What is your take on commuters reading newspaper while standing during perak hours?

USM

Apr 25, 2002
Visit site
This is nothing new to everyone if you have taken MRT trains.

But I am more concerned on such act during rush hours as the train cabins are packed like sardines, yet some commuters choose to read newspaper while standing. As a result, other commuters couldn't get on board the trains.

I have seen many times such commuters are too engrossed in reading the papers and glued themselves to the floor. As such, they will not move in, they will just stand where they are unless someone shouted "excuse me" or push them.

What is your take on such activity in the trains? Should we restrain ourseleves from reading while standing especially during peak hours? :think:

Perhaps SMRT should include another ruling...NO reading on the floor. That should plug the loophole.

Actually, there is no need to impose any rule as long as everyone is conscious about it.

The keyword is "自动".

I am OK with it.. most of them are "automatic". The only thing which pisses me is the mrt keeps blaming the passengers for not moving in though every morning I take the train it was really packed like sardine. Now the circle-line has really ease the packing.. ;)

It depends on how much the passenger fold his or her newspaper. Taking the full of sh!t $0.90 newspaper for example, some leave it as it is 100%, while others fold it by 1/2 with the most skilled "balance and read while you stand on a moving train" passenger folding it by 1/4. ;)

As for me, I read top quality news for free on my smartphone. :lovegrin:

if reading the newspaper in the train takes up 2 human spaces then the reader should pay fare for 2 persons. otherwise he should stick to reading top quality news for free on his smartphone. :)

Perak?? Or berak (I think Malay for doing the nature call thingie)?? :bsmilie: I thought suddenly we have become a subordinate nation under the Malaysian state...

Anyway, irritating as hell if he is doing it during peak hours... I wouldn't mind standing near him and wait for the moment when MRT starts to break hard, and then I'll pretend I needed to break a fall.... Ooops, Sorlie!!! :bsmilie: In other words, he is so boeh "自动"! Invicible rules of the concrete jungle 101, dude. If you can't be mindful of others, why should others do the same?

And yeah, get the iPAD, dude!!

Last edited:
It depends on how much the passenger fold his or her newspaper. Taking the full of sh!t $0.90 newspaper for example, some leave it as it is 100%, while others fold it by 1/2 with the most skilled "balance and read while you stand on a moving train" passenger folding it by 1/4. ;)

As for me, I read top quality news for free on my smartphone. :lovegrin:

Agree with this. Some people can read even a tiny book and take up the space of two humans; others can read NST and take up the space of 1.2 persons (and not poking me with the papers either).

.........ppl sleep and take up space, other ppl boh song. ppl read newspaper oso got other ppl boh song........haizzz......

everyone should get a smartphone to read the news. save paper, save tree, save space on MRT

Not every one is rich to buy smartphone nor smart enough to operate smartphone or find it a need to use a smartphone. All it takes is a little grace and understanding to make it a better travel experience for everyone. Saying is easy doing is difficult. Why? cos SG is a small island that house multi country citizens, some may not be as graceful compare to other.

I really do not think it wrong to read the papers neither should it be banned.

Why?
The individual should be aware and take effort to move if needed or fold the papers into quarters vertically so that one do not have to spread the hands wide.

In simple words, be considerate and everything is fine.
Respect one another.

This is always a common sight even during peak hours.

But the worst are those who carry thick backpacks and read papers.. effectively taking up 2x standing space.. :thumbsd:

If they're considerate enough.. they'd put their backpacks on the floor between their legs and maybe fold the papers to 1/2 or 1/4 the size..:sticktong

Actually, there is no need to impose any rule as long as everyone is conscious about it.

The keyword is "自动".

Yes the word in "auto". Too bad everyone is too engross with what they are doing. You can be engross with something as tiny as a iphone (may not be holding something as 'big' as a newspaper) reading, playing game, making phone call... and making yourself a road block.

If or problem need to be solve with specific law there will be a lot..
1) no reading or newspaper
2) no iphone gaming and reading
3) no reading of book
4) no phone call

Does it really have to go to such extend to impose a law if ppl cannot be educate. So sad to know that we are getting to that now.

yeah..those with backpack should put it on the floor. i remember once came in 3 NS guy during peak hour and stood beside me. as they dont bother to put the bag down and keep pushing the bag towards me, i also bo-chup lor and push them back :D . i stood there not budging at all. after a few stations, only then he "realized" it and turn his back to another commuter....

Why blame the consumer for reading in the boring long journey? You can't expect everyone stand like a log with no bag etc. In new york subway, there are people bring in bicycle, drink kopi and eating loti and no one give a damn.

Also can we also blame vertical challenge people or big frame angmos for taking up 2 or more ordinary persons' space? Should they pay more fare then?

How about parent with baby pram? They are paying single fare but could potentially takes up 3 persons lots.

IMO the train operator should be the one to make sure they provide enough supplies for the demand....if there are ample train frequencies, people will not need to rush and scrambles for space :sweat:a

Why blame the consumer for reading in the boring long journey? You can't expect everyone stand like a log with no bag etc. In new york subway, there are people bring in bicycle, drink kopi and eating loti and no one give a damn.

Also can we also blame vertical challenge people or big frame angmos for taking up 2 or more ordinary persons' space? Should they pay more fare then?

How about parent with baby pram? They are paying single fare but could potentially takes up 3 persons lots.

IMO the train operator should be the one to make sure they provide enough supplies for the demand....if there are ample train frequencies, people will not need to rush and scrambles for space :sweat:a

I don't think we are trying to blame anyone physically challenged.

There are times to read a book and times to think if dredging for an already very limited space is a good idea or not. If you're a concerned human being, don't make it any worse for others (cramming like a sardine is already very unconfortable, imaging a few sardine decides to read a book...) Think of it this way, a man directly facing you reads a newspaper (in a language you don't understand), and then flipping the pages right in your face (and you can't turn around because there are people packed beside you)...

As for those with prams? I've seen those just leaving the empty pram (not to mention excessively huge one) just parked in a space already constraint during peak hours. The ideal thing would be just fold it up, if one of the freed family member could do it of course. I've seen many times a couple (or big family), wife holding the baby, father (nothing in his hands and sitting down) just leave the pram out in the open like that while everyone stands around them....

In New York, nobody complains doesn't mean you know what they are thinking in their minds... Just like some of us (particularly timid ones) would just feel irritated but chose not say anything out loud. It also depends on what is an exceptable standard from country to country.

Lastly, we can blame the train operators all we like - sometimes it's their fault, sometimes not. We can't simply assume it's ALL their fault. Have we even bothered to praise them when the trains run smoothly and at times when we need not to behave like sardines??... No...

Last edited:
agree with kriegsketten
what we are saying here is that they should be more considerate to others, that's all...

We are not blaming them for reading anything in the MRT (of course we all know it is really bore to stand or sit on a long journey)...but we are asking the 'reader' to be take note of the 'problem' they may cause (engross with the reading a blocking someone to alight or getting up a train). It just take you a few second to look up (whenever a train stop) to check if you are blocking anyone.