What is ur fave third party brand?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

imouyang

Oct 17, 2004
Hougang
What is ur fave third party brand?

1st party , 2nd party or 3rd party , as long as it bring the best out in all , it will be a good party

Chiang said:
1st party , 2nd party or 3rd party , as long as it bring the best out in all , it will be a good party
Agreed:thumbsup: Just have to get the job done~

ortega said:
don't like blanket party

BTW I love the build quality of tokinas
Can elaborate? Haha... I dun have a lot of friends owning tokina lens... Mostly Sigma or Tamron...

i dont like third party

imouyang said:
Can elaborate? Haha... I dun have a lot of friends owning tokina lens... Mostly Sigma or Tamron...

Heard from users of Tokina that though it is heavier, it is built like a tank. I've a Tamron 28-75.

jeffhiew said:
Heard from users of Tokina that though it is heavier, it is built like a tank. I've a Tamron 28-75.

yep. its very solid in construction. i've used both the canon and nikon versions of 28-80mm/f2.8, canon version of 80-200/f2.8 and the nikon version 20-35/f2.8. in an emergency, u can use it as a self-defence weapon. else, can use it to bash photogs who get in ur viewfinder when shooting... :devil:

except for the slightly slower AF (then again, all 3rd party are slower), and a little crazily designed AF/MF clutch system, the tokina lenses are a pretty good value for money lens.

imouyang said:
as mentioned above the tokinas are built like a tank and heavy
I am a big guy and i prefer the weight to balance out the whole setup

not to mention the reasonable price.
much easier to afford f2.8 lenses and sharp too.

but it depends on the individual, try it out for yourself.

I don't mind sigma but I do not like the feel of tamron

its Tamron 4 me. photography jus my hobby, 2 which i hav r compact & light & cheap (2nd hand mah:bsmilie: ). great 4 travelling ard w/...:lovegrin:

Sigma EX HSM range.
Tamron SP range.
Tokina coz its cheap to get f2.8 lens. Sharp too. But darn heavy... (see above - literally built like a tank). :)

if only i am so desperate for that range and i cant afford it i will go third party and sigma seems to give me more confidence for their optical quality and HSM ... 1 thing i cant stand is anything that distract me and the enviroment ard me is the noise level from the AF .... really makes me sick

Here are some general comments on 3rd party lenses:

Tokina: As mentioned above, built like a tank.

Sigma: Watch out for lens fogging after 2-3 yrs. There are a number of discussion on this topic. Here is one of them. BTW, heard lots of praise for Sigma 70-200 2.8 APO HSM.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost.php?p=1332307&postcount=15

Tamron: Mine is 28-75, so far so good. Heard some complains that Tamron lenses are light in weight.

BTW, anybody read Photoi's Aug edition, where this NUS team used Contax and Nikon flim bodies for their Mt. Everest climb? The photographer (one of the CS member) used all the three 3rd party lenses, Sigma, Tokina and Tamron lenses for the trip. If these lenses can survive in those harsh weather, I guess they are okay for our normal day-to-day use.

If money is not an issue, always go for the original lenses, else 3rd party.

jeffhiew said:
Sigma: Watch out for lens fogging after 2-3 yrs. There are a number of discussion on this topic. Here is one of them. BTW, heard lots of praise for Sigma 70-200 2.8 APO HSM.

If you are not careful... all lens can fog and also grow fungus... for Sigma keepers... go for the EX HSM range.;p

My favorite is Tokina.

jeffhiew said:

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showpost.php?p=1332307&postcount=15

BTW, anybody read Photoi's Aug edition, where this NUS team used Contax and Nikon flim bodies for their Mt. Everest climb? The photographer (one of the CS member) used all the three 3rd party lenses, Sigma, Tokina and Tamron lenses for the trip. If these lenses can survive in those harsh weather, I guess they are okay for our normal day-to-day use.

Interestingly, an Aussie professional photographer I know who teaches uses Sigma lenses quite a lot (possibly more than the original Canon lenses). He hasn't encountered fogging. You should note that he is based in Sydney which is often cooler/colder than Singapore.

Thanks for the information about 3rd party lenses used at Mt. Everest. Generally, cold weather is less destructive/decadent than hot weather.

Zplus said:
If you are not careful... all lens can fog and also grow fungus... for Sigma keepers... go for the EX HSM range.;p

Not to incite hate or anger or offence, ponder this.

A Sigma APO lens which was bought new, haven't been used at all (and I'm not exaggerating about it being totally unused), and kept in a properly operating dry-cabinet containing other old and used lenses (the oldest being 29 years old) fogged up in about a year.

Either Sigma manufacturing and materials have a problem, or Singapore's climate is a lens enemy (which it obviously is due to the humidity).

any1 got a fridge stuffed w/ silicon gel jus 4 ur precious lenses??:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.