What is the Ideal Lense for take wedding photo(actual day)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonliou78

Jan 15, 2010
:confused:Anyone know what lense is suitable for taking wedding photo on actual day?

Heard Canon has a new "W" series of lenses designed specifically to shoot weddings.

They do everything, including :

Reliable metering even when too many white(dresses) or black(jackets) subjects are present
Super-fast USM for tracking of couple's movement
Perfect WB without color cast even when shooting in funny tungsten lighting

Maybe you'd like to check it out at Canon showroom

Last edited:
It depends on your shooting style. I will get a fast prime and a f2.8 zoom. Sometimes 85mm f1.2 and 16-35 f2.8. Other times 24mm f1.4 and 24-70 f2.8. 70-200mm f2.8 will be in my bag depending on the location i'm shooting in.

:confused:Anyone know what lense is suitable for taking wedding photo on actual day?
Any lens is suitable - but unless we know more about the shooting location, the conditions there or your personal preferences in style and outcome we can only guess. It's the same as asking "Which car is the best to bring the couple to ROM?" Some people use 10-22, other 17-50, 24-70, 50, 85, 70-200 ... take what you need for the situation. Also, your camera (crop body / FF) will also affect the lens selection.

The best lens is the lens you know how to use.

What is your current set up?

Actually, to be precise, no "lense" will work. None at all. Because there's no such thing as a "lense". ;)

Actually, to be precise, no "lense" will work. None at all. Because there's no such thing as a "lense". ;)

waah, is it a joke?

Anyway TS, are you the official photographer for the wedding?

A fast zoom would give you the widest options from low depth of field shots, portraits, record shots.

Some examples of such lenses :

Tamron 17-50/2.8
Sigma 18-50/2.8
Tamron 28-75/2.8
17-55/2.8
24-70/2.8

more importantly, learn how to use a lens well, even if it is your kit lens which already has the focal length mention above.

I agree use this 2 lense(17-50mm, f2.8 & 24-70mm,f/2.8) able me more creative for wedding photo taking.
Thank you for help.

Last edited:
What do you intend to shoot?

Without knowing what pictures you want to get, you won't be able to decide on any suitable lens.

any lens has its place. even a fisheye or a tiltshift.

the problem is, you will need to compromise between bringing all the lenses or using all the lenses and consider the fact that you will actually have problems switching constantly to get shots you want.

that said, doesn't mean you go and start buying 18-200 lens with teleconverter + wide angle adaptor + fisheye adaptor.

Zoom lenses will be most convenient because you want need to run back and forth to frame properly. And the last thing you want is to switch prime lenses when something important is going on. ;)

It's also best to have the wide and portraits aspect covered. Probably something from 28 to 70 and fast, just like what pinholecam said.

Don't think you will get a chance to use the 100-300 range unless it's outdoors or you like to shoot pimples on people's face. ;p

Most experienced wedding photographers will use 2 cameras, one with a wide angle/standard zoom such as a Canon 17-55 f/2.8 or a 17-40 f/4 or a prime such as a Canon 35 f/2 or similar, and another camera with a zoom such as a 70-200 or similar.

If you are supposed to be the main photographer... I suggest you'd better tell the couple to hire a real professional to shoot the AD instead of relying on you. You really don't want to take the responsibility of screwing up the couple's one-in-a-lifetime wedding photos until you have some experience as a backup photographer understudying the professionals for some time.

If you are going as a backup photographer, it doesn't really matter so much what lens... A fast 50mm or wider or a f/2.8 standard zoom are good choices if you have one of them.

Most professionals I see carry two bodies, one with a wide angle zoom lens, and the second one a fast normal or short telephoto lens.

Usually pro photographers would have two bodies and have a fast zoom (ie. 17-50) for those group shots and have an even faster prime (ie. 85/1.4) for those nicely cropped portraits :)

At least this configuration gets the most mention around here haha

Regards,
gibss.

I agree use this 2 lense(17-50mm, f2.8 & 24-70mm,f/2.8) able me more creative for wedding photo taking.
Thank you for help.

I think the general consensus is that you use EITHER the 17-55 DX or the 24-70, depending on which camera body you pair the lens with, and not use BOTH the 2 lenses.

btw, at least 2 posts have corrected your spelling, but you still use the term 'lense' wrongly. There's no such thing as a 'lense'

Status
Not open for further replies.