What is the must place to visit in Melbourne?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haze

Aug 16, 2005
I am going to melbourne Free n Easy next mth for 12 days. So would like to ask where is the must place to visit? I plan to rent a car for 2 days.. to go to their countryside.. but not sure where should i drive to. Pls share your experience and advise :)

And any idea where can i book cheap and good car?

I've recently been to Melbourne and the Great Ocean Road.... I think you should book a car for the entire trip cos it'll be worth it. Spend a few days driving the Great Ocean Road and head up to the Grampians as well. You will love it. Melbourne is a great city but we've all been living in a city all our lives so I feel that your focus should be the countryside. I spent only 8 hours in Melbourne during my 12 days in Australia.

Mornington Peninsula which is south of Melbourne is also an excellent place to visit... Start at St Kilda (part of Melbourne) and end up in Rosebud, a sleepy town.

And then there's the Phillip Island National Park... :thumbsup:

Take a look at my travel log to get an idea of the places to visit...

http://www.angelfire.com/space2/fireblade/victoria

@Car rental: If you book on Zuji.com in Singapore... it'll be cheaper than booking it at the airport counter.

Yup, book the car rental on-line, it is much cheaper. Sometimes they may upgrade you.

Other places of interest:

Puffing Billy, a real steam locomotive that is in the Dandenongs.

Take in the city sights. Walk along Swanston street, Elizabeth street, along the city tram lines, watch some street performers, especially along Bourke Street mall. This is near the Chinatown area (Little Bourke Street) Get to Queen Victoria market on Sundays and have a look at their bazaar. Be careful when you are driving in the city. There are some parts where you have to keep left to turn right.

Melbourne is a wonderful place. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

:)

Great Ocean Road a Must!:thumbsup: :thumbsup: You won't regret it.

Also, visit St Kilda's Beach! Power!

Parking in Melbourne CBD for 12 days might kill you though. You can get around the CBD area quite easily by public transport (you can buy daily tourist passes, ask what is available) and it is less of a hassle than finding a parking lot and worrying about time being up on the meter.

If you're above 25, rental cars are cheap. Without comp insurance you can get a near-new Toyota Echo for $25-30 a day. Full insurance could run you $15 a day. Book in blocks, it can be cheaper. It is plenty big enough for 2 people and extremely fuel efficient. Try Hertz for that. I walked into their office, they told me they were out of cars. I walked across the street to an internet cafe, booked online, specified collection at the same place I had been rejected from, put a collection time 2 hours later, and I got my car. And they were out of Echos so they gave a Toyota Corolla manual.

Great Ocean Road is definitely a must go destination, especially the 12 Apostles.

r32 said:
Parking in Melbourne CBD for 12 days might kill you though. You can get around the CBD area quite easily by public transport (you can buy daily tourist passes, ask what is available) and it is less of a hassle than finding a parking lot and worrying about time being up on the meter.

If you're above 25, rental cars are cheap. Without comp insurance you can get a near-new Toyota Echo for $25-30 a day. Full insurance could run you $15 a day. Book in blocks, it can be cheaper. It is plenty big enough for 2 people and extremely fuel efficient. Try Hertz for that. I walked into their office, they told me they were out of cars. I walked across the street to an internet cafe, booked online, specified collection at the same place I had been rejected from, put a collection time 2 hours later, and I got my car. And they were out of Echos so they gave a Toyota Corolla manual.

i would only recommand Hertz and Avis... other than that, $$$$$ ....

dun bother to try xxxx ( blue color )... ask for 1k as a deposit even i am over 25..

yes, over 25 is definitely a PLUS... 80% sure free upgrade...

advice - MUST buy the insurance... ( story ?? my friend was lucky that he bought it.. was free upgraded. then during way back, accident.. car was UNREPAIR-ABLE.. but pay only 450 to settle excess.. )

lippie said:
Great Ocean Road is definitely a must go destination, especially the 12 Apostles.

GOR = :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

fun driving to there but CAREFUL if its your first time...

Hi guys.. thank you very much for the precious info.

To countryside.. must rent a car? Is there any public bus to the countryside? as my trip is pretty budget. 11 days there.. aroun 9 days will stay at my friend house. Then i thought of 2 days at farm stay. Sound quite boring hor ;(..

Those countryside.. can go and back within a day?

Haze said:
Hi guys.. thank you very much for the precious info.

To countryside.. must rent a car? Is there any public bus to the countryside? as my trip is pretty budget. 11 days there.. aroun 9 days will stay at my friend house. Then i thought of 2 days at farm stay. Sound quite boring hor ;(..

Those countryside.. can go and back within a day?
No buses but you can try the V/Line..

plan ur stay well. u dun need a car when u are in Melbourne city. as mentioned above, the carpark in melbourne arnt cheap, and usually very packed.

however, u will definitely need more than 2 days of car rental. grampians & great ocean road would take abt 3 days.

u can drive down to mornington peninsula, dropping by "arthur seat", and take ferry at sorrento to go over queen's cliff. cos u might be able to catch the wild dolphins while on the ferry. then drive over to great ocean road from queen's cliff. :)

Hi! If you don't want to rent a car, you can take a bus. They have bus tours that do Grampians, Phillip Island and the Twelve Apostles.

Been there in 1999, not sure what have been change, but I believe you will enjoy it very much. Have been visiting different cities but Melbourne still hold a special place in my heart.

Some of the MUST GO places, like what the rest have said, Great Ocean Road, Yara Valley, Mornington Penisular etc.

It is tricky driving in the city itself becos of the tram system, on most road at the junction, if you are turning right, you have to keep left... :confused:

Anyway.. enjoy yourself and remember to show us your photos when you return :)

philliptan said:
I've recently been to Melbourne and the Great Ocean Road.... I think you should book a car for the entire trip cos it'll be worth it. Spend a few days driving the Great Ocean Road and head up to the Grampians as well. You will love it. Melbourne is a great city but we've all been living in a city all our lives so I feel that your focus should be the countryside. I spent only 8 hours in Melbourne during my 12 days in Australia.

Mornington Peninsula which is south of Melbourne is also an excellent place to visit... Start at St Kilda (part of Melbourne) and end up in Rosebud, a sleepy town.

And then there's the Phillip Island National Park... :thumbsup:

Take a look at my travel log to get an idea of the places to visit...

http://www.angelfire.com/space2/fireblade/victoria

@Car rental: If you book on Zuji.com in Singapore... it'll be cheaper than booking it at the airport counter.

Hi Philip, remember me .. :p we talk in WLC thread before.. and your wife... expert in baking eheh :D.. how is she? Long time never see her talk to us :p.. tell her we miss her :)..

Thank you very much for the precious info... i have roughly Noted down.. too bad at office cannot see the website :( .. got to go home and see ur homepage :D.
May i know why is Rosebud a sleepy town? very greeny? I want to go to a greeny field lay down there and see sunset ;D..

eng_keow said:
Yup, book the car rental on-line, it is much cheaper. Sometimes they may upgrade you.

Other places of interest:

Puffing Billy, a real steam locomotive that is in the Dandenongs.

Take in the city sights. Walk along Swanston street, Elizabeth street, along the city tram lines, watch some street performers, especially along Bourke Street mall. This is near the Chinatown area (Little Bourke Street) Get to Queen Victoria market on Sundays and have a look at their bazaar. Be careful when you are driving in the city. There are some parts where you have to keep left to turn right.

Melbourne is a wonderful place. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

:)

Hey thanks :D... i hope i will love melbourne too. My mel friend have been nagging me to visit her for almost 2 yrs.. finally i decided to go. because she said Melbourne is a Wonderful city... from words really hard to imagine that ahha... Now my biggest headache is... dun know choose which day to book the car. as i want to drive 2 days only (budget issue, two of us only)

r32 said:

:bigeyes: $25 - $30 a day.. is it AUD or SG dollar? even is AUD..$30 + $15 ..$45 is still cheap leh... driving to countryside.. got to pay carpark? can you give me the hertz website??

k3nn3th03 said:
i would only recommand Hertz and Avis... other than that, $$$$$ ....

dun bother to try xxxx ( blue color )... ask for 1k as a deposit even i am over 25..

yes, over 25 is definitely a PLUS... 80% sure free upgrade...

advice - MUST buy the insurance... ( story ?? my friend was lucky that he bought it.. was free upgraded. then during way back, accident.. car was UNREPAIR-ABLE.. but pay only 450 to settle excess.. )

That mean i should book in singapore.. pay in singapore right. Not go to Aus then book online right?
what is xxxx (blue colour) ;o.. can PM me if is sensitive issue. Pai sei..
Ya definitely will buy insurance

k3nn3th03 said:
GOR = :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

fun driving to there but CAREFUL if its your first time...

My hubby drove to KL before.. consider experience???

Status
Not open for further replies.