What is the difference between a DSLR shutter and a PnS shutter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zephirum

Mar 29, 2004
AFAIK PnS camera has no "real" shutter, am i right? So there is not such thing as shutter break down in PnS camera.

AFAIK PnS camera has no "real" shutter, am i right? So there is not such thing as shutter break down in PnS camera.
bingo! but chance of LCD/CCD break down is higher. :bsmilie:

huh? really meh PnS no real shutter?
i tot only those handphone camera then no shutter?
any links for further reading?

cheers!

Hi There,

Not sure where you got this info from. Well, both PNS and SLR(DSLR) have mechanical shutters. You'll be surprise that some actually have shutters and apertures too.

Some of these shutters in the PNS can be as simple as a two leaf shutters or just a single leaf type. Some even use shutter systems made by copal - maker of the SLR shutter system.

The Shutters are neccessary to block the light from the CCD as the image is "flushed" out of the Imager (CCD/CMOS etc..)

So there are also failures of PNS camera shutters as these shutters are similarly driven by hardware like solenoids.

Some PNS and even handphone cams have build in ND (neutral density filters) that are solenoid actuated to function as light cutters to act like a stop down to cut light for bright scenes. Like the Zeiss Tessar used on the N73, you can see the ND filter in action if you point the camera on the back to strong light source. Just wave the palm over the lens to block the light and you can see the ND filter toggles itself.

Hi There,

Not sure where you got this info from. Well, both PNS and SLR(DSLR) have mechanical shutters. You'll be surprise that some actually have shutters and apertures too.

Some of these shutters in the PNS can be as simple as a two leaf shutters or just a single leaf type. Some even use shutter systems made by copal - maker of the SLR shutter system.

The Shutters are neccessary to block the light from the CCD as the image is "flushed" out of the Imager (CCD/CMOS etc..)

So there are also failures of PNS camera shutters as these shutters are similarly driven by hardware like solenoids.

Some PNS and even handphone cams have build in ND (neutral density filters) that are solenoid actuated to function as light cutters to act like a stop down to cut light for bright scenes. Like the Zeiss Tessar used on the N73, you can see the ND filter in action if you point the camera on the back to strong light source. Just wave the palm over the lens to block the light and you can see the ND filter toggles itself.

This is not to challenge your knowledge, I have no knowledge whether P&S has shutters or not, but from derevation, how can P&S has shutter if we are able to have live view of image on the LCD?:think: I guess it should only be digital shutter, because for most P&S ,we can select silence mode, you totally don't hear a single sound at all, if there is mechanical shutter, it will be very hard to make it totally silence, right? Just my guess from my low IQ.

This is not to challenge your knowledge, I have no knowledge whether P&S has shutters or not, but from derevation, how can P&S has shutter if we are able to have live view of image on the LCD?:think: I guess it should only be digital shutter, because for most P&S ,we can select silence mode, you totally don't hear a single sound at all, if there is mechanical shutter, it will be very hard to make it totally silence, right? Just my guess from my low IQ.

Was testing the P&S camera (set to no shutter sound in the setup Menu, put the cam next to my ear and took some shots), realized that there is a black out period and shutter fliping sound, looks like you are correct, there is mechanical shutter also in the P&S camera.

i think the shutter is actually wide open during live preview....
when the shutter button is pressed, then the shutter is closed, open to the calculated aperture and closed again to capture the photo

looking through the len of my pns... can see the shutter open and close :)

Hi Poh...

Alamak...why make it like a quiz lah. The shutter only close afyer the shot is captured.
As i mention about having to flush the image out of the imager. You will be surprise how silent or noisy (both ends of the extreme) the shutter can get ...;)

Status
Not open for further replies.