What is the main difference between an 18-55 and an 18-70?

Status
Not open for further replies.

informer

Aug 5, 2005
Hi I have a chance to buy an 18-70 lens for my Nikon D50, just wonder if it is much better than the 18-55?

I've takens quite a number of pictures with my old 18-55s and its not bad, but now I'm after something more exciting cause I'll be travelling quite a bit.

Can anyone advice or should I save for a more powerful lens? Also, what is a 24mm lens?

The difference between 55 and 70 is not that significant in terms of zoom versatility. If you want something different, wait for the new 18-200 AFS VR.

However, if you are really looking for "...something more exciting...", you might want to consider 17-55.

how abt the 55-200mm lens that we can buy optional if we get the D50 now..Is it worth buying?

Hi,
You need to consider what type of photography are you into. If you are going for landscape, wide angle such as 17-55 will be good. If you need the zoom or telephoto, then go for 55-200 if you want.

Hi thanks for the feedback.

Basically I've been offered around $300 for an 18-70 lens and was wondering if its worth replacing my 18-55, or get something like a 55-200 (the second lens that comes with the D50 kit) or the 70-300 (cheaper still and somewhat recommended by Ken Rockwell).

Had a look at the cost of the 18-200 and 17-55 and I nearly rip my pants.

Hi Informer,

For a start, the kit lens 18-55 should be considered ok unless you need wide angle or the zoom or telephoto range. Getting 18-70mm and 55-200mm is good in the sense that you overlap slightly so that you need not always change the lens.

However, for long term-wise, what is the kind of photography will you like? If you like landscape, then safe up and invest on a wide angle lens. If you want far distance, get the zoom lens. The VR function for the 18-200 will be worth the money as telephoto range lens is subjected to shake and hence causing blurry pictures.

Hi Francis, thanks for that!

Basically I didn't really want to carry too many lenses around as I don't consider myself a hardcore amateur yet let alone a pro. Like most newbies, I just want something amazing to replace my 18-55. I've taken some great photos and doing some crazy things taking them with the 18-55 (managed to take a great picture of a dragonfly). I travel a lot too so I think a general purpose good pair of lens would suffice for now until i really get bitten by the photo bug.

I took a look at the 18-200 and it sounds amazing. How much does it cost in Singapore? In Japan it cost around 90,000 yen, which was more than the camera that i bought! :bigeyes:

informer said:
Hi Francis, thanks for that!

Basically I didn't really want to carry too many lenses around as I don't consider myself a hardcore amateur yet let alone a pro. Like most newbies, I just want something amazing to replace my 18-55. I've taken some great photos and doing some crazy things taking them with the 18-55 (managed to take a great picture of a dragonfly). I travel a lot too so I think a general purpose good pair of lens would suffice for now until i really get bitten by the photo bug.

I took a look at the 18-200 and it sounds amazing. How much does it cost in Singapore? In Japan it cost around 90,000 yen, which was more than the camera that i bought! :bigeyes:

welcome the to world for 18-200.. sigma has one.. without VR.. pix are quite good. i us 18-200 as similar reason like you say.. with my D50. pix-1
pix-2

Hi Informer,

You are welcome.
Maybe we can start off to consider your alternative.

18-55mm (Current Kit Lens) - Wide angle at 18mm, Normal at 55mm
18-70mm (Kit Lens for D70s @ $300) - Wide angle at 18mm, Slight Telephoto at 70mm
55-200mm - Normal at 55mm, Telephoto at 200mm
70-300mm - Telephoto Zoom between 70mm and 300mm.

If you haven't sell off your 18-55mm, then consider 55-200mm so that you can cover the range of 18mm (Wide angle) and 200mm (Telephoto). If you need to cover the range so that you no need to keep changing the lens, try to get a lens with the range that can cover 55mm. If not, I think those 2 lens should be good enough for quite a while until you get bitten by the Buy Buy Buy Bug. ;p

informer said:
its very common for lenses to be more expensive then the bodies. there's no reviews on the 18-200 yet but generally such hyper-zooms lose out in sharpness and contrast especially on the 2 ends.
with dslr u must be prepared to spend some big bucks, but ur investment will last u a long time.
i have the tokina 12-24, 28-80 and nikon 70-200vr + tc1.7 these are like all that i'll ever need, or at least for the next 10years.

so wat i suggest is that if ur willing to commit, get the best/near best. compromising then upgrading will cost more.

Hi Informer,

Based on what you describe a Sigma 18-200 should serve you well. Image quality is pretty decent, though you may have to use a tripod at 200. Performance is optimised for the wide-end, so image quality will suffer a little when you use the tele end, but don't let this deter you.

At the end of the day, as amateurs, we're not getting paid for our shots. There comes a time when we have to stop obessing over equipment and start taking pictures and enjoying photography. No need to tighten you belt and buy the best unless you can afford it. Photography, after all, is to us a hobby.

so how much does the sigma 18-200 lens cost?

Think MSColor sells it for ard $560. Quite a good deal considering the range and quality you're getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.