What is your answer?

one952

Jun 10, 2010
Hi guys, 2 encounter in 2 days prompt me to ask fellow pentaxian your view.

If you guys bring ur pentax to some gathering, and start taking photos, how will you answer if a fellow gatherian which is a canikon ask u. "Hey, why use a pentax? Y not canon or nikon?"

And give u the doubting look. As if their is way better. :think::think:

Somehow, due to pebtax lack of marketing. I dun totally blame them too. :(

Just ignore loh or tell them personal preference.

Tell them Nikon & Canon are too common.
You want to be different.
Show them your Pentax and let them see the IQ...

i managed to make my friends ard me with canon feel shitty about their cams..

Fanboys are everywhere on this planet. Don't blame them, blame the "game".

For me , I ask them 1st .

"Y Canon and Nikon ? Y not Pentax or Sony ? Panasonic also not bad you know . Y Canon/Nikon again ?"

Just tell them: I take photo for fun, and Pentax is more interesting and unique than CN, more fun to use too :)

Fisrt time i was asked the question, i was kinda stumped. Being new to DSLR then (Dec last year) i was wondering what was wrong with my choice of Pentax.

Now my standard answer as to why Pentax is "i could tell you how good the ISO performance or what good value-for-money it is, but the truth is i AM superficial and i bought it cos it's white!".

Honestly, people who ask you "why Pentax" don't really know about the brand or how good it is, so no point trying to convince them yours is just as good or better... so i give them the neither here nor there answer.

thanks for all the answer. really good answer to those who question my choice again.

yes, first time i was being ask, i was abit stump too. it was my client who told me pentax is a good choice and value for money.
i listen to him, and no regret.
there're alot of 1st time DSLR user out there who never even hear pentax before.

in fact, i'll be a K5,3,1 users in the near future for sure!

Hi guys, 2 encounter in 2 days prompt me to ask fellow pentaxian your view.

If you guys bring ur pentax to some gathering, and start taking photos, how will you answer if a fellow gatherian which is a canikon ask u. "Hey, why use a pentax? Y not canon or nikon?"

And give u the doubting look. As if their is way better. :think::think:

Somehow, due to pebtax lack of marketing. I dun totally blame them too. :(

my answer depends on where they're coming from. if they're serious amateurs interested to know abt the functions of other brands, i wouldn't say much... i'll just hand over my K5 to them and say "see for yourself. its a pretty good camera :)".

but if they're ignorant brand snobs just interested in a pissing contest over brochure specs and brand-name, i just tell them the pictures speaks for themselves and they should just swing by my blog sometime. dun need to waste time with them. such pple dun know enough to have a sensible conversation abt photography and won't listen anyway.

my answer depends on where they're coming from. if they're serious amateurs interested to know abt the functions of other brands, i wouldn't say much... i'll just hand over my K5 to them and say "see for yourself. its a pretty good camera :)".

but if they're ignorant brand snobs just interested in a pissing contest over brochure specs and brand-name, i just tell them the pictures speaks for themselves and they should just swing by my blog sometime. dun need to waste time with them. such pple dun know enough to have a sensible conversation abt photography and won't listen anyway.

maybe i show start a blog n store all my fav photo inside.
:D

yap, there are quite some i encounter who are just brand concious & showoff. (no offence to any users of any brand)

maybe i show start a blog n store all my fav photo inside.
:D

yap, there are quite some i encounter who are just brand concious & showoff. (no offence to any users of any brand)

brand conscious show-offs exists in every brand :) dun bother lah... i've had clowns telling me that their entry level plastic dslr are oh so superior to because its C or N :bsmilie:

i'm like... ok... whatever... :bsmilie:

Show them the limited primes, i showed them my DA15 and that immediately shut them up. :D

Usually, I'd just say one of the many reasons since the pros are just too long and most such ppl who ask such questions are not really looking for an answer :
1. Backwards compatibility to lenses (no kenna 'tua' by the whole mount change over time)
2. Fantastic SMC contrast and colors
3. Cheap, legendary and as good if not better optically old lenses
4. Lots of good old usable lenses to seek out and waste money on :D
5. Good small lenses (and not some 'tua leng kong' over sized lenses that dangle on my neck)
6. Well thought out camera bodies
7. Value for money cameras
8. SR on camera (don't need to pay for it every lens)
9. Pentax community
10. Weather sealed lenses on high and low end lenses. (other brands you pay top dollar as its on top lenses only)
11. Weather sealed body at a lower price
12. New optically as good lenses for lower price (except for the Canikon plastic fantastics of course)
13. I am not sheep (well I am sheep; the black sheep :D )
14. I am an old Pentax user
15. Limited Primes; perhaps the ultimate balance between size, focal length, aperture speed, bokeh, sharpness

Frankly, I don't even bother what ppl think. All cameras can produce nice photos. Its the photographer that counts. Pentax just offers what I justify as preferable to my needs.

Last edited:
xia lan way : my $$ or ur $$ ? i also nv ask u why u use iphone instead of blackberry, wear nike shoes instead of adidas, support Man U instead of Chelsea..

normal way: i want to be different =)