What is your favourite FX Portraits lens for D750/D810 ?

My favourite pick will be the135mm f/2 DC combo, when I have enough room to maneuver. The bokeh is just creamy / buttery, the center is sharp enough to pick out the details on the D810. Doesn't perform well with strong back light & highlight though, has visible purple fringes. Other than that it's my go to portrait lens.

85mm f/1.4G vs f/1.8G, it's debatable. I have shot with the f/1.8G, its sharp or sharper than the f/1.4G from f/1.8 to f/2.8 but it lacks the contrast & color of the f/1.4G. This two 85mm is so sharp when stopped down that it pick out all the skin, pores & hair details.

Tight locations, it's the 58mm f/1.4G...it replaced my 50mm hands down.

For the $$$ shot, I usually take the 200mm f/2 & the 85mm f/1.4G.

Last edited:
Of all the portrait lens I've owned, the 58/1.4G is my favourite, with the 105/2DC coming in a close second. The 135/2 was really tight to shoot with !

For now, I'm sticking to my 85/1.4d which is such a sexy lens itself :p (And works on older film bodies which was a problem with the 58/1.4G)

I got many friends who swear by the 70-200/2.8 for portrait works.

Using D600 and D700 can comment or not?
My favourite portrait lens:
1st) 85mm f/1.8G
2nd) 135mm DC
3rd) 180mm ED

I agree with Light Machinery and alfie. The 58G's my favourite but I've never tried it on higher MP models, only a D700.
But from the examples that I've seen but have never owned, two of the best include the Zeiss 135mm f2 APO and the Nikon 200mm f2 VR1 or 2.

In NO Order.....

NIKON Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AF-S G
ZEISS ZF.2 100mm f/2.0
ZEISS ZF.2 135mm f/2.0

Thats what I own and use on a regular basis. :)

Last edited:
200f2 no contest

85mm f/1.4G vs f/1.8G, it's debatable. I have shot with the f/1.8G, its sharp or sharper than the f/1.4G from f/1.8 to f/2.8 but it lacks the contrast & color of the f/1.4G. This two 85mm is so sharp when stopped down that it pick out all the skin, pores & hair details.

The price in Amazon for the 85 F1.8 and 85 F1.4 is USD 1,649 and USD 497 respectively.

So much difference in price. In your personal opinion, is it worth to pay the extra for F1.4 ?

Thanks

AF-S 50mm f/1.4G, affordable and good.

Yes agreed Levis, I tried this at the shop and was surprised this lens is so cheap ...

For now, I'm sticking to my 85/1.4d which is such a sexy lens itself :p
Can I have your personal opinion, why you think the it is worth to pay the extra for this 85F1.4 when the 85F1.8 is so much cheaper ?

I got many friends who swear by the 70-200/2.8 for portrait works.
but the 70-200 is not really a portrait lens, right ? At 85 focal surely @F2 surely it cannot beat the prime 85F1.8 or 85F1.4, right ?

Using D600 and D700 can comment or not?
Of cos, can lah ... I meant to say any FX lens on full frame bodies

My favourite portrait lens:
1st) 85mm f/1.8G
2nd) 135mm DC
3rd) 180mm ED
Thank you for your opinion :thumbsup:

In NO Order.....

NIKON Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 AF-S G
ZEISS ZF.2 100mm f/2.0
ZEISS ZF.2 135mm f/2.0

Thats what I own and use on a regular basis. :)
wow, great collection you have there !

the zeiss lens are manual focus lens, right ?

thanks for your post.

The price difference of the 85mm f/1.4G vs the 85mm f/1.8G, IMHO it's worth it.

It's not only the bokeh, it's how the lens draws.

Thanks bro for stating your reasons .... :thumbsup:

The 200mm f/2 weight & bulk takes getting used to initially but it's manageable.

Although it's heavy (2.9kg) it's quite compact.

To reduce the bulk I keep the original hood & use the smaller 300mm f/2.8 hood on it. It fits exactly & makes the overall package smaller.

My gripe about it is the stubby short lens foot. I install a longer plate so that I can grip & heave it carefully. For mobility I sling it with a black rapid strap or use a monopod / tripod if the situation / venue permits.

Last edited:
Hi Ryan, are you thinking of getting into portraiture? If that's the case, you may want to delve with lighting too. ;)

Yes, Light Machinery.

I like portraiture because i really feel satisfied & syiok to see the bokeh at the background. I am thinking of geting one lens at 85mm and one lens at 135mm.

But bcos bcos of cost, I thought i can only afford the 85F1.8 bcos I get the 85F1.4, my wallet will be dry and I cannot get the 135mm.

Besides portraiture, I also like to shoot food and would love to see the bokeh. For food, I probably use the kit lens 24-120F4. Hopefully can get bokeh with this lens.

About the lightings, I did attend some class where the lecturer taught something about fill lights and back lights ... but I don't know how to apply. I only know how to use my external flash with TTL function to light up the subject when taking facing the sun (ie if without the flash, the subject will be a silhouette)... so as you can see, my knowledge of lightings is very elementary ...

I am also very poor at landscape bcos my framming is always very bad ...

Last edited: