what is the right way to start!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sameenkhan

Sep 8, 2007
hey

what is the right way to start photography?

how do you start getting contacts, opportunities to practice and get into the field, esp when you are new in Singapore, really don't know many people, and non-singaporian.....

how do you find a buddy to do photography together......

Sameen
sameen.khan@sam-images.com

you need to have network with many professional photographers, let others know about you, what are you specialize with, we do refer jobs to among photographers, or co work together for bigger projects.

so find what are the local professional groups you can associate with..

doing community projects also able to gain your exposure, and improve your PR but will not land you many paid jobs.

in short, you need to do a few free jobs to pay back to the society when you are a professional, but doing many free jobs will not make you a professional.

contacts, assignments will come by when more people know about you and your works, this will not come overnight anyway.

hope this help.

thank you v much............let me know if you know any community where photographers are working on small/big projects even for free.....i already volunteer with singapore red cross, etc but it's occassional and i don't think so it has helped me networked further.........i keep on doing just for charity work....that's it....

look for any RC (resident communities), they organize a lots of events for the residents, you can volunteer your photography service, do note they will cling on you dearly if you are shooting for free.

you also can look out National Volunteer & Philanthropy Centre, for any volunteer opportunities.

Some religion groups, also constantly look out for photographers to volunteer their services.

anyway, if you intend to shoot for money, you have to make known to people clearly, doing too many free jobs will not land you any paid jobs, you have already let many other know you are FREE or cheap, so people may want you services, but don't have the intention to pay you decently, the quality of your works is irrelevant here.

look out for any RC (resident communities) near you, they organize a lots of events for the residents, you can volunteer your photography service, do note they will cling on you dearly if you are shooting for free.

you also can look out National Volunteer & Philanthropy Centre, for any volunteer opportunities.

Some religion groups, also constantly look out for photographers to volunteer their services.

anyway, if you intend to shoot for money, you have to make known to people clearly, doing too many free jobs will not land you any paid jobs, you have already let many other know you are FREE or CHEAP, so people may want you services, but don't have the intention to pay you decently, the quality of your works is irrelevant here.

Hope this help.

yes it does, that's why i said that with volunteer work, it is difficult to get actual/paid assignments.........

how are you gonne tell people you shooting for money?

via you website? I only see you offer various of photography services, but none of any photos show/support for what you do..

I see someone only offer just ONE type of photography service, and showing the appropriate portfolio, buyers will be very clear this is the right person they are looking for.

In you previous thread, someone already highlight this issue too you.

So stay focus, see what type of work interest you most, build up the portfolio you required, make known to all the people around you, tell them what you do, show them your ability.

Words will spread, but still will take some time.

Hope this help.

thanks!.....i'm building my portfolio in travel/nature at this moment

thank you v much............let me know if you know any community where photographers are working on small/big projects even for free.....i already volunteer with singapore red cross, etc but it's occassional and i don't think so it has helped me networked further.........i keep on doing just for charity work....that's it....

wanted to volunteer for red cross until they told me....everything belong to them....i cannot use the pic for myself.....so just give up

Status
Not open for further replies.