What is the use of the battery grip ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickyMoney

Dec 22, 2008
I'm a newbie with 1000D. Bought about 2 wks + ago and have been going around taking pics. Came across someone using battery grip and wondering what it is for ? Is there any different between the rechargeable one and the battery grip ? Do it still have to use another type of batteries or using the original Canon battery given with the camera ? Can someone seniors explain ? What is wide angle lens and how to recognise them by what measurements ? Does tele-lens 75mm - 300mm good for taking near pics within 70 - 75mm onwards ? Thanks. :)

I'm a newbie with 1000D. Bought about 2 wks + ago and have been going around taking pics. Came across someone using battery grip and wondering what it is for ? Is there any different between the rechargeable one and the battery grip ? Do it still have to use another type of batteries or using the original Canon battery given with the camera ? Can someone seniors explain ? What is wide angle lens and how to recognise them by what measurements ? Does tele-lens 75mm - 300mm good for taking near pics within 70 - 75mm onwards ? Thanks. :)

I suggest reading up on the basics of photography. There's a very detailed newbie's guide posted as a sticky here. Read up on focal length.

1. Battery grip allows more flexible vertical shooting and allows second battery to work together to increase work time.

2. For certain brands, just get more batteries can already.

3. As long same model of battery.

4. search wide angle.

5. search telephoto.

many CS-ers i know get the battery grip to look "more pro"

I am using it for the reason that i can take portrait shots much more easily. you wun look like an kuku with your hand wrapped around your head, especially when you are waiting for a shot in that position for a long while.... and it sure messes up my hair....

Last edited:
getting things to look more pro is for people who got a lot of money to burn.

usually for portraits or waiting for "the" shot, I would use a tripod and tilt the head to vertical and then use a external trigger to take a picture. In my opinion, as long get the shot does it matter if look like an idiot doing so?
That opinion is also for shots where tripod is not usable.

some bodies will have their fps increased.

Came across someone using battery grip and wondering what it is for ? Is there any different between the rechargeable one and the battery grip ? Do it still have to use another type of batteries or using the original Canon battery given with the camera ?

>>> Because you want to avoid chicken wing when shooting portrait mode. I haven't heard of a rechargeable battery grip. Battery grip can use camera's batteries.

What is wide angle lens and how to recognise them by what measurements ?

>>>For 1.6 crop body, the widest you can go is 10-22mm. Unless you go for the Sigma 8mm, not sure how would turn out on a 1.6 crop.

Does tele-lens 75mm - 300mm good for taking near pics within 70 - 75mm onwards ? Thanks.

>>>I have no idea what you're trying to say.

battery grip is to impress girls

just kidding

so that you can take vertical shots easier, also claimed to help balance the camera

Taking photos where showing armpit is not allowed :bsmilie::bsmilie:

Thank you very much for all your feedback and comments on the use of battery grip and tele-lens. I think I have gathered some infos and ideas about it and will consider it later in the future. In the meanwhile just be contented with an extra camera battery to back-up. More to learn and experience with the 1000D. :kiss:

Because My camera is too light. I need to add weight. The batt compartment can also keep my spare CF cards. :dunno:

....What is wide angle lens and how to recognise them by what measurements ? ...

Wide Angle Lense is for effects that you wanna capture as much things from where u r standing. Usually ppl use it for landscape. But with creativity it has many other usage too :) U need some readings for that. And for which lense has what angle, u can go to Canon website & see the specs if u r on Canon systems etc. Dpreview also shows u the specs & sample images taken by different lense so that u can judge yourself if u need it for your purpose. :)

Happy Learning :)

Last edited:
Just keep READING
SHOOTING
and ask only if you can't find any answers on the net and forum...

many CS-ers i know get the battery grip to look "more pro"

I am using it for the reason that i can take portrait shots much more easily. you wun look like an kuku with your hand wrapped around your head, especially when you are waiting for a shot in that position for a long while.... and it sure messes up my hair....

Chicken Wing Syndrome ? :bsmilie:

Or something like that I've heard lol

Wide Angle Lense is for effects that you wanna capture as much things from where u r standing. Usually ppl use it for landscape. But with creativity it has many other usage too :) U need some readings for that. And for which lense has what angle, u can go to Canon website & see the specs if u r on Canon systems etc. Dpreview also shows u the specs & sample images taken by different lense so that u can judge yourself if u need it for your purpose. :)

Happy Learning :)

Thanks bro, good tips. :thumbsup: Will learn as the days go by using it more often for different shootings. Lazy to read up on all specs or website. Prefer direct hand-on, learn faster that way and understanding better too. Must play a lots with it before can know its in and out well. :)

Yes, it is much easier to just ask questions and be spoonfed.
Much easier that way and so much better to just let others do the work.
Good job.

Thanks bro, good tips. :thumbsup: Will learn as the days go by using it more often for different shootings. Lazy to read up on all specs or website. Prefer direct hand-on, learn faster that way and understanding better too. Must play a lots with it before can know its in and out well. :)

It's my big hands that attract the girls ;) battery grip also good so I can use the camera more comfortably over long shoots.

Status
Not open for further replies.