what is the purpose of a UV filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

erictan8888

Nov 9, 2004
Singapore
hi,

just like to ask a few questions:

1. what is the purpose of a UV filter ? How different is it from a lens hood?

2. How much is a UV filter for nikon D70 ? where can i get it ?

thx

filter is to screw on over the lens. depends on what lens diameter it is (eg 52mm, 67mm, 77mm). the filter is to prevent finger/water/rain splash /dirt/dust/whatever rubbish etc from coming into direct contact with the lens glass front element surface. the other function is since its a UV filter, it will supposedly filter out UV ray that will lessen the picture's contrast. if u use lens hood only without filter, the lens glass element is still exposed

expensive filters are B+W brand, nikon brand, etc. more affordable brands are HOYA. within HOYA itself it has mny different grade of filter. to save cost, a simple normal hoya UV filter will do. u wont see that much of a difference between cheap filter and branded ones

erictan8888 said:
hi,

just like to ask a few questions:

1. what is the purpose of a UV filter ? How different is it from a lens hood?

2. How much is a UV filter for nikon D70 ? where can i get it ?

thx
u dont get one for ur d70, u getting it for ur lens.

The front element of every len is exposed (ie: naked), thus it has no protection, UV filter cuts off the UV rays (for film) and images will appear less hazy.

It's recommended for all SLR lenses to have one to protect the front element (since it's coated) against knocks, scratches, etc etc.

Len hood protects against flare, excessive light from enterting the barrel and also general protection against knocks and such.

tink about it....if say u are walking and ya lens bump onto a branch.....instead of the front element getting hit, it filter will take the damage instead.....more worth it to pay for a new filter than a new lens rite..

so can give me a rough idea how much a UV filter cost?
Nikon UV filter price vs Hoya UV filter price?

also, what kind of UV filter is recommended, or should i say, what types of UV filters are available?

thx

nikon filter is good....haha... b+w is cool too...for me, i use hoya filters.... too expensive to buy the nikon or b+w filters for my lenses which are 77mm thread...

try to get those tt are glass ... not the cheaper plastic kind....

Nikon L37Cs do not have a size for 67mm, they only come in 52, 62, 72, 77mm. ($30-$120)

B+W I just sold 3 during the last MO $68 ea.

I still have 8 pieces of Hoya 67mm going at $29 ea.

hehe...if u are using the d70 kit lens....juz get the hoya 67 from espn lo haha...

just like to know if the kit lens is 52mm or 62mm?

thx

Actually at the bottom.

eg: SWM ED IF Ø 77

how much does the hoya uv filter cost for FZ20? i was quoted $60(can't rmb) at AP with the cam bundle($980)..but after reading a few post..like the most 30++..so a little bit confused...

why the uncle quote me $60? is it because he's selling me different hoya quality?

Is there any UV filter for Canon A80?

Status
Not open for further replies.