What is the meaning of "proof" in photography?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andreq

Deregistered
Jul 12, 2007
I've seen this word a few times on the Web but don't quite know what it is. :embrass::embrass:

Did a Goggle search but can't seem to find an answer.

When a wedding photographer says proofs are included in the package, is he referring to the prints (4R, 8R etc) that we are familiar with here?

Thanks for help!

I've seen this word a few times on the Web but don't quite know what it is. :embrass::embrass:

Did a Goggle search but can't seem to find an answer.

When a wedding photographer says proofs are included in the package, is he referring to the prints (4R, 8R etc) that we are familiar with here?

Thanks for help!

By right, a proof print is a contact print straight from the negative before the actual, usually large, print is made. It's done because it's cheaper to print a small copy to check first.

http://www.google.com/search?q=proof+print

This is a DTP definition.
http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/basic/g/proofs.htm
Definition: A general term for a variety of options for seeing what your file will look like when printed is a proof. Printing proofs are used for checking that all text and graphics and colors come out as expected before going to press. A prepress proof uses ink jets, dyes, overlays or other methods to simulate the final printed piece. A press proof uses the printing plates and inks specified for the job.Proofing your work comes at various stages but there are specific types of proofs created during prepress and printing that allow the designer to see if their piece will come out as intended in the final printing. Different types of printing proofs are more accurate than others but with increased accuracy comes increased costs.

Oh thanks, thanks....

I guess the photographers are referring to the actual prints then. Maybe some of them are so used to the term that they used it even in this digital age.

I find sometimes overseas photographers refer to certain familiar terms in different names. American ones for eg, refer to the camera flash as "Strobes". Here we say flash as flash.

Oh thanks, thanks....

I guess the photographers are referring to the actual prints then. Maybe some of them are so used to the term that they used it even in this digital age.

I find sometimes overseas photographers refer to certain familiar terms in different names. American ones for eg, refer to the camera flash as "Strobes". Here we say flash as flash.

Sometimes it give me the impression that they don't know what they are saying also. I also don't know why there should be proofs for actual day wedding photography. You just shoot and give everything back to the client. When you're giving the actual pictures back, is there a need for proof? :dunno: Proof is usually to get the client's approval before the actual print (may be expensive) is made.

As for flash, I think flash is the more correct term because strobe should be a repeating flash light which synchronize with certain movements, eg stroboscope. Americans ain't that good with English too. ;p

the proof you are referring it is not the final print,

in US wedding photography, paper proof are refer to a 4R or 5R print without touch up.

digital or online proof are referring to softcopy of the images, mostly unprintable.

the reason doing so is to show customer the images and let them select the images for final album, at the some time prevent them print the images without ordering from the photographers.

Status
Not open for further replies.