What is the recommended/acceptable amount of time before delivery of photos?

guardianhm

Feb 22, 2010
Toa Payoh, Singapore
Hi

I have been doing paid shoots for the past 2 years. I take about 2 days to 4 weeks to deliver photos depending on the projects and amount of time required to pp.

I have been having some difficulty with some clients. Some request for the photos within 2 days while some don't really complain. From your experience, how long do you take to deliver the photos?

I do mainly events and recently did some portraits as well.

Thank in advance.

Hi

I have been doing paid shoots for the past 2 years. I take about 2 days to 4 weeks to deliver photos depending on the projects and amount of time required to pp.

I have been having some difficulty with some clients. Some request for the photos within 2 days while some don't really complain. From your experience, how long do you take to deliver the photos?

I do mainly events and recently did some portraits as well.

Thank in advance.
for event coverage, you need to give them ASAP.
for portrait, just let them know your usual turnaround time before the shoot, if they any issue, than just refer them to someone who can deliver very fast.

You need to communicate this to your clients your comfortable delivery timing before getting the job. This is important as if you late by a couple of days is also consider "under deliver". Don't take the job if you are not comfortable with.

My typically time frame is 7 days clients get to see the images online and any order will take up to 2 weeks for delivery from the order. Of course, I am talking 95% of the time. There might be delay or may be quicker depending on situation.

Wedding work, generally I do say 4 weeks from the event for the clients to see the images.

Sometimes, due to unforeseen circumstances, the delivery timing might be exceeded but this will have to be communicated to your clients earlier and agreed upon.

If worst come to worst, when every precaution taken and fail, you will offer clients so "perks" even if they don't ask for it as a good will from you.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Hart

Potrait or wedding work can take a month, as long as delivery time is spelled out beforehand. Event work usually require fast turnaround - sometimes same day partial delivery, for web or internal press.

Thanks for the replies guys! I shall from now on spell out how long I need before taking up jobs.

I took a job that is both events and need to shoot portraits, same client and same group of people. As I had previously told them that I will deliver them together, they are now frustrated with me for delivering late. It took me quite a bit of time to work on 31 portraits. Things just did not work out the way I wanted it to. So many unforeseen obstacles. haizz...

I wonder what you do with 31 images for portrait and take
so long.

Normal portrait shot shouldn't take a couple of minutes for each image unless extensive work is require.

If u don't know what to do, that is not "unforeseen" circumstances, that is your inability to deliver.

Unforeseen circumstances generally are things outside your control, such as you main comp and back up comp died at same time, or your raid system is blown.

It seems that your client is frustrated with your inability to produce work promised on time. U will have to do a lot to make sure you get repeat business.

Regards,

hart

Sorry, meant to say for 31 people. 4 photos per person and 8 group shots. Nope I didn't take too long with purely the portraits. But they had 12 mini events within that duration. So end up focusing on producing the event photographs first. Well, shall not blame things purely on unforeseen circumstances, partly my fault for not working faster. :(

Looks like there are lots of work... I hope you charge enough to cover your cost plus a little bit of profit.

Regards,

Hart