What is Wrong with mi Night Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

hong

Feb 4, 2002
Visit site
Any kind soul here can help explain the large white dots in the image??
Using S30

Image Size remain large inorder to see the ghost

flash01.jpg

ExposureTime : 1.00Sec
FNumber : F2.8
ExifVersion : 0210
DateTimeOriginal : 2002:03:25 20:28:32
DateTimeDigitized : 2002:03:25 20:28:32
CompressedBitsPerPixel : 3/1 (bit/pixel)
ShutterSpeedValue : 1.00Sec
ApertureValue : F2.8
ExposureBiasValue : EV0.0
MaxApertureValue : F2.8
SubjectDistance : 13.63(m)
MeteringMode : Division
Flash : Fired
FocalLength : 7.09(mm)
UserComment :
ExifImageWidth : 2048
ExifImageHeight : 1536
Vendor Original Information
MacroMode : Off
Self-timer : 10sec
CompressionRate : Fine
Flash : Red-Eye Reducing Auto
Sequence Mode : single
Focus Mode : Single
ImageSize : Large
Easy shooting mode : Night
Digital Tele : Off
Contrast : Normal
Sharpness : Normal
CCD Sensitivity : AUTO
MeteringMode : Evaluative
AF point selected : center
ExposureProgram : Easy shooting
Focal length of lens : 227-682 Unit:32(mm)
White Balance : Tungsten Lamp
OpticalZoom Step Value : 0
Flash bias : 0 EV

flash02.jpg

ExposureTime : 1.00Sec
FNumber : F2.8
ExifVersion : 0210
DateTimeOriginal : 2002:03:25 20:27:52
DateTimeDigitized : 2002:03:25 20:27:52
CompressedBitsPerPixel : 3/1 (bit/pixel)
ShutterSpeedValue : 1.00Sec
ApertureValue : F2.8
ExposureBiasValue : EV0.0
MaxApertureValue : F2.8
SubjectDistance : 4.19(m)
MeteringMode : Division
Flash : Fired
FocalLength : 7.09(mm)
UserComment :
ExifImageWidth : 2048
ExifImageHeight : 1536
Vendor Original Information
MacroMode : Off
Self-timer : 10sec
CompressionRate : Fine
Flash : Red-Eye Reducing Auto
Sequence Mode : single
Focus Mode : Single
ImageSize : Large
Easy shooting mode : Night
Digital Tele : Off
Contrast : Normal
Sharpness : Normal
CCD Sensitivity : AUTO
MeteringMode : Evaluative
AF point selected : center
ExposureProgram : Easy shooting
Focal length of lens : 227-682 Unit:32(mm)
White Balance : Tungsten Lamp
OpticalZoom Step Value : 0
Flash bias : 0 EV

its a common problem with Canon S30/40 camera.

Check out the user comments in DPreview you will know

heard it's a common problem.... not sure if Canon ca do anything about it but you could try asking them.

Originally posted by Simon

RUBBISH, just by looking at the setting the 2 photos are taken, it's all wrong. Using whatever camera at the same setting will not give you any better shots.

The FNumber : F2.8 wide open should not be use for Long Exposure shots. Lack of DOF and short exposeure time will make your photos details unsharp.

Try shooting at a bigger FNumber or Smaller Aperture. Example: f/16 @ 30secs

Simon, but he was referring to the white spots you know, not how sharp the images are, etc. The photos are taken at 1s, which shouldn't give much hotpixels, if the white spots are suspected to be hotpixels. I take niteshots at F2.8 and 2-4s exposure cos I can't afford a F8 and 8s, sure got lots of hotpixels. And I don't get white spots like that.

Originally posted by Tweek

Simon, but he was referring to the white spots you know, not how sharp the images are, etc. The photos are taken at 1s, which shouldn't give much hotpixels, if the white spots are suspected to be hotpixels. I take niteshots at F2.8 and 2-4s exposure cos I can't afford a F8 and 8s, sure got lots of hotpixels. And I don't get white spots like that.

Yap, my mistake, del my own post, i forgoten the consumer digicam can't set to f/16 or smaller.

Originally posted by ckiang
Looks like your lens is not very clean, which is probably what caused the round spots.

Regards
CK

other shoots using Aperture P or Shutter or Manual are ok, even with long exposure, onli using Auto Night setting then i get to see this

attach a pic using AP taken at the same time, with 10secs exposure
flash03.jpg

is it still related to dirty lens??

Hong, I suspect that it is because of the filter.
Or you can try to shift your camera a bit to avoid those flare (see whether it works or not) sometimes I also get this kind of photos also.;)

hong, may I use your pic? I circled some problem areas in case others misunderstood what you meant....

flash01.jpg

Originally posted by Newbie0001
Hong, I suspect that it is because of the filter.
Or you can try to shift your camera a bit to avoid those flare (see whether it works or not) sometimes I also get this kind of photos also.;)

which camera are you using??? S30 do not allow me to attach any filters

Originally posted by hong

other shoots using Aperture P or Shutter or Manual are ok, even with long exposure, onli using Auto Night setting then i get to see this

attach a pic using AP taken at the same time, with 10secs exposure

is it still related to dirty lens??

Hmm... that's a bit strange then. But being a 10s exposure, it also means that the aperture is smaller, so the picture itself is also sharper, as you can see.

Your original posts sure look like a combination of dust particles on the lens and flare from nearby lights.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by mpenza
hong, may I use your pic? I circled some problem areas in case others misunderstood what you meant....

yup those are the ones i am refering to?? any idea what's wrong??

Hmm... that's a bit strange then. But being a 10s exposure, it also means that the aperture is smaller, so the picture itself is also sharper, as you can see.

Your original posts sure look like a combination of dust particles on the lens and flare from nearby lights.

Regards
CK

attached another pic taken same time using same aperture of F2.8 with 4secs exposure
flash04.jpg

isit still dirty lens?? if yes i may want to bring to canon customer services

Regards
CK

some people have very clean lens but still get the same "artefacts" though. It's a weird phenomenon. could it be reflection within the camera (between different pieces of glass or even between some internal parts)?

some people have very clean lens but still get the same "artefacts" though. It's a weird phenomenon. could it be reflection within the camera (between different pieces of glass or even between some internal parts)?

i post the 2 same identical photos just now, look again, 2 pics taken @ same time but with white dots @ different locations..

Possible. :) But I don't use Canon, so ....

I only know I have similar problems on my Coolpix 950 when the lens is not so clean, so I thought it should be the same. ;p

Regards
CK

Originally posted by fcpga
see here,

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodkey=canon_s30

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodkey=canon_s40

it doesn't appear on every shot, but maybe 1 in 6-7. quite annoying.

Even some people in this forum and hardwarezone. Just do a search.

Don't understand why people still swear by Canon. But I will never ever buy a Canon.
I C. IS that why you change your avatar back to Oly C2040.

Can I assume that you are not aware of this problem before you buy your S40? Other wise you wouldn't have bought it if you have read the discussion in forum?

Possible. :) But I don't use Canon, so ....

I only know I have similar problems on my Coolpix 950 when the lens is not so clean, so I thought it should be the same. ;p

Regards
CK

but how come for this camera, the white dots appear @ different locations??

Status
Not open for further replies.