What is your stand on reserving seats using using Tissue in the Food Court etc.

What is your stand on reserving seats using Tissue/belonging in the Food Court etc.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

airfins

Jun 22, 2007
Anfield, L4
www.flickr.com
After reading another thread Here regarding this matter, I am interested to find out what is the stand of the other members here in CS. There is no right or wrong, just want to know what is the ratio of the Yes Vs No's ;)

Well, it depends.

If you're with a group or another friend, you can always take turns to buy food and have someone at the table. It just irks me to see that people are just leaving packets of tissue papers around and goes off to get food even when they are in a group or have another friend with them. If you are alone and wants to get a seat near the stall that you're patronising, it's understandable and I'm pretty OK with that.

After reading another thread Here regarding this matter, I am interested to find out what is the stand of the other members here in CS. There is no right or wrong, just want to know what is the ratio of the Yes Vs No's ;)

What does it matter how many yes or no?

i normally eat alone,
without chopping,
i'll end up eating standing.

What does it matter how many yes or no?
This will at least let the others know what is the general public reaction to their action, so that they can decided whether to follow the majority. Be it Yes or No, if we have an idea of what is the general public acceptance towards this practice, then we can be more conscious about the situation and not a big fuss over it.

just because a mob says its so doesn't make it right. For this i'd look at the context. If its a group then yes i think its rude. If its someone dining alone then its alright since he's got no way of ordering and keeping his seat.

This will at least let the others know what is the general public reaction to their action, so that they can decided whether to follow the majority. Be it Yes or No, if we have an idea of what is the general public acceptance towards this practice, then we can be more conscious about the situation and not a big fuss over it.

If you know statistical theory, you'll realise CS KPT is by no means a representative sample. Which means whatever results you get will not be a "general public" reaction.

askeywan said:
Mmmmm may I ask you back then how DID you arrive at the fact that the majority in Singapore do not endorse the idea of reserving seats with tissue paper?

I did not, I merely questioned how you arrived at that conclusion because you used it to substantiate and support your view that when in Rome do as Romans do.

Well, it depends.

If you're with a group or another friend, you can always take turns to buy food and have someone at the table. It just irks me to see that people are just leaving packets of tissue papers around and goes off to get food even when they are in a group or have another friend with them. If you are alone and wants to get a seat near the stall that you're patronising, it's understandable and I'm pretty OK with that.

My stand on this is directly opposite yours. Mathematically speaking, taking turns to buy food is a serious waste of time in places like the CBD. Why not just go by the tissue method, eat and get the heck out of there ASAP? I mean even if you leave a guy there to "chop" the seats, the rest of the empty seats ain't going to be utilized also. I'm still waiting for the day where all hawker/foodcourts will implement the "marche" style of using flip cardboards to denote the seat has been reserved. Then everyone will have a common understanding that the seat is taken.

When I'm alone....just da bao lor.

what's the difference between leaving behind a tissue pack of paper and leaving a person behind. If we were to think rationally, if the whole group buys their food together, they can all finish off faster and the seat will be vacated faster for others to use. Usually the whole group will wait for the last person to finish before leaving together. No?

So what about leaving behind a note that says "These seats are taken, Thank you" Leaving a person behind does the same thing right?

I've never tried the "leave tissue behind" method, instead we always leave a friend behind. Usually me, because I'm less picky with food and eat rather fast.
I have several experience on several occassions that someone just comes along with their food and sits down without asking. When I or my friend/colleague politely tell them "Sorry the seat's taken" he totally ignores me and some even wave on to their friends "Come come there are seats here" :thumbsup:

So it doesn't matter if you leave a packet of tissue, note, person behind. If they have no basic courteosy, they just don't.

what's the difference between leaving behind a tissue pack of paper and leaving a person behind. If we were to think rationally, if the whole group buys their food together, they can all finish off faster and the seat will be vacated faster for others to use. Usually the whole group will wait for the last person to finish before leaving together. No?

So what about leaving behind a note that says "These seats are taken, Thank you" Leaving a person behind does the same thing right?

I've never tried the "leave tissue behind" method, instead we always leave a friend behind. Usually me, because I'm less picky with food and eat rather fast.
I have several experience on several occassions that someone just comes along with their food and sits down without asking. When I or my friend/colleague politely tell them "Sorry the seat's taken" he totally ignores me and some even wave on to their friends "Come come there are seats here" :thumbsup:

So it doesn't matter if you leave a packet of tissue, note, person behind. If they have no basic courteosy, they just don't.
I agreed to that as the time taken is in fact longer for groups to take turns to buy and than wait for the last person to finish eating before leaving.

Here's what I do. I see tissue packets on the table, I collect them all and offer them to the tables around me before settling in. The tissue packets were free to take. No name printed on them apart from Paseo. ;)

Just to clarify - if I remember correctly, in the previous thread the point of contestion was whether this practice is approved by the majority of Singaporeans. So, should this poll reflect the opinion of Singapore citizens, Singapore residents, or everyone?

Would like to find out from all those who have encountered this particular "culture" of ours while living in or visiting Singapore ;)

Looks like given the prevalence of the practice, I don't have to buy tissue paper for a very long time already :) HEHE

Where

Where is the best place to collect?

why i cannot vote ah? anyway, i'm for choing seat with tissue paper packet.

Status
Not open for further replies.