What is the limited size of cam bag tht can be carried on board plane?

please compare measurements to measurements stipulated in your confirmation email/ticket.

fastpack 250 should be fine, from my experience.

please compare measurements to measurements stipulated in your confirmation email/ticket.

yah different airlines measurement slightly different.

i know my billingham original got no problems... but billingham 335 the air stewardess asked me not to put under my chair (for cathay pacific airlines)

But will it be allowed to check in as in when they check through the xray?
And i'm taking Singapore airlines.

how abt jetstar?

i'll be carrying a micro trekker, shld be ard same size as fastpack 250 but i'll be carrying another laptop by hand cause it cant fit into the micro trekker, shldn't be a prob rite?

can't say for sure. depends on your luck. I have seen some airlines strictly enforcing one hand carry luggage only while I have got away with one backpack and one shoulder carry. I think the trick is to make them appear light. Anyway, for you convenience and others, try not to have too many hand carry. I cannot stand those people that carry "big packet small packet" when they could have check them in. Because of the need to bring out laptop during security scanning. I have now proceed to check-in my laptop as well. Just bubble-wrap them and put them into the carry case. Then put the case between the clothes in your luggage.

yah different airlines measurement slightly different.

i know my billingham original got no problems... but billingham 335 the air stewardess asked me not to put under my chair (for cathay pacific airlines)

i had no problems ever with sq for my digital rucksack from kata.. 467 i think.

but that was for london, i think they are more liberal with longer flights also.

i don't envision having any problems in this aspect unless you meet an air steward(ess) having a bad day. i can always spot people who are obviously infringing the max baggage measurement limits.. the general idea , i think, is based on your ability to handle what you are carrying, so that you don't pose a risk to other passengers.

of course, carrying 8 rolling luggages and claiming that it is fine would be very silly.

I thought it is a standard sizing....overall measure of 105 or 115 L+W+H.

So far not heard of rejected DSLR setup up on the plane; except for tripod.

I will be carrying a backpack for my cam, my monopod and another backpack for my things is it ok?

Oh and ot abit, should i bring my monopod or tripod? Will be going to taiwan for 8days. Mostly shopping and sightseeing.

Besides size, there's also weight limit. On JetStar, I notice that they will weight luggage if they think is more the the limit (10kg).

shouldn't be a problem ba...

travel with huge backpack when going to europe too.. and i had a coat hangar filled too..

only problem is with those budget airlines..

but if SQ then no issue i presume..

Besides size, there's also weight limit. On JetStar, I notice that they will weight luggage if they think is more the the limit (10kg).

I don't think it's 10, more like 7 kg. I know you can carry laptop separately, I was reprimanded for putting them together and cost the weight to be higher than 7kg before... especially flying from AUS - They tell me you can carry laptop separately.

I will be carrying a backpack for my cam, my monopod and another backpack for my things is it ok?

Oh and ot abit, should i bring my monopod or tripod? Will be going to taiwan for 8days. Mostly shopping and sightseeing.

Why don't you google for the T & C for the SQ baggage ?

IIRC, the industry standard for normal airline ( excluding budget, ) is a standard cabin size luggage, 7kg , and an allowance for additional laptop/camera bag ( small ) , I guess the size of the laptop / camera bag is subjective and final decision from the carrier.

We had carried 15-20kg of underwater camera / video equipments onboard as hand luggage, so long they are able to be packed into the standard cabin size luggage,and not appear heavy.

My heaviest experience (on JetStar flight to Indonesia) will be Fastpack 250 with the usual gears + laptop + Manfrotto in the bag. I can bring all onboard.

Not once, but twice.

My heaviest experience (on JetStar flight to Indonesia) will be Fastpack 250 with the usual gears + laptop + Manfrotto in the bag. I can bring all onboard.

Not once, but twice.

all in 1 bag or can separate? i'm concern tht they won't allow 2 items

Separated, my tripod is in the mafrotto bag.

At the check-in counter I asked the staff whether the tripod bag is allowed in the cabin. Only when she said "OK" then I'm assured. You should probably ask them, they know the best.

Last edited:
At the check-in counter I asked the staff whether the tripod bag is allowed in the cabin. Only when she said "OK" then I'm assured. You should probably ask them, they know the best.

On the contrary, I have been told to checked in the tripod as it was without a bag and looked damn dangerous :) It is a big black 3kg cheapo metal tripod. So I just let them stick the sticker around one of the legs and off it goes on the conveyor.

I think chances with 2 backpacks are slim unless you carry a baby and pretend one of the bags has got diapers and milk powder in it. What do the rest think?

Last edited:
I will be flying back to manila onboard with jetstar this coming thursday and Im bringing my fastpack 350 with laptop inside, probably will weight arnd 7kg ++. Base on my flight experience on different airlines, that size of bag can be a hand carry luggage coz last time i'm using my Tommy duffel bag which is way bigger than fastpack350. Happy trip!!!

can't say for sure. depends on your luck. I have seen some airlines strictly enforcing one hand carry luggage only while I have got away with one backpack and one shoulder carry. I think the trick is to make them appear light. Anyway, for you convenience and others, try not to have too many hand carry. I cannot stand those people that carry "big packet small packet" when they could have check them in. Because of the need to bring out laptop during security scanning. I have now proceed to check-in my laptop as well. Just bubble-wrap them and put them into the carry case. Then put the case between the clothes in your luggage.

By right laptop bag and camera bag can bring on board and it is not counted as one of the hand carry luggage.

When I came back from oversea after outstation for a year, i managed to carry 60kg without excess luggage fee.

1x 27.8kg suit case checked-in (limit was 25kg, purposely pack the suitcase in such a way to make it slightly less than 28kg)
3 sets of big kites checked-in (the poles are over 1.5m, too long to stuff inside suitcase)

hand carry close to 30kg onboard:
2x laptop bags (i had 2 laptops - easily 5-6kg including the bag)
1x lowepro mini-trekker with tripod strap on it (easily 10kg for the camera bag alone - 1D body + 3 L lenses + 2 primes + 1 flash)
1 x sling bag (another 10 kg)

I also wear all my heavy winter clothing and strap 1 jacket around my waist.

U can imagine i was walking with 2 laptop bags on shoulder, 1 sling bag behind me and 1 camera bag on my back and pulling a 30kg suitcase...sweating with all the thick winter clothes on my body :bsmilie:

Last edited:
I think chances with 2 backpacks are slim unless you carry a baby and pretend one of the bags has got diapers and milk powder in it. What do the rest think?

I always carry at least a mini trekker + 1 sling bag onboard.

Tried SIA, Malaysia airline, China airline, Tiger air, Jetstar, JAL, Cathay...etc

no problem so far