What is the highest iso to use in AD wedding photography?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brenton

Dec 29, 2005
Recently attempted my first shoot at Wedding AD.

Realised some of my photos are very grainy due to noise as i do not really have any fast lens. Can anyone share what is the highest iso that they use for acceptable IQ?

So other than buying fast lens and using flash, what are the other ways of avoiding photos with high noise level?

advice appreciated :)

It really depends on your camera. The latest generation sensors like the 5DmkII and D3x can produce very clean shots at even ISO3200+, and "acceptable" at 6400?

For a D70s, my guess is ISO800 for reasonably clean, 1000/1250 could be pushing the limits of what would be "acceptable".

What camera are you using?

The latest cameras can easily go up to ISO 3200 without any problems.

Still using a D70s....

hmmm so only way is to get a higher end body? or a faster lens??

I use 10D... and I max out the ISO ;)... occasionally.

Oh... I use Nikon D70... I try to keep to a max of ISO 800... Personally, I try not to go pass ISO 400, although I have hit ISO 1000 before...

Shot at ISO 1600 once, and never tried it again... Results were fairly horrid.

Still using a D70s....

hmmm so only way is to get a higher end body? or a faster lens??

Eventually you're going to need to upgrade the body. The D70s has been around for a while aready, and the newer generation sensors do give a perceptible difference in performance. Try a 50mm/1.4 for starters. It's not too expensive.

upgrade the body

i shot weddings with a d70 before. get a 50 1.8 and push your iso to the max, of course you need a flash and you need to get your exposure spot on. but other than that, theres no magic in getting nice pictures at iso1600 on a d70. the trick is the flash. and remember, if its going to end up in a 4r album i wouldnt worry about noise too much, dont believe, print it and you'd be surprised.

Thanks thanks, have to start saving up again for purchases liao :)

I feel that sometimes you have no choice but to use a high ISO.
The other alternative will be to use Neat image or Noise ninja and apply noise reduction

1 VERY important question...

wat is the requirement for the photos.. ?? Do they need it to be able to be developed into 8R?

If only 4R, then a lil noise is ok... it can't be seen. I've shot at noisy ISO 800 on my D200 and the noise can't be seen at all in the 4R prints.

So it's a matter of how much noise can be acceptable at which resolution you require.

Alternative method instead of investing in a new body or fast lens for now:-

1) Know the limits of your equipment, what lighting condition you can shoot at what ISO (the highest ISO that is acceptable to you that look 'noiseless')

2) Don't shoot when you know the lighting are beyond your equipment limitation.

Like that you have more keepers :)

Use a flash and shoot Manual. Set ISO 400-800. Should be fine. If all else failed, convert to B/W and called it art. ;p

Eventually you're going to need to upgrade the body. The D70s has been around for a while aready, and the newer generation sensors do give a perceptible difference in performance. Try a 50mm/1.4 for starters. It's not too expensive.

Am using a 50mm 1.8 now. Gonna get used to prime and know it inside out before moving on to 1.4 :)

i shot weddings with a d70 before. get a 50 1.8 and push your iso to the max, of course you need a flash and you need to get your exposure spot on. but other than that, theres no magic in getting nice pictures at iso1600 on a d70. the trick is the flash. and remember, if its going to end up in a 4r album i wouldnt worry about noise too much, dont believe, print it and you'd be surprised.

Hmm i hope it's just 4R then.....Thanks, must ask for requirement next time

wat is the requirement for the photos.. ?? Do they need it to be able to be developed into 8R?

If only 4R, then a lil noise is ok... it can't be seen. I've shot at noisy ISO 800 on my D200 and the noise can't be seen at all in the 4R prints.

So it's a matter of how much noise can be acceptable at which resolution you require.

Luckily for me, this time round, there's no expectation from the couple

Use a flash and shoot Manual. Set ISO 400-800. Should be fine. If all else failed, convert to B/W and called it art. ;p

AHahah I like this one! I gonna have some art i hope :p

Really depends on whether you're using noise reduction software, and what sort of noise you're dealing with. Chrominance noise seems to be easier to rid and with less loss of detail than luminance noise. In this sense this allows me to use the maximum ISO setting on the Canon 1Ds which is ISO 1250. Some people say this camera is very noisy, but personally I've found that with little reduction of chrominance noise and leaving the luminance noise alone, printing to S8R (8X12") is not an issue at all.

Hi zac, I've tried iso 800 on 40D and wif some pp, fotos look ok to me, but I havent tried in PRINT yet, so cannot really share comment wif ts. does any bros know the limit on a 40D in terms of max usable iso for 4r print?

On my 400D, I shoot ISO1600 very often. Sometimes, I even underexpose 1 stop and push up in post-processing to gain a better shutter speed. With LR2's noise-reduction system and me printing or posting online in small sizes, noise doesn't really irk me.

Hi zac, I've tried iso 800 on 40D and wif some pp, fotos look ok to me, but I havent tried in PRINT yet, so cannot really share comment wif ts. does any bros know the limit on a 40D in terms of max usable iso for 4r print?

Well, I can see noticeable noise in my pics at 100% crop, and at 4R, you can't see anything...

For a guage, look at them at approx 800 x 600 pixels, if you can't see much noise, it's ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.