What is your favorite fairy tale and what have you learnt from it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deckard

Oct 13, 2006
Hi guys!

Just curious, what is your favorite fairy tale? and what lessons have you learnt?

Mine is the Emperor's new clothes

and the best explaination is from wiki.

------------------------------------------
Many years ago, there lived an emperor who was quite an average fairy tale ruler, with one exception: he cared much about his clothes. One day he heard from two swindlers named Guido and Luigi Farabutto that they could make the finest suit of clothes from the most beautiful cloth. This cloth, they said, also had the special capability that it was invisible to anyone who was either stupid or not fit for his position.

Being a bit nervous about whether he himself would be able to see the cloth, the emperor first sent two of his trusted men to see it. Of course, neither would admit that they could not see the cloth and so praised it. All the townspeople had also heard of the cloth and were interested to learn how stupid their neighbors were.

The emperor then allowed himself to be dressed in the clothes for a procession through town, never admitting that he was too unfit and stupid to see what he was wearing. He was afraid that the other people would think that he was stupid.

Of course, all the townspeople wildly praised the magnificent clothes of the emperor, afraid to admit that they could not see them, until a small child said:

"But he has nothing on!"

This was whispered from person to person until everyone in the crowd was shouting that the emperor had nothing on. The emperor heard it and felt that they were correct, but held his head high and finished the procession.

--------------------------------------------

This story of the little boy puncturing the pretensions of the emperor's court has parallels from other cultures, categorized as Aarne-Thompson folktale type 1620, although the tale itself has no identified oral sources.[1]

The expressions The Emperor's new clothes and The Emperor has no clothes are often used with allusion to Andersen's tale. Most frequently, the metaphor involves a situation wherein the overwhelming (usually unempowered) majority of observers willingly share in a collective ignorance of an obvious fact, despite individually recognizing the absurdity. A similar twentieth-century metaphor is the Elephant in the room. A metaphor of the opposite, in which each individual insists on his or her own perspective in spite of the evidence of others, is shown in the various versions of the Blind Men and an Elephant story.

In one interpretation, the story is also used to express a concept of "truth seen by the eyes of a child", an idea that truth is often spoken by a person too naïve to understand group pressures to see contrary to the obvious. This is a general theme of "purity within innocence" throughout Andersen's fables and many similar works of literature.

In another interpretation, the child is not simply a naive person, but precisely a child, as the perspective of children is often unencumbered with the filtering "knowledge" and social conditioning that fills the heads of adults, warping their perspective.

"The Emperor Wears No Clothes" or "The Emperor Has No Clothes" is often used in political and social contexts for any obvious truth denied by the majority despite the evidence of their eyes, especially when proclaimed by the government.
--------------------------------

This is my fav, what is yours? :)

I just like fairy tales to remain as good old fairy tale.... and the moral of the fairy tales is always good triump and evil falters (most of the time) ... all fairy tales tell us explicitly good and bad virtues of humanity...

I kinda of like the goose that can lay golden eggs...

My take...

Sion, nv heard of this one leh...

In that case mine would be Empress' new bra. :bsmilie:

:bigeyes: depends on whether the empress chio or not before anybody say anything! :bsmilie:

I love Cinderalla...

I felt that my colleagues are my stepsisters and stepbrothers...:bsmilie:

I love Cinderalla...

I felt that my colleagues are my stepsisters and stepbrothers...:bsmilie:

"stab"brother and "stab"sisters, you meant ?? :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.