What is the difference between AFS and AFC focusing modes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildcat

Sep 8, 2004
Bedok
Trying to figure out what is the difference between AFS (auto-focus single shot) and AFC (auto-focus continuous). Perhaps a good example is what happens when we do a single point focus, and the subject is moving towards/away from you. What about multiple point focus?

What's written in your manual? What's missing there?
Single - one focusing is done and that's it. No correction if the object or the camera moves.
Continuous - permanent focus and recheck, predicting the focus based on object movements.
Whether it is done using all focus points or only a single one depends on your settings (single AF point or multiple AF points) and what your camera can support.
For accurate focus you might want to use single AF point. Your camera cannot read your mind to see what is your main object. Multiple moving objects might cause the focus point to be shifted away from your main object.

AF-S auto-focus setting good for stationary object focusing, including human posing shots, Usually result in accurate focusing as there is nothing (inlcuding moving speed direction) to distract the camera.

AF-C auto-docus setting good for sports or action shots where person or object moves continuously.

but what if i am using Nikon D60 and a sigma lens.. when i choose AFS it will auto focus but AFC it will not auto focus.. is there something missing there??:(

but what if i am using Nikon D60 and a sigma lens.. when i choose AFS it will auto focus but AFC it will not auto focus.. is there something missing there??:(

What makes you think it doesn't auto focus?
For Canon, in AI Servo mode (equivalent to AFC in Nikon) there is no AF confirmation, simply because the camera is permanently focusing and tracking. Check with your manual whether Nikon works the same way.

in case you still dun understand what is AF-Confirmation, if you dont hear a BEEP after it focus, it doesnt mean it is NOT auto-focusing.

Okay thanks a lot. Got it.

does this apply for the RTFM response? :think:

Peace! :angel:

Last edited:
i am afraid i might have to say this.. YES, RTFM ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.