What is the easiest way to achieve Bokeh using LX3

"bokeh" is like colour.
For example you see a withering tree, and the green leaves are not such a strong green colour. So you might make a comment "the colour of the leaves is quite pale", which is similar to a comment like "the bokeh is quite ugly"
You can't achieve colour, in the same way that you can't achieve bokeh. It's like... a property of the image.

:dunno: Not sure if i'm explaining it right. Someone help me! :)

quite incorrect.
Boke is the blur.
Boke-aji - is the type or quality of blur.

What is bokeh?
It's not even in meriam websters..
It's funny how people try to define it ...

Last edited:
WOW !! Gerald, for a moment there I thought you photoshop that fly into the photo, it look sureal ! cool... totally cool !

WOW !! Gerald, for a moment there I thought you photoshop that fly into the photo, it look sureal ! cool... totally cool !

Thx! :) The fly gave me about 15min and just moved around but not fly away. Thanks to the fly :bsmilie:

You can tell that I was very close to the fly because the DOF was pretty thin.

Use macro mode... go close to subject... :)

3723175164_8c0e7c4ef7.jpg

:thumbsup:

4873479069_fc1446b3a0.jpg

this is the most obedient bug i can find.. and still no fight with the above one. haha. nice one gerald

The macro mode only available in iA option?

this is the most obedient bug i can find.. and still no fight with the above one. haha. nice one gerald

It is amazing to me what the LX3 can do. When I got it, I tested it in many areas and found it a really good compact camera. It may not achieve great bokeh in portrait photos, but all in all, a great camera!

Anyway, here is one of my fave shots of my fly fren :bsmilie:

3723173668_a0efccf542.jpg

It is amazing to me what the LX3 can do. When I got it, I tested it in many areas and found it a really good compact camera. It may not achieve great bokeh in portrait photos, but all in all, a great camera!

Anyway, here is one of my fave shots of my fly fren :bsmilie:

3723173668_a0efccf542.jpg

Wow nice,.. did you do this with any Macro attachment / filters? e.g Raynox?

Just curious:
How close was the camera to the subject? And did you crop the image?

I was at the min focus distance. I switched to manual focus, went to min focus distance, then moved the camera to get the focus. After getting the pic, I cropped it to the pic that you see :)

I was at the min focus distance. I switched to manual focus, went to min focus distance, then moved the camera to get the focus. After getting the pic, I cropped it to the pic that you see :)

thanks for sharing. OK, i need to try to work with manual focusing.

ireallydontlikepink, I thought you have gotten yourself another equipment liao? the D80? already saw some of your pics, Kekekeke

anyway, Gerald pic was awesome, I still can't believe why that fly so obedient, must be a camwhoring fly, at home I wanna swat one also so hard, just move my hands they fly liao ! :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

ireallydontlikepink, I thought you have gotten yourself another equipment liao? the D80? already saw some of your pics, Kekekeke

anyway, Gerald pic was awesome, I still can't believe why that fly so obedient, must be a camwhoring fly, at home I wanna swat one also so hard, just move my hands they fly liao ! :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

u can try on other things first lah ... till u get the tactic then test on the fly.
else u make the fly die first? kidding
I still using LX3 lah! :>

inspired by gerald's pic ..

4802315342_24d487a2f2_z_01_01.jpg

Testing for Frontal Bokeh

4874383867_a6a9bf81c3_z.jpg

Testing for back Bokeh