what is the difference?

denniskee

Oct 26, 2003
bukit batok
Visit site
when doing photo editing, there is vibrancy & saturation, but i dont understand the difference between them.

pls help me to understand in layman's term.

thanks.

hi dennis,

adobe itself has thought about this.

here is a link where you can find out what the difference is:

http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/lightroom/articles/lir1at_vibrance_02.html

Both the Vibrance and Saturation sliders can be used to boost the saturation in an image. The difference between the two is that whereas the Saturation slider applies a linear adjustment to the color saturation, a Vibrance adjustment uses a non-linear approach. In plain English, this means that when you apply a Vibrance adjustment, the less saturated colors will get more of a saturation boost than those colors that are already saturated. This can be of real practical benefit when applying a saturation adjustment to a picture where you want to make the softer colors look brighter, but don’t want to brighten them at the expense of losing important detail in the already bright colors. In the Figure 1 example, I have demonstrated how a Saturation boost can easily damage the color information in an image. The other benefit of working with Vibrance is that it has a built-in skin color protector that should filter out colors that fall within the skin color range. This can be useful if you are editing a portrait and you want to boost the color of someone’s clothing, but at the same time, you don’t want to over-saturate their skin tones.

this is for lightroom 1.0, but from observations of what i have seen thereafter, it seems to work in the same logic.

hope this helps.

does that means vibrancy works better than saturation in all situations? did i understand it correctly?

does that means vibrancy works better than saturation in all situations? did i understand it correctly?
if you clicked on the link and read on.....

On the whole, I would suggest that Vibrance is the only saturation control you ever really need. However, the Saturation control remains useful still. As you can see in Figure 2, a Saturation adjustment is useful for making big shifts to the saturation, such as when you want to dramatically subdue the colors in a photograph.
this means that for desat effect, naturally saturation will be more useful than vibrance.

from my experience, vibrance does saturation in a more "natural" way than saturation.

i am not sure if you understood what they meant, but the gist i get is that saturation increases everything by the same amount. vibrance saturates the photograph, but does so nonlinearly, specifically.... at higher levels of saturation present, it will not saturate as much as it would at lower levels of saturation.

but there are always examples where strong saturation works, right? i'm sure you have seen it before. it depends on your preferences and what you want out of your photograph. :)

I find in most cases, it does work better but as Nite86mare pointed out, there are cases where you may want to adjust saturation.

"In plain English, this means that when you apply a Vibrance adjustment, the less saturated colors will get more of a saturation boost than those colors that are already saturated."
http://www.adobe.com/designcenter/lightroom/articles/lir1at_vibrance_02.html

Saturation does it a wholesale approach- soft saturation becomes saturated while already saturated colours become oversaturated...linear increase

Vibrancy brings out those soft saturated colours and make the colours more wholesome...non-linear/non-wholesale approach ;p

anyway, vibrancy always works for me...I use saturation slider to de-saturate only:bsmilie:

this is late .... but thanks for the clarification.... had me stumped too

One question.. does CS2 has vibrancy adjustment control? can't seems to find it.. only have saturation..

If CS2 doesn't have, anyway to get the same effect as vibrancy?

Last edited: