What is the meter value about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sukoo

Apr 9, 2004
Hi, I am refering to the sample pictures in galleries from the dpreview.com.

On the top and buttom of the pictures there are always sets of EXIF (spelling?) of the pictures taken..
But there is this one value which goes like Meter: 13.5EV
What does the reading indicate?

EV refers to exposure value.

In your example: the exposure value (EV) is 13.5.

Now,what makes up the value of 13.5?
It's the combination of the shutter speed and aperture size.

Looking at the below EV table might give you a better understanding:

http://home.pcisys.net/~rlsnpjs/minolta/ev%20lv%20asa.html

Look for the EV value that you want, then read off the shutter speed and aperture size corresponding to it. You will then find that, for the same EV, you can have many different combinations of shutter speed and aperture.

Since, you have a 0.5 there, it simply means half-stop more from readings off 13EV.....

Hope it's not confusing......

Ok, thanks.. I roughly gets the idea.

I am using a canon G5. Have read through the manual and couldn't find any way to access the EV reading from the camera.
Does it mean that not all cameras comes with a built-in light meter? Meaning the EV values I saw on pictures in the G5 gallery in dpreview.com were likely to be measured using an external meter?

Any cam that has the ability to meter will have a in-built meter.
Although you will not get your readings in EV, but using the EV table, you can easily know the EV from your shutter speed and aperture size combi.

Most cams will not give you the Exposure Value becos info on shutter speed and aperture size instead is more useful.

Hand-held light meters most likely will have the function where you can toggle between shutter speed/aperture size readings or EVs.

I'm not too sure of your G5, but I wont be surprised if you cant read the exposure values directly from your cam. Henceforth, the readings in EV could be converted from the EV table, but using the shutter speed/aperture size readings from the camera, and in your case, the G5.

Hope it helps....

Thank you very much for your link and advices.

So do you guys really remember all the values in the EV table?

eagles_creek said:
Any cam that has the ability to meter will have a in-built meter.
Although you will not get your readings in EV, but using the EV table, you can easily know the EV from your shutter speed and aperture size combi.

Most cams will not give you the Exposure Value becos info on shutter speed and aperture size instead is more useful.

Hand-held light meters most likely will have the function where you can toggle between shutter speed/aperture size readings or EVs.

I'm not too sure of your G5, but I wont be surprised if you cant read the exposure values directly from your cam. Henceforth, the readings in EV could be converted from the EV table, but using the shutter speed/aperture size readings from the camera, and in your case, the G5.

Hope it helps....

Err......I don't know abt others.....but I don't.

Normally work in shutter speed / aperture size.....

Old school photographers such as Ansel Adams and Minor White, etc worked in EV.

I use EV quite often because I find it much easier than calculating aperature and shutter speed (which can be confusing sometimes).

Hope this may be of help to you.

I use sunny 16 rule = ev15. so just work out from there.

denniskee said:
Hope this may be of help to you.

I use sunny 16 rule = ev15. so just work out from there.

Sorry...but...err...not too sure if any newbie can work out anything fr there. Can elaborate further pls?

Cheers...Nizz

shooting in open space w/o shade, with sunny 16 rule, you set aperture to f16, shutter speed to 1/125 (if using ISO 100 film, ie speed = 1/film speed). these info are printed on the film box.

@ f16 and 1/125 sec (ISO 100 film), it give you EV15. so if you want to shoot in EV10, which is 5 stops different, you can either open up the aperture to f2.8 & 1/125, or shoot @ f16 and 1/4sec.

hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.