What is the use of IR lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mankul

Mar 27, 2002
Bedok Reservoir View
Visit site
I've seen some pics of it... but what is so good about it? it actually show regions of heat source ah? I dunno lah:p tell me lah :)

i am also very interested to know.
where can we get an ir lens.
how much is it?
what can it do?

This has been discussed somewhere in this forum, can't find the thread... hee hee...

Ok, back to secondary school physics class. Visible light and IR are both on the electromagnectic spectrum, With the wavelength of visible light between ultraviolet and Infared. IR photography refers to taking pictures using IR radiation that has wavelength close to visible light (known as near IR) that is not visible to our eyes.

Near IR is not the same as Far IR, Far IR measures heat emittion and requires specialized equipment. (No predator view for you then). IR lens or filters are designed to block out visible light but allows IR rays to pass through. This way, one can take images using IR instead of light, and since these rays are not visible to our eyes, one can get interesting images. Many IR filters does not block all visible light, these are designed for SLR, with some visible light passing through, one still can see what he's shooting at.

For digital cameras, the CCD are innately able to see IR radiation, some camera makers puts an IR-blocking filter inside the camera and if these filters blocks out a lot of IR radiation, these cameras cannot be used to take IR images. One way to test your camera is to point a remote control at the lens of your digital and press some button, if your camera is sensitive to IR, you should be able to see the IT led of the remote control light up on your camera's LCD screen.

So why shoot in IR instead of visible light? Materials and surfaces reflects IR differently from Visible light. The transmittion of IR and visible light through materail may also be different. A Pair of Sun glasses will block out much of the sunlight, but IR goes through them as if its not present. Due to this, one can get images that are not possible with visible light and allow one to seee the world in a very different "Light".

Originally posted by Flare
This has been discussed somewhere in this forum, can't find the thread... hee hee...

Ok, back to secondary school physics class. Visible light and IR are both on the electromagnectic spectrum, With the wavelength of visible light between ultraviolet and Infared. IR photography refers to taking pictures using IR radiation that has wavelength close to visible light (known as near IR) that is not visible to our eyes.

Near IR is not the same as Far IR, Far IR measures heat emittion and requires specialized equipment. (No predator view for you then). IR lens or filters are designed to block out visible light but allows IR rays to pass through. This way, one can take images using IR instead of light, and since these rays are not visible to our eyes, one can get interesting images. Many IR filters does not block all visible light, these are designed for SLR, with some visible light passing through, one still can see what he's shooting at.

For digital cameras, the CCD are innately able to see IR radiation, some camera makers puts an IR-blocking filter inside the camera and if these filters blocks out a lot of IR radiation, these cameras cannot be used to take IR images. One way to test your camera is to point a remote control at the lens of your digital and press some button, if your camera is sensitive to IR, you should be able to see the IT led of the remote control light up on your camera's LCD screen.

So why shoot in IR instead of visible light? Materials and surfaces reflects IR differently from Visible light. The transmittion of IR and visible light through materail may also be different. A Pair of Sun glasses will block out much of the sunlight, but IR goes through them as if its not present. Due to this, one can get images that are not possible with visible light and allow one to seee the world in a very different "Light".

thanks for the insight man.... this is great... I just found out that my s10 can see the white light flashing from the remote controller... err... so how can I can I take advantage of this?

I don't think my s10 can do anything...

Well, get an IR filter... wait for the sun to rise and go out take pictures.
=)
Some member here have posteed some great IR images.... take a look...
=)

Well, get an IR filter... wait for the sun to rise and go out take pictures.
=)
Some member here have posteed some great IR images.... take a look...
=)

s10 can put IR filters ah? :p

me not familiar with the specs of the F10....
But...er... I think cannot.... though there may be a third party adapto that allows u to use a filter with it....

cheem...I thought IR lens is that kinda lens that can see thru cloths or some materials one..is there really such a thing out there?

hahah... shouldn't be really telling u all the bad things. The see through clothes IR and the IR I refer to is the same thing. The see through clothes "ability" is due to the fact materials block visible light and IR differently. Some material may block out all the visible light, making it opaque to our eyes, but will allow a significant IR to pass through, thus, the see through effect is achieved when the appropriate equipment is used. This I'll not go in details. Doing something like that is illegal. But just a little of your technical brain and knowledge of physics.. You can guess.

hahah... shouldn't be really telling u all the bad things. The see through clothes IR and the IR I refer to is the same thing. The see through clothes "ability" is due to the fact materials block visible light and IR differently. Some material may block out all the visible light, making it opaque to our eyes, but will allow a significant IR to pass through, thus, the see through effect is achieved when the appropriate equipment is used. This I'll not go in details. Doing something like that is illegal. But just a little of your technical brain and knowledge of physics.. You can guess.

hmmm gettting interesting...but then...these illegal things shouldn't be brought to light....so send me a PM to tell me more haha.... :kok:

Originally posted by eadwine

hmmm gettting interesting...but then...these illegal things shouldn't be brought to light....so send me a PM to tell me more haha.... :kok:

PM me too :bsmilie:

Originally posted by isomers007
ark19 got some pretty got IR pics...http://www.pbase.com/ark19

infos about it can be found here::
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2187
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1083

Wah, first time my nick was mentioned! :)
Thanks isomers007.

I feel that infrared pics gives a totally different feeling of a scenery.
It might look very boring to the naked eye, but when seen thru the infrared filter, it looks kindof wierd and sometimes impressive!

Try shooting human faces, very ghostly effects.

One of the uses of infrared photography is in the inspection of crops.
Airplanes fitted with ir film is used to photograph large areas of farmland to inspect the health of crops. Crops which are unhealthy would appear darker....

Other uses include applications in archaeology, ecology, forestry, geology and even by criminal investigators.

Thus, please don't abuse the use of such technology for enjoyment in illegal objectives ;(

Else, the next time when ppl see an ir filter mounted on a camera, they would shout "pervet"!

Don't worry... Never PM them anything... I still want to shoot in IR ley... And Ark has very nice IR pics... you people better go see...

IR pictures...I like it. Well the pic I have seen really are stunning..especially some shots on the tree. hah just catches my eyes. Well..use it right I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.