What is the lens hood for ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

S11loop

Feb 11, 2005
Pasir Ris
the external hood that can be remove ... is it for protecting the lens from some glare ?? or what is it for does it helps in any way

thanks

yes, to shield from glare, just like a baseball cap

It also helps to protect the lens in the event when u bang your lens against a hard object. Just as cars need bumpers, so do lenses.

also make it harder for you to pack your camera bags!

heh..

nickmak said:
Also makes the lens aesthetically pleasing... IMO anyway... haha...

make the camera i am using looks more professional :bsmilie:
tho my skills are far from pro :embrass:

lens hood is for eating.. right garion?

Clown said:
lens hood is for eating.. right garion?

It's actually quite a handy tool for baking too. Makes a fantastic cutter for cookies. :bsmilie:

LOL all sorts of funny comment makes me feel like "hardwarezone eatdrinkmanwomen" forum hahaha ... agree it looks damn nice with it on dont know why , the first time i got my camera i dont know what is it for so i just leave it on

actually petal hood is hard to pack in bag due to its shape. and since its hard plastic, u wil lscared to crack the petals ;p

user111 said:
actually petal hood is hard to pack in bag due to its shape. and since its hard plastic, u wil lscared to crack the petals ;p

Most hoods can be reverse mounted for easy storage.

haha .. yeah lens hood to block glare from bright sun light when shooting outdoors ... but imo .. it makes your cam look ALOT cooler ... and ALOT more pro =P

Lens hood is my standard accessories, I rarely shoot without one.
It prevents flare, improve contrast & extra protection for the front element.

Talking about aesthetics...

The beauties are usually the medium range to telephoto petal/tulip type hoods.

The so-so ones are those circular type...
The oversize circular hood on EF 70-200 f/4 looks like toilet bowl suction cup. :p

The real uglies belongs to those ultra wide angles...They're also a pain to store.

Hello guys,

Yar man! Lens hood really makes my camera looks damn pro! And I love the way it feels when you point your camera at your subject and your subject is staring and get intimidated by the hood instead of looking into the lens. Ha ha ha ha.

But take note guys, remember to take it off when using flash photography because the hood will block off some lighting from the speedlight of the camera itself. Unless you are using external speedlight. :)

henavs said:
The so-so ones are those circular type...
The oversize circular hood on EF 70-200 f/4 looks like toilet bowl suction cup. :p

more like the ones to store the toliet brush or the toliet paper with! ;)

hey anyone know where to get those petal/tulip type hood ? for my minolta lens think is 55mm .... where can i get it and roughly how much

S11loop said:
hey anyone know where to get those petal/tulip type hood ? for my minolta lens think is 55mm .... where can i get it and roughly how much
screw on hoods are mostly non-petal. cuz petal hoods are lens specific.

you also use them to make perfect shape eggs :)

Status
Not open for further replies.