What is the difference between out-of-focus and bokeh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahathir

Jul 31, 2008
Eastern Side, Tampines
www.flickr.com
Greetings fellow clubsnappers,

One of my favourite lens is the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II. It is quite sharp and able to produce a blur background with a sharp subject. My question what is "out-of-focus" or OOF and what is Bokeh? What is the difference between the two, if any?

Cheers

Mahathir

Last edited:
Out-of-focus

Refers to an image created when the rays of light passing through a lens fall upon a plane in front of or beyond the point at which they converge to form a sharp image. Out-of-focus images appear blurred or fuzzy.

One of my favourite lens is the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 Mk II. It is quite sharp and able to produce a blur background with a sharp subject. My question what is "out-of-focus" or OOF and what is Bokeh? What is the difference between the two, if any?

Cheers

Mahathir
Try THIS here...
was it so hard? :bigeyes:

Cheers

Mahathir

In summary,

"Essentially, bokeh is an aesthetic and qualitative measure of light distortion in the out-of-focus areas of an image, and is primarily caused by lens aberrations and aperture shape."

taken from the Wikipedia document.
OOF just means that the object is not sharp. Bokeh is referring to how the "not sharp" object is rendered.
My understanding of bokeh is that it cannot be quantified. People describe bokeh with terms such as "pleasing", or "smooth", or "creamy".

bokeh is oof area lor..

but bokeh more specific lor.. bokeh refers to the "quality of oof".. there is pleasing bokeh, and not so pleasing bokeh. bokeh lovers usually based this on how "smooth or creamy" bokeh is.. this has to do with number of blades the lens has.

to me, all look the same.. just don't too obiang can already. or maybe all my lenses all nice bokeh, don't know leh.

Am I right both are due to imperfection of a lens, that is, failure to form image on the same plane?

Am I right both are due to imperfection of a lens, that is, failure to form image on the same plane?

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: i would rather put it as "imperfection" of physics such that all the light from all the planes can not be focussed at any given area, only one plane will be in focus...rest will not be hence the term "Out Of Focus"

can you even care to read whats posted in other threads and "google" on this topic...

simple.

out of focus - everything blur.
bokeh - only background blur (technically not true.. but wat the heck)

simple.

out of focus - everything blur.
bokeh - only background blur (technically not true.. but wat the heck)

bokeh also = blur...

but simply said... probably some english teacher wanna say, 1 is adjective, 1 is noun, whichever... i'll say, both referring to different thing.

OOF = a complete image, none of it is in focus, hence everything OOF, or in some case, focus on the wrong thing... like suppose to focus on eyes, go focus on teeth.

bokeh = part of an image, aka the blurred off part. bokeh is just in another language for the meaning of 'blur'

One is welcomed.

The other is frowned upon (unless it's art).

Sorry to be out of topic.

@Mahathir:
In your sig, there's a 10-250mm EFS? I just know Canon has 10-250... or is it a typo. I dont even know Canon has 18-250...

Sorry to be out of topic.

@Mahathir:
In your sig, there's a 10-250mm EFS? I just know Canon has 10-250... or is it a typo. I dont even know Canon has 18-250...

There is this thing called "private message".

OOF is when things are not in focus. Bokeh is the quality of the OOF effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.