What is the real definition of SLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AReality

Jun 9, 2003
visualjournalist.net

Carried on from http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=103787

To understand something, always understand the history.

There was once when some cameras need 2 lenses, one for viewing, the other one for capturing the image. This type of camera has a non-movable mirror inside. It is called a Twin Lens Reflex (TLR) camera.

Then came this person called Technology. He managed to use only one lens, the same lens to view & capture the image, by moving the mirror. This allows you to capture what you see through the lens (TTL). Thus, came the name "Single Lens Reflex (SLR)", because it uses only one lens, and has a mirror.

However, Technology was not satisfied, he decided to invent digital cameras. He created many different types, some with optical viewfinders, some with electronic viewfinders. Some allows you to change lens, some do not.

So now what is an SLR? Technology messed it up, didn't he?

Basically, an SLR should have only a single lens. Normal P&S cameras use an additional lens for the viewfinder, remember that... It also needs a mirror, else it's not called reflex already. It can only be called a TTL camera. The mirror need not be movable.

So is the Minolta 7Hi an SLR?
No. It has a single lens. However, it does not have a mirror. Thus it can only be called a TTL camera. not a SLR. However, some people like to call it an "SLR-like" camera. Ahhh... It's LIKE an SLR, but not one.

:)

alpie said:
I ask you the same question. Definition of SLR has nothing to do with mirror mechanism. I should ask you where you got that idea.

According to KODAK and many others know it better than you:
SLR = Single Lens Reflex
SLR cameras use the same lens to view and take a picture. So the viewfinder and the film/ccd/cmos use the same lens. There are many cameras out there with fixed lenses bu they are SINGLE LENS reflex or reflect (as you say). Whether you use mirror or some other mechanism to transmit the view to the viewfinder is a technical matter.

Here is dictionary definition of SLR:

sin·gle-lens reflex
adj. Abbr. SLR
Of or designating a form of reflex camera in which the reflecting mirror retracts when the shutter is released.

If you still feel know better than dictionary please let me know.

AReality said:

To understand something, always understand the history.

There was once when some cameras need 2 lenses, one for viewing, the other one for capturing the image. This type of camera has a non-movable mirror inside. It is called a Twin Lens Reflex (TLR) camera.

Then came this person called Technology. He managed to use only one lens, the same lens to view & capture the image, by moving the mirror. This allows you to capture what you see through the lens (TTL). Thus, came the name "Single Lens Reflex (SLR)", because it uses only one lens, and has a mirror.

However, Technology was not satisfied, he decided to invent digital cameras. He created many different types, some with optical viewfinders, some with electronic viewfinders. Some allows you to change lens, some do not.

So now what is an SLR? Technology messed it up, didn't he?

Basically, an SLR should have only a single lens. Normal P&S cameras use an additional lens for the viewfinder, remember that... It also needs a mirror, else it's not called reflex already. It can only be called a TTL camera. The mirror need not be movable.

No. It has a single lens. However, it does not have a mirror. Thus it can only be called a TTL camera. not a SLR. However, some people like to call it an "SLR-like" camera. Ahhh... It's LIKE an SLR, but not one.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I recall there is an EOS RT. It has a semi-transparent mirror. The mirror is fixed and will not move. It is single lens but not reflex.

AReality said:

:thumbsup: for you to be patient enough to explain.

I'm only give him advice to check out what SLR means.

jjch_sg said:
I recall there is an EOS RT. It has a semi-transparent mirror. The mirror is fixed and will not move. It is single lens but not reflex.
My explanation states that the mirror need not be movable. Last sentence in last 2nd paragraph.

reflex means reflection, not the movement of the mirror, nor the way your leg moves when U hit the specific point near your knee.

From what I know, the Olympus IS series, E10/E20 can be called ZLRs or Zoom Lens Reflex, since they are not a true SLR. They could also be called bridge cameras, a term from Olympus that meant a combination of SLR and compact camera. By this defination, Minolta 7/7i/7Hi/A1/A2, Canon Powershot Pro 1 could be called a ZLR or bridge camera.

Need to add on something to make the picture more complete...

The term "SLR" was coined long before the digital age. During then, an SLR is anything that uses only ONE lens, and has a mirror to reflect the image to the OPTICAL viewfinder.

Our Mr Techno then invented the electronic viewfinder (EVF). Now, there is no need for the mirror already. So why is it called an SLR? Coz you still can look through the EVF, and what-you-see-is-what-you-get (WYSIWYG). So why they still name it SLR? It has got to do with the status associated with the term SLR.

Everyone knows that an SLR camera looks more pro than a normal P&S. Thus the term "SLR" is associated with a "better than the average" camera. Ahh... Now you know how manufacturers try to boost their sales?

Imagine you name the camera "SLE". People will be wondering what is that? Never hear before, dare not try. SLE == Single Lens Electronic.

CY_OH said:
From what I know, the Olympus IS series, E10/E20 can be called ZLRs or Zoom Lens Reflex, since they are not a true SLR. They could also be called bridge cameras, a term from Olympus that meant a combination of SLR and compact camera. By this defination, Minolta 7/7i/7Hi/A1/A2, Canon Powershot Pro 1 could be called a ZLR or bridge camera.

here we go again.... :sweat:

anyway want to read up on e10?

steve digicam review on e10

I thought someone had explained about Reflex? :think:

AReality said:
Imagine you name the camera "SLE". People will be wondering what is that? Never hear before, dare not try. SLE == Single Lens Electronic.[/B][/COLOR]

heard before. it's Seletar Expressway right? ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.