What is the purpose or application of a honeycomb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shark

Sep 25, 2003
West
Visit site
Hi,

I just bought a studio lighting kit. May I know what is the purpose of a honeycomb.

Hi,

I just bought a studio lighting kit. May I know what is the purpose of a honeycomb.

to concentrate light focus, similar to a snoot -- more specifically to restrict the fall of light on the subject

Last edited:
Hi,

similar to a snoot, it concentrates the light to a smaller point. it has a softer edge than snoot if i am not wrong.

similar to a snoot, it concentrates the light to a smaller point. it has a softer edge than snoot if i am not wrong.

Softer edge, I believe.

Basically its purpose has been covered; it makes your light more focused. IIRC, used with soft lights, it also makes them a little harder, but not to the point where they become hard lights.

a concentrated hard light with a soft edge, simple as that.

Or, if used in front of a soft-box, it can create a soft light with a more defined, but not hard edge. :bsmilie:

I use it in place of a snoot for hair highlights or background lighting.

Or, if used in front of a soft-box, it can create a soft light with a more defined, but not hard edge. :bsmilie:
if you are referring to those attach on a softbox, is actually call louver.

if you are referring to a lighting technique, than it will give a hard light within a soft light.

Yeah. but hardly anyone knows about louvers, or even heard of them.

The younger ones would probably be a bit more familiar with a newer thingy usually called an 'egg-crate'. Greatest advantage of this design is that it's soft, no-frame fitting usually attached by velcro so it folds and stores much more easily than louvers.

http://www.chimeralighting.com/dspProduct.asp?productid=15

Yeah. but hardly anyone knows about louvers, or even heard of them.

The younger ones would probably be a bit more familiar with a newer thingy usually called an 'egg-crate'. Greatest advantage of this design is that it's soft, no-frame fitting usually attached by velcro so it folds and stores much more easily than louvers.

http://www.chimeralighting.com/dspProduct.asp?productid=15

Woah the egg-crate is cool stuff. It was a pain transporting the old grid/honeycomb to use with Kino-Flo lights (I'm sure you're familiar with that right? Haha.)

Woah the egg-crate is cool stuff. It was a pain transporting the old grid/honeycomb to use with Kino-Flo lights (I'm sure you're familiar with that right? Haha.)

Err ... no, only KINKIEEE-FLOWS!!! :devil: :bsmilie:

Just kidding.

I know of some togs who DIY egg-crates. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.