What is your experience using VPost to purchase from overseas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

achanth

Dec 12, 2005
www.photography-xylec.blogspot.com
Hi, I would like your views as to what are the pros and cons of buying cameras via VPost (our own Singtel post) to purchase cameras from overseas, like eBay? This helps the need to have a local US address if one uses the VPost. How much more does one need to pay in transport, and taxes?

I'm interested too... juz received a vpost addr in oregon state.... hmm... I wonder if that state tax the purchase.:think:

My only complaint is that their shipping charges can become quite expensive for bulky items. They charge by either weight or volumetric weight, whichever is larger. Your item may be light, but if the packaging is large, your shipping costs will still be high.

my experience is good!
of course i generally like direct shipping because i cant wait for my items to arrive. but by and large vpost is reliable..only thing you need to wait for them to process your order

Good but not always cheap. Beer to ask for external packing dimensions to give u a guide on the shipping $$$. Prices have risen recently and I wld prefer if the seller can ship direct fr US via USPS (US Postal Services). USPS is reliable and much faster than vPOST (6dys).

I once tried purchased some item from US and delivered thru International USPS Air Mail. It took about 1 week plus to reach me. Quite reliable.:)

Vpost can be quite a hassle to use. Once I sent the invoices, they never reply to say whether they got it, and 2 weeks later I kept sendign emails and still nothing. When I called, they were so blur and in the end, as I've said, a big hassle.

I believe Oregon doesn't have state tax, which is why Vpost set up its receiving address there.

My single experience has been quite positive. Apparently my sister uses them without problems too. However, it may not be cheaper to use Vpost. For example, I bought a camera lens on Ebay with US$10 shipping, though this may be exceptionally low. An estimate from the Vpost website would be S$30 + US domestic shipping cost.

Again, from my experience, USPS seems to do a decent job sending my items. USPS Priority mail even offers tracking and a 7-10 working day delivery and averages about US$25 for lenses or SLR bodies.

Vpost is alright but the delivery time is slightly longer and response is pretty slow at times.
i used Vpost to bring in my slides in bulk since it is light and small so shipping charges is pretty affordable.

I use Vpost quite often. A bit slow and better to call them to match your order when it arrives in Vpost USA. I found that you can save a bit if you have 2 or 3 items to buy from the same country as vpost only charges you 1 base rate. It will save you even more if the shop which you buy your goods provides free domestic shipping. Recently I bought a wide angle adapter and lens hood from 2 different shops and the total shipment from vpost USA to SIN was $36 sgd.

The only other hassle is some shops want you to fax in your credit card for verification as they reliased that the card was issued oversea.

With so many 'black shops' in SIN, I found that buying from oversea is cheaper and with the weakening of USD, there's no reason not to buy.

My initial experience with Vpost is ok, despite the sluggish response and slow delivery leadtime...
But my last 3 experiences with Vpost/Vconcierge was totally disappointed, for my last experience, my stuff was stucked at US due to the rules and regulations, Vpost sent me somebody's parcel, I'd to call them to recollect the somebody's parcel, called Vpost to track my parcel status, waited a few days, only to be informed that my parcel was stucked... At the end, the whole issue lasted for 2 months++ for the parcel to be delivered to me, which was long after the time when I needed the thing most...

I seriously doubt the efficiency of their internal communication. When my parcel was stucked, they should email/call me immediately. It is totally ridiculous for me to receive somebody's parcel, and have to find out myself that my parcel was stucked...

I would think twice before I use Vpost again, if you need the thing urgently, you better fly to the country to get it instead of counting on Vpost. Otherwise, it is ok for cheap good bargain which is not urgent.

As for Vconcierge, I transferred my money to them after they confirmed that they could purchase the item on my behalf, at the end, they told me that they couldn't purchase the item, and again my money was stucked at their side for quite some time. At the end, some lost was incurred due to the currency exchange...

Well, they did apologize in their email, but personally I don't think these apologizes mean anything to me...

chianchiek - my experiences mirror yours - its okay if everything goes fine, but if something goes wrong, VPOST is a big big hassle to use.

Its not as if there's big savings either.

My experience with them was quite ok until something happens.
If the whole process was smooth, then its a pretty good company to use.
What happened to me was they rejected the goods if the packing is broken during the shipping. They will not inform us of their actions, understanding that once they accept, its their responsiblity. Not once but twice, this happened and on one occassion, My goods went missing and this become my lost. ;(
Now, I'm still sorting out the 2nd occassion's problem and got friend who is flying over to the USA to help me carry the item back. I feel very paisey for having my friend to carry my car's exhaust back from USA... :bsmilie:

Yeap, when some issue happens, you will find it impossible to email them, call them, or otherwise try to solve the problem.

They are probably run by a group of automatons.

Are cameras taxable? For an item less than $1000, what kind of import duty tax you experience in Singapore? Some shopts in US do not ship to Singapore directly so have to go through vPost.

i have tried vpost usa so far ok. sometimes delay could be due to the vpost number not indicated on the mailing address in usa. as a result, us side would not be able to match the recepients.

i encountered that before. the item was there waiting for 2 weeks at vpost usa while i was chasing after the us seller. it was only when i called vpost singapore and they did a scan and check for me that i know.

As most have mentioned, shipping might end up becoming more expensive
For fragile/photographic items when the seller packages them with lots of foam and padding, the shippment fee can turn out to be remarkably remarkable.

As for their services, i have not gotten an item later than 10 days
( mainly because i track the item and once it reaches vpost (oregon) i start to
*spam* and call to remind them the parcel reached and to expedite the delivery

Vpost will charge GST once it goes above 400 bucks
( unless somehow your seller declares the item a gift of some sort :dunno: / or it is really a gift )

Ryan

I used USPS for buying and shipping stuffs from US. So far the delivery arrived within 1 - 2 weeks. Shipping cost very reasonable. Quite satisfied with their service. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.