What is viewfinder coverage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleBen

Aug 24, 2008
Toa Payoh
Hi,

What does it mean by viewfinder - 95% as compared to 100%?

Cheers,
Ben

Hi,

What does it mean by viewfinder - 95% as compared to 100%?

Cheers,
Ben
have to understand how viewfinders work. to make a very very long winded explanation short, what you see in the viewfinder is not necessarry the full picture captured by the lens.

It simply means how much of the image captured by the sensor is visible through the viewfinder. To put it loosely, in the case of a 95% viewfinder coverage, it means what you see in the viewfinder has about 5% cropped off on all sides of the final image.

in simply word, you only seeing 95% of the actual image thru the viewfinder, want to see more? that will cost alot of money.

have to understand how viewfinders work. to make a very very long winded explanation short, what you see in the viewfinder is not necessarry the full picture captured by the lens.

What so hard about it?

Put simply, it's just you see 95% of the actual image in your viewfinder. No one asked for the science behind it.

Thanks for your helping hands, buddies.

Now, I'm wondering why are there cameras with less than 100% coverage.

Now, I'm wondering why are there cameras with less than 100% coverage.

Cheers,
Ben

Now, I'm wondering why would a viewfinder built with less than 100% coverage.

Cheers,
Ben

COST...

it's cheaper and easier to use a smaller mirror as well as the prism.

Now, I'm wondering why would a viewfinder built with less than 100% coverage.

Cheers,
Ben
if so, camera need bigger mirror, need bigger prism, need bigger focusing screen and need bigger body too, that add up will cost a lot, but most people don't need 100% coverage.

With a smaller viewfinder coverage, I think it give the photographer more room for cropping... esp during an stage event shooting.... :)

I concur. It lowers costs and uses less space. Besides, I wouldn't think it's that essential to have 100% coverage anyway.

I concur. It lowers costs and uses less space. Besides, I wouldn't think it's that essential to have 100% coverage anyway.

Depends on usage... when you want to have a good shot straight out of the camera, having 100% view is very useful as you can note any bright spots, distractions, errors in composition, etc...

When you have the luxury of taking time to edit pics on the PC, it may not be as important.

But if you wish to have full res pics (esp for selling to Stock photography companies), edited or not, a full 100% coverage would be a great help for the correct composition.

As it is, I use a D200 and with it's 95% coverage, I have to guage and sometimes try to compensate for this difference when I shoot to get a decent composition crop direct from camera.

But most of the time, I still have to correct slightly in PP.

With a smaller viewfinder coverage, I think it give the photographer more room for cropping... esp during an stage event shooting.... :)

Huh??

Where did u learn this??

most DSLR or SLR cameras are not 100% coverage on viewfinder, only Pro models have.

if you make (4R) prints from SLR or DSLR from any labs, the final print is also showing about the same areas as what you see in viewfinder, hence, most people don't really bother about the viewfinder does not showing 100% coverage.

and for Professionals, that will be another story, many time the image area has to be showing exact what the photographer see in the viewfinder, nothing more, nothing less.

Where did u learn this??

Less coverage means you capture "more image" as what was shown on the OVF. hence if a photographer was taking an stage event if the model move abit out of your composition... chance are you may still get it inline with cropping afterward...

Do correct me if I am wrong.... :)

Less coverage means you capture "more image" as what was shown on the OVF. hence if a photographer was taking an stage event if the model move abit out of your composition... chance are you may still get it inline with cropping afterward...

Do correct me if I am wrong.... :)
if you really want to do that, might as well just shoot at wider angler that later cropping it down, it is much safer this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.