What is the difference between TTL and i-TTL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeefeSNAP

Feb 22, 2007

If I don't intend to use multiple flashes for creative lighting system I don't need i-TTL function?

i-TTL is the standard TTL mode for the newer Nikon DSLRs. Most Nikon DSLRs uses only i-TTL, with exception with the D2 series which are compatible with the older D-TTL.

i-TTL is used to help the camera achieve correct flash exposure. It has nothing to do with multiple flashes.

BC

If I don't intend to use multiple flashes for creative lighting system I don't need i-TTL function?

TTL uses a sensor at the bottom of the mirror box in film cameras to detect the amount of light from the flash hitting the film. For digital, because the sensor is rather dark coloured and glossy, the amount of light could not be scattered to where the sensor is supposed to be in film cameras, so a new system of detection has to be used instead. D-TTL and later i-TTL use the normal metering sensors in the prism to read a preflash before the actual shot is taken.

And how intelligent, trust me... it's good...

I can shoot at night and still get spot on exposures... :thumbsup:

I am a newbie just got a D40.
Is it ok for me to buy old obsolute Nikon Flash like SB28DX ...
thanks for your advice

I am a newbie just got a D40.
Is it ok for me to buy old obsolute Nikon Flash like SB28DX ...
thanks for your advice

Since you're a newbie, buying older models flash will require some manual settings for some shooting modes. I suggest buy SB-600 or SB-800 which will suit you better.

Apart from SB600/800, you can go for the SB400 too, compact and balanced on the D40/x.

Status
Not open for further replies.