe someone doing editing as well..

PR skills are more important than photography skill IMO

a strong portfolio will help too.

work as a PA to those fashion photographers, it will give you a good insight and earn some money and gain valuable experience first.

thats what i hear from most people also.. go assist or appretice with someone
but im sure there are so many other people who would want to assist geoff ang mark law or russell wong.
my cousin got a chance to assist mr. russel wong and even offered his services for free but missed it because my cousin went abroad the day mr russell wong called..!
i mean i really am a humble earnest chap...but i do not want to work for free dude!

zig said:
thats what i hear from most people also.. go assist or appretice with someone
but im sure there are so many other people who would want to assist geoff ang mark law or russell wong.
my cousin got a chance to assist mr. russel wong and even offered his services for free but missed it because my cousin went abroad the day mr russell wong called..!
i mean i really am a humble earnest chap...but i do not want to work for free dude!

you do not have to work for free, work as an paid assistant, last i heard Mark Law assistant left, dunno if he is looking for one, try make cold calls.

hi! ... i want to go into photography full time and seems like assisting is a rite of passage many have to go thru
so i want to assist too!
i have no assisting experince befor but i have taken a studio photography course before so i roughly know how to set up lights and metering and that sorta stuff...
im very eager to learn so please point and teach many many(tuo tuo tze jiao)
my email is codeine2251@hotmail.com

zig said:
hi! ... i want to go into photography full time and seems like assisting is a rite of passage many have to go thru
so i want to assist too!
i have no assisting experince befor but i have taken a studio photography course before so i roughly know how to set up lights and metering and that sorta stuff...
im very eager to learn so please point and teach many many(tuo tuo tze jiao)
my email is codeine2251@hotmail.com

DARREN?? LOL

zig said:
I have seen only one fashion before and i love the energy and dynamism
it exudes and i fell in love with fashion photography.
so my question is how do i go about becoming a professional photographer in the fashion field, or even a top fashion lensman like geoff ang or mark law?

thank you all for you patience with my long posting

All areas of professional photography have similar core requirements and those as follows:

Talent / Originality
Technical knowledge and the ability to put it in to practice
A critical 'eye' for detail
Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
Ability to work to a budget.
Good commuication skills (all types)
Adaptablity
Tennacity

As well as the above you need a solid and practical ability to run a business, after all professional photography is a business, just like any other be it manufacturing or retail etc, Stock handling, ordering, the ability to provide accurate quotations, contracts, and an understanding of relevant business law etc is vital if you want to survivie in the industry.

You'll find there's a lot more to becoming a professional photographer than the few items I've listed above and it's not until you start on the long haul to becoming a professional photographer that your own shortcomings will become apparent.

As I keep on saying on this site, professional photography calls many, but accepts few.

Jed said:
Ability to spell would help too :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

"We all make mistakes" said the Dalek climbing off the dustbin..... :dunno:

it would be nice to hear from any professional commercial/fashion photographers about this
what's the market like in Singapore, what's a good path to go through, how did they start out?
magazine submissions? etc etc

i don't know about fashion, but i am repeatedly reminded there is no such thing as a shortcut in commercial photography, especially if you are talking about a market like Singapore. i am speaking from a point-of-view of an apprentice.

you will have to take on a wide variety of jobs in order to sustain your business. one day you could be shooting food for a restaurant, the next an interior shoot for a show-room, then a catalogue shoot for a shopping mall's upcoming sale, maybe a lifestyle shoot for an ad, or an editorial assignment for a local magazine. you will have to be well-equipped and well-versed in your photography in order to call yourself a 'professional photographer'. you cannot be caught in a situation when your client expect something from you, and you say 'i cannot do it..i don't know how to'.

when you are on a shoot, people expect results, and these people who pay you are usually impatient people. it may be fine if you are working alone, but when you are on a shoot with art directors, stylists, assistants..the stress levels build up. you are working people who know their stuff, who know what they want. you HAVE to produce results there and then.

and the thing about commercial photography is, a measure of your success is not when your clients come back to you 3,4 times, but rather, 3,4 years. contact building and portfolio is essential, just like in any other business. the only way i can think of at the moment, in reply to mattlock's question, is to really start from the bottom up. gain experience and learn the ropes. seize whatever opportunities that come your way (try taking on small-scale jobs).

there's really a difference between shooting for leisure, and shooting for livelihood. if there's really a faster way, i would really really love to know it!

Status
Not open for further replies.