What is your number one problem when it comes to selling photos?

jgagarin

May 8, 2007
I apologize in advance I know what I'm asking here is actually a lot.

I've been covering sporting events for a while now and my number one problem is how to monetize it.
Sports photography is a high maintenance hobby it would be good if we can get something in return to support it.

Since I work in I.T. I've decided to create my own website where I can sell not only my work but also help others to sell theirs.
The site is now live (racedaypic.com) but I am not sure if it really addressed/solved the problem of most photographers.
What is your number one problem when it comes to selling racing event photos?

P.S. I would really appreciate if you can visit racedaypic.com and give feedback.

Thanks,
Jag

the first thing you need to find out is WHO NEEDS racing event photos?
and are they BADLY NEEDED?

if there is no DEMAND, or TOO LITTLE DEMANDS, or already OVERLY SUPPLY.
no matter how hard you work, you won't able to sell much.

That's a good question.
WHO NEEDS? Its not a need for sure but race participants wants/likes to have their photos of a racing events.

There is a small demand say 5-10% of participants. But there is 1000 average participants in an event and some big events like standard chartered run even have 30,000 participants.

That's a good question.
WHO NEEDS? Its not a need for sure but race participants wants/likes to have their photos of a racing events.

There is a small demand say 5-10% of participants. But there is 1000 average participants in an event and some big events like standard chartered run even have 30,000 participants.

Then the next question, how do you make sure these people can find you?

Before all those questions. Will you violate the new personal data protection thingy. ..

Before all those questions. Will you violate the new personal data protection thingy. ..

Should not be an issue as long as the photo is taken in a public place.

Then the next question, how do you make sure these people can find you?

There are multiple ways to reach the participants (e.g. FB, flyers, business cards, organizers FB page)

your business case is just like those tourist attractions where the staffs will take pictures of the tourists in the beginning and will try to sell the pictures back to them when they finish the tour.. i doubt the 5%-10% will pay $10 of a picture of them jogging, sorry to sound negative but then again, no harm trying. i do wish u can have some measure of success in this :)..

I've always wondered what the conversion rate was. Of my friends (5-6)who regularly participate in runs, I've not known any of them to purchase any images. They're usually happy just with posting a link of the watermarked image.

That's a good question.

NEEDS, is die die must have.

WANT, is when money no issue than I want.

LIKE, is free wan than I like.

Public space shots are fine as long no prominent feature on the person.
In your case, this is close up shot and feature the person. You can kiss your public space argument goodbye.

For instance, If I'm the runner who got shot and someone download and use my picture for commercial purpose,
I'm sure I'll go balistic on you.

Better be careful.

Photos will be sold on the site but a disclaimer/notice that in cannot be use for any commercial/advertising purposes. Many companies are already doing the same e.g Finisherpix.com Marathon-photos.com.

Yes, I know those.
Those are officials, they are with the event organizers, and you might be surprised if they have T&C / fine prints during registration for allowing the official media event coverage. But you are not.

I'm just saying man. Better play safe. Take care! :)

Thanks SCULDER. I better be careful in writing those disclaimers. :)

If I were you, I'll go to the lawyer or at least someone who expert in legal things. before you use much energy / money on this.
This is Singapore. Everything has to be legal & official. Good luck!

I'm googling for lawyers now. Thanks for the advice :)

if you'd like I can introduce you to a lawyer familiar with the PDPA

I can tell you frankly that sports photography genre locally is not easy because of the hobby and amatuer market. I am not going to be politically correct just being matter of fact and ill intention to anyone, it is simply the way things are and difficult to change.

There are pros doing it, but its seldom their main field of photography work. There are many amatuers doing it on the side, for very low fee and very often for free. Plus the low and decreasing number of proper paying gigs, its not a practical thing. Schools and private sport clubs often have their own photo hobby guy or can easily find one too. People doing it for a living are seldom interested in selling a photo or two for a few bucks and hoping players will buy a photo or two. They prefer decent rates by the per hour basics and be done with.