What is your hit rate on a photo shoot

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

emlee

Mar 10, 2008
Ang Mo Kio
Hi,
I have been curious about this, and wish to know if I was ok, below average on this. When you go for a shoot (and I mean a deliberate one), how many of your shots are usable/ workable (and by that I mean you would use them to represent your work).

Please use this poll/ thread for fun purpose only. Dont be too serious.
thanks,
EM

Used to be low. But after I became abit more conscious of my camera's shutter count and abit more self critical, the total number of shots i took came down , and mathematically got abit better.. :bsmilie:

Used to be low. But after I became abit more conscious of my camera's shutter count and abit more self critical, the total number of shots i took came down , and mathematically got abit better.. :bsmilie:

haha i find it funny how u emphasized on your hit rate improving because of lesser shots, but never mentioned anything about getting better shots.

but u know what its true, im still rather new and tend to take a few shots of the same thing, in particular still objects. you put a champagne glass on a table with red roses and i can take like 4-5 shots of it but end up only happy with one. but i guess all this really takes time and practice, so its probably common for hit rate to be low when new ...

1/5 usually, but i usually take like 3 or 4 frames of the same thing because of phobia that my image will not be sharp when i go home..

haha i find it funny how u emphasized on your hit rate improving because of lesser shots, but never mentioned anything about getting better shots.

Cause i got picky along the way and what seemed to hit last few sessions didn seem a hit anymore. ..

Hmm, for me, based on streets, initially was like 20/100. Then slowly to 10/30. Nowadays, 1/10.

It seems, depends on genre, if one is new or unfamiliar to it, the hit rate is higher initially (every thing also look nice. Wahaha.) :)

thanks for the good discussion. yes, genre does matter, street may not yield as much as some other genre perhaps. and the point of taking multiple shots, portrait orientation, landscape, zoom in and out, precisely what i meant. in the end, were you able to conceptualize the shot and therefore get higher hit rate. i read on some website where the author's advice for digital photography, dont take it for granted that for digital, memory is much more expandable than film. it tends to make one more complacent and reduce your quality of shots.

i saw someone having as high as more than 40%! unbelievable! there is no obvious trend here so i guess there are more variables to consider. hahaha.

i saw someone having as high as more than 40%! unbelievable! there is no obvious trend here so i guess there are more variables to consider. hahaha.

Haha, subjective here man. Some take non-blurred shot as a good shot... Hard to define wor...:sweat:

I get about 1 in 4 for landscapes, and for events, typically 1 in 3. Potraitures are oddly my weakest link... with about 1 in 8 so far. I don't venture too much into other genres.

A lot depends on requirements, subject matter, conditions and degree of consequence.

A pro or meticulous photographer may shoot a lot of frames of the same subject, but that's usually for 'insurance' as opposed to an enthusiast who sprays blindly (not knowing exactly what he or she is doing) and prays.

If you go purely by numbers alone, then the sheer number of frames that professionals who covered the Beijing Olympics shot per photographer per day would make any machine-gun enthusiast feel very comforted, or inspired even.

Last edited:
I always take 3-4 image of the same subject.... just incase 2 out of 3 is blur. But most offend during underwater photo taking.... :sweat:

I also usually take more than 3 photos for a single subject.
Im still a beginner though and i tend to take more than what is needed (?)
And when i get back home, it usually takes me about 3 to 4 times viewing and reviewing before i finally select my shots!
So i guess my hit rate is way way low!
Hahahaha

*reading this thread made me realize the significance of shutter count, next time ill try to get shots that will really count*

Thanks

It all depends on what you're shooting and for what purpose.

I strive for a hit rate of more than 60-70% when doing jobs. And when I am shooting for leisure, I do not aim that high, more of getting the good shot in between the lot. Sometimes, I may snap a whole bunch of say 50 to 100 and only find a couple which are good enough.

ANother poll thread - and ppl actually poll :confused:

It depends... but I'm really self-critical with my shots, and when I decide that a certain scene (if I'm taking landscapes for eg) is really worth taking, I'll compose everything properly after hunting for the best angle by eye and by looking through the viewfinder, then take a few shots at the same point with small adjustments in framing (or to capture the sun/colour of the clouds as the sun sets)..

I guess if we aren't sure of what we're taking or what we want in the photo, we'll tend to take more 'useless' shots or so to say.

Familiarity with the theme or genre of the shoot will help increase hit rates. So if I'm embarking something totally new, my hit rate could be around 1/20.

But most importantly is to be very critical with yourself before shooting. Prolongs shutter life too.

nice but subjective poll, hit rate for one dance shoot was about less than 20 shots from a near 700 shots shoot..lol

also pointing out, pls don't flame me, that some models ought to understand this too, for tfcd some are expecting way too many pics, as though lwishing for an album o_O

alright, back to topic :)

Status
Not open for further replies.