what is the difference between Gary Fong's Lightsphere and Stofen Omnibounce

Status
Not open for further replies.

freecloud

Dec 9, 2005
What are the advantages and disadvantages of them?

In what situation, Lightsphere is more suitable? and the same question for Stofen Omnibounce?

Which one has less light loss and can achieve longer shooting distance?

Thanks!

freecloud said:

In what situation, Lightsphere is more suitable? and the same question for Stofen Omnibounce?

Thanks!

I'm not very well versed in this but i think lightsphere is better in producing a more well-diffused light effect and able to spread out the light wider than omnibounce.

Omnibounce is gd for just softening the intensity of the flash.

In fact i've seen lightspheres sold in 2 forms. One is the transparent one and another is the translucent one like the omnibouce. Of cos translucent materials have greater light loss but produce a nicer effect.

litesphere does bounce flash well but is hopeless in direct flash(not to mention it being bulky)

stofen is less sweet when bouncing but handles direct flash well

litesphere is twice the price of stofen

The difference is about $20-30.

Oh, and a $4 plastic bounce card will do almost the same job. Almost. Only you would be able to tell the difference, and if anyone were to criticise your shots with a bounce card, you will feel less irritated than if you used a LS and ppl still criticise your flash shots.

Hehehe.

That said, i have a bounce card and a LS. the new one. YES. I feel cheated having bought it.

Dunnomuch said:

Oh, and a $4 plastic bounce card will do almost the same job. Almost. Only you would be able to tell the difference, and if anyone were to criticise your shots with a bounce card, you will feel less irritated than if you used a LS and ppl still criticise your flash shots.

Hehehe.

That said, i have a bounce card and a LS. the new one. YES. I feel cheated having bought it.

ha... u can say that again, try at home... not much difference... havent try at hotel, other situation, might have an different effect... if not the money spent is ha...:confused:

Dunnomuch said:

Hehehe.

U mean the new LS II?? I once thought of buying LS II also but gave up the idea.

Bounce card wise i DIY....effects are relatively gd as it spreads out the flash wider.

up to your creativity...haha. i just direct it and i get this circular light halo thingie..haha!

doug3fflux said:
up to your creativity...haha. i just direct it and i get this circular light halo thingie..haha!

But of cos not all shots can have this 'halo' thingy, as it'll look weird haha

freecloud said:

Thanks!
Whatever device you use, must learn how to use it properly, know it limitation, no one gadget fix all solution.

I use LS classic and PJ to shoot weddings, LS classic or PJ are not magical devices, it do have some limitations.

You can't really tell the difference between the two unless you try both of them yourself, but if you still can't tell the difference effect apart from a LS and a Omnibounce, you should settle on Omnibounce.

Seriously, besides paid shoots, how many of you can tahan using the LSPJ II in public.

Its big and ugly as a tumour

topster said:
Seriously, besides paid shoots, how many of you can tahan using the LSPJ II in public.

second that! many kind 'queries' presented by friends and clients......:sweatsm:

topster said:

sorry, for me no pay no shoot. :bsmilie:

anyway, it depend on you, picture more important or your appearance as a photographer.

topster said:

On the contrary, I've had wedding guests coming up to me telling me how pro it looks. :bsmilie:

Well ego stroking aside, I personally feel it looks silly rather than pro. But what's most important to me is using the right tool for the right job. If I look stupid, and the tool does the job the way I want, so be it.

Thank all your guys.

I now have a lightsphere. It is big which is very troublesome to bring it with me.

Shall I buy an omnibounce?

I have never used flashes before

freecloud said:
Thank all your guys.

I now have a lightsphere. It is big which is very troublesome to bring it with me.

U'll need flash on nearly every kind of photography, whether in daylight or night. The omnibounce is very gd and diffuses light relatively well too. You should buy one and see for yourself. :)

freecloud said:
Thank all your guys.

I suggest you BORROW one first before deciding. Then again, its up to you. My philosophy is always to save $$.

But based on what you say I guess you'll probably favour an omni since size is an issue to you.

i kinda regret getting the LS, hard to fit in my cramped bag. its pi r sq now became length x breadth. also it can only be used for bounce flash unlike the stofen which is very apt at direct flash as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.