What is your next lens?

pendora

Jun 8, 2011
Singapore North and West
Come on, lets face it. Although Most people would say keep shooting instead of buying new lens, but most of us are obsessed with the idea of another new lens. It may be for practical rationale(simply for the functionality of taking good photos) or even un-satisfactory nature of guy(always wanting better equipments). Do share what is your "Next Lens".

For those seniors that are more experienced, maybe you can share with us how you overcome your obsession with the "next lens" or how u get to be so contented and happy over your collection.

Btw, Happy New Year!

for me, there are 3 things:

first is to budget and save up to get the gear that u need. i'm not in favour of buying a "cheap" substitutes. if u need that one, save up and buy THAT one. it saves u the trouble of having buyer's remorse and wishing that u had bought something else instead.

second is when u realise that the lens is really only part of the equation and there's a lot of other stuff that u need to look out for to get the shot that u want, the appeal of the new lens diminishes. there are some aspects that can be helped by buying better / additional equipment, but there are some areas that money can't buy. taking time to review your shots and trying to understand "what's missing?" will give u that insight.

third is price : performance : utility ratio. price is not a good gauge of a len's quality and utility. a cheap M lens may give u decent pictures and a large aperture but u lose some function. an expensive "star" lens may give u WR, and some models are great but some are just so-so. its important to understand what u're paying for and whether its worth it.

its not really a way to "limit temptation". but more to make informed decisions and smart purchases. i will buy stuff. i like new toys. but i also do not want to end up with lots of trash or stuff i don't use and can't sell.

Interesting topic.

It's almost 4 years since I purchased my first DSLR, the wonderful K100Ds, with a kit lens. Since then, I've upgraded to the K-7, and bought and sold about 10 lenses, and am now more or less settled with these 4: DA21, FA43, DA70 and K135. (I hardly use the K135 though I like it, so in fact, I can make do with just the first 3 lenses.)

Except for the kit lenses which came with the k100ds, all other lenses I got are second hand, so it wasn't as costly as it sounds to buy/sell so many. Besides, buying 2nd hand means you generally don't make a loss when selling lenses. I never did.

As for how I get to my final lineup, it's a matter of trial and error. It helps I could borrow lenses during Pentax outings.

It helps too, i found out very early on, that i like primes, more specifically, I love the discreet limited series.. they just suit the subjects I shoot. These sound simple, but it took 2 long years to get to that 'zen' stage of not feeling the lust for more lenses. :)

I have the following:Manual LensesK85 F1.8Polar 135 F2.8A50 F1.4Chinon 50 F1.4Vivitar 28-135 F3.5-4.5AF LensesSigma 75-300 DL F3.5-5.6FA24-90 F3.5-4.5DA50-200 F3.5-5.6 WRDA18-135 F3.5-5.6 WRDA*16-50 F2.8FA43 F1.9 Limited (Silver)FA77 F1.8 Limited (Silver) Most are from my manual SLR days. I have been wishing to get the FA31 and the Tamron 70-200 F2.8, but I don't see myself using it very often to justify the purchase. So it has stopped me buying lenses for the moment. You also need to know what you re going to shoot it with. If you see yourself not using it that much, then you will be buying a white elephant. With my current arsenal of lenses, some are already white elephants . . . ;p I have recently moved to the K5 too.

Last edited:
Its up to you to control your own LBA.
I know cause I had really bad LBA.
Trying will let you want to buy it at 1st, only after you try awhile then you will realise you may not want/need it.

I started from Kx, to Kr to K5.
Started with 18-55 and 55-200, realise should try longer range, sold 55-200 for 55-300.

Newbies usually start with zooms, so did I.
Realise benefits of F2.8, bought Tamron 17-50 and 70-200.
They are really good, but zoom creeps, weight and LBA is a problem.
In the end sold both for Da*16-50 and Da*50-135.

Then bought Pentax Fisheye, sold it soon after to fund Sigma 8-16 to get the best of both worlds (wide/fisheye effect) imo.

Realised the quality of Pentax's primes, bought 15, 31, 77.
Wanna try F1.4, bought Sigma 50.
In the end sold 15 and 77 as I seldom use that focal length.

lol I took the expensive route, buy and try.
Now Im just left with the essential ones that I use alot.

Its Pentax, thus you may not be able to try all the lenses in shops locally, only through owners.
Unless your overseas or you know the salesmen well. ;p
So I would highly suggest you to hangout with the Pentax family here in their outings instead and try the lenses.
Dont be like me, I anti-social hahaha. Kidding. :bsmilie:

Try and hopefully you get the antidote to cure your LBA knowing the lens may not suit you, instead of trying and poisoned in wanting to buy all.
I do get alot of info by reading the advice given by the pros here and in Pentax forums though.
Also see Flickr for the samples of images taken by lens you wanna get.

but it took 2 long years to get to that 'zen' stage of not feeling the lust for more lenses. :)
It took about the same for myself as well.
Im done, unless they come up with a new 16-50, or maybe I should try a macro. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

In the end I also agree with detritus, "save up and buy THAT one".

Last edited:
Trying will let you want to buy it at 1st, only after you try awhile then you will realise you may not want/need it.

Started with 18-55 and 55-200, realise should try longer range, sold 55-200 for 55-300.

Then bought Pentax Fisheye, sold it soon after to fund Sigma 8-16 to get the best of both worlds (wide/fisheye effect) imo.

Its Pentax, thus you may not be able to try all the lenses in shops locally, only through owners.
So I would highly suggest you to hangout with the Pentax family here in their outings instead and try the lenses.

Try and hopefully you get the antidote to cure your LBA knowing the lens may not suit you, instead of trying and poisoned in wanting to buy all.
I do get alot of info by reading the advice given by the pros here and in Pentax forums though.

Im done, unless they come up with a new 16-50, or maybe I should try a macro. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Eh Bro, very expensive lesson there . . . But glad to hear that you are cured . . .

Photography is not a cheap hobby. haha.

I still remember you giving me advice on my Tamron 17-50 a long time ago.
Appreciated that.

I forgot to mention before all the Limited primes, I got the da35mm as well.
$200+, still the best bang for buck prime imo.
Every newbie should try that for the "prime" experience.

Photography is not a cheap hobby. haha.

I still remember you giving me advice on my Tamron 17-50 a long time ago.
Appreciated that.

I forgot to mention before all the Limited primes, I got the da35mm as well.
$200+, still the best bang for buck prime imo.
Every newbie should try that for the "prime" experience.

Glad to share what I know. Cheers!!

most pple who've played lenses for some time will probably come to that realisation.

but its chicken and egg situation lah... u won't understand / believe it until u've experienced it. and having experienced it, u wished that someone had told u from the start so wouldn't end up spending so much :bsmilie:

Realise benefits of F2.8, bought Tamron 17-50 and .....

soon after to fund Sigma 8-16 to get the best of both worlds (wide/fisheye effect) imo.

We got the same roadmap for the start . esp the part of from 18-55 & 50-200 to 55-300 and 17-50 f2.8 . Lol

I went thru quite a sh*tload of research, hard thinking and that's all~

Basically, you have got to think what do you really need. How to come to that "conclusion"? Just keep shooting!! Best not to use a zoom lens. Just one FL..

Only then will you know which FL you REALLY actually utilize and what are the constraints that you face? Too tight? Too wide? Too slow? Once that is done, buy the best that you can afford!

I play manual primes a lot and I love it! I got the:
A50 1.4, to fulfill the "nifty fifty"
A35/2, for close range and/or "table" and group shot.
A35-105/3.5 macro, as my only macro lens as I don't find myself shooting anything smaller than flowers.
Lastly hopefully, the A*85/1.4 for the "long" tele range.

After that, just the FA31 ltd OR the FA28/2 for general purpose autofocus like kids/streets/outing with friends and stuffs like that.

As you can see, I'm a very practical "best of the best" person.. Hah!

True, there's no best lens.. BUT, can you justify whatever lens purchases you are gonna do by FULLY MAXIMIZING them?

Are you gonna send your pictures for competitions or awards? Even so, some of the best pics aren't shot by the best gear, but rather, the photographer.. :)

That's how I overcome my LBA.. :B

most pple who've played lenses for some time will probably come to that realisation.

but its chicken and egg situation lah... u won't understand / believe it until u've experienced it. and having experienced it, u wished that someone had told u from the start so wouldn't end up spending so much :bsmilie:

I agree, but its hard to jump to the best level directly from the start.
Thinking the next upgrade will do fine, only to know its not. lol
The process of slowing upgrading is actually quite fun, like modding cars, just that its not cheap.

We got the same roadmap for the start . esp the part of from 18-55 & 50-200 to 55-300 and 17-50 f2.8 . Lol

Yea, thats quite the typical route alot of people took, especially those who took the 50-200 package.
Lesson learnt, newbies should get the 55-500 package instead. Just that $100+ more? Worth it.

Yea, thats quite the typical route alot of people took, especially those who took the 50-200 package.
Lesson learnt, newbies should get the 55-500 package instead. Just that $100+ more? Worth it.

i think u meant the 55-300?

i'm actually the opposite. i have the DAL55-300 and i'm wondering if i should complete my WR collection with the DA50-200 WR. in case i need a lightweight medium zoom to supplement 16-50 or 18-55 on a trip.

oyama85 said:

Recently i travelled to taiwan, spoke to a shop retailer about pentax lenses. He said most people change to pentax because of pentax superior prime quality. So prime is more likely the way for most pentaxians?

Recently i travelled to taiwan, spoke to a shop retailer about pentax lenses. He said most people change to pentax because of pentax superior prime quality. So prime is more likely the way for most pentaxians?

that's an over-generalisation and i dun exactly agree. a system needs to be versatile and well rounded to sell. while primes are great, its just not a strong selling point for any company to say "hey, we make so-so zooms, but our primes are better :bsmilie:"

if he's talking abt the FA Ltds, yes, that's true to an extent. the 31, 43 and 77 are one-of-a-kind and :thumbsup:

but pentax has very good zooms in their current line-up as well - DA10-17 FE, DA12-24 DA*50-135 and the DA*60-250 are excellent too.

i think the 16-50 is good too, but its quite misunderstood by tech review sites :bsmilie: in fairness, if one is concerned about the value proposition of the lens (its sells for a premium after all), there are very good 3rd party alternatives as well.

i like it cos its WR and constant F2.8 while the 3rd party models do not offer the same WR assurances. other users who do not require such assurances may feel differently abt it. like i said earlier: its important to know what u're paying for.

Come on, lets face it. Although Most people would say keep shooting instead of buying new lens, but most of us are obsessed with the idea of another new lens. It may be for practical rationale(simply for the functionality of taking good photos) or even un-satisfactory nature of guy(always wanting better equipments). Do share what is your "Next Lens".

My next lens will be an ultrawide to replace my Sigma 10-20mm when it is finally gone. :bsmilie:

Other than that, I think I'm happy with the set that I have for now:

Sigma 10-20mm
Pentax 10-17 FE
Pentax 50mm f/1.4
Rokinon 85mm F/1.4
Tamron 70-300mm
Cosina 19-35mm
Pentax 18-55 II (kit lens)

DA*135/1.8
DA*28/2
DA*10/4

;)
I don't really need any lens, but these would be good if Pentax made them.

Realistically, been thinking if I should get the FA ltds before they are no more (an eventuality though god knows when).

Thats quite an over generalization.
Pentax generally makes nicely built, small and good optical quality lenses all things considered.
Other brands may be better in some other respect (ie. sharpness; CA control; etc), but seldom/never are they smaller and they trade off something else too in the design process.

DA*135/1.8
DA*28/2
DA*10/4

A* 12 f5.6 or f8 pancake lens ;)

perhaps bigger than this lens a bit
SL%2012.09.jpg

Voigtlander SL 12/5.6 15/4.5

DA*135/1.8
DA*28/2
DA*10/4

;)
I don't really need any lens, but these would be good if Pentax made them.

Realistically, been thinking if I should get the FA ltds before they are no more (an eventuality though god knows when).

Thats quite an over generalization.
Pentax generally makes nicely built, small and good optical quality lenses all things considered.
Other brands may be better in some other respect (ie. sharpness; CA control; etc), but seldom/never are they smaller and they trade off something else too in the design process.

nice lineup but will be damn expensive lor unless without star and make it like the Limited series small and nice. Hope to see a 24mm