What is the differ btw DX and FX body?

shottobefun

Jan 20, 2011
Hi guys, can u explain what is the different between DX and fx body? How to select the perfect lens?

errr.. firstly u can google the difference and u will find more indepth answers... to sum up, the sensor is diff...

as for the perfect lens well, there's only lens that suit u perfectly....

Hi guys, can u explain what is the different between DX and fx body? How to select the perfect lens?

Like akerue said, googling will get you lots of info on FX and DX. Haha if there's a perfect lens, the manufacturers need not produce so many lenses, only make the perfect one will do cos nobody will buy the rest. What lens to use is all about the situation, no lens is perfect for all occasions.

There's no perfect lens, each lens has their own strengths.

In summary though, FX bodies utilize the entire lens whereas DX bodies utilize just the center 'sweet spot'. As of such, DX cameras have a crop factor, for Nikons its 1.5x(for Canon, its 1.6x. Canon 1D is 1.3x though)

For a more technical explanation on the DX format, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APS-C

Last edited:
I am also waiting for the perfect lens as well, 12mm-200mm F1.4 that is smaller than the 24-70 and cheaper than $1k. ;)

In short... Fx = big sensor (equivalent to 35mm film), Dx = smaller sensor (for Nikon, 1.5 times smaller). As for the perfect lens - depends on what you are trying to shoot or achieve in the photograph, which, in almost everyone's opinion here, you still have a long way to go in getting to that point. Best to start researching on the basics first - like Dx versus Fx sensors or crop versus full frame, etc, etc.

I am also waiting for the perfect lens as well, 12mm-200mm F1.4 that is smaller than the 24-70 and cheaper than $1k. ;)

I'm waiting for the 12mm - 1500mm F 1.39 they are going to launch as that len's successor. I hear it comes premounted on a truck. :p

I'm waiting for the 12mm - 1500mm F 1.39 they are going to launch as that len's successor. I hear it comes premounted on a truck. :p

And the truck comes with the lens as a standard accessory. :p

maybe 12-300? and F1.4, built-in filters of all sorts, size as small as a 50mm 1.8D, internal focusing, VR mode, PC while allowing the user to choose whether s/he wants the PC to affect the lens composition, able to switch to macro mode, hm... maybe built-in speedlight?

Your dream lens... Does not comes with a truck though....
Nikkor-PC-E-Micro-Fisheye-10.5-600mm-f4-ED-VRII-lens.jpeg