What is the correct way to store negatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S40

Jan 22, 2003
Bt Panjang
Visit site
Hi guys,

I was trying to scan a negative that was taken one and a half years back, when I realise that certain part of the negatives is "sticking" to the plastic(...hmm ...what do you call that?)

When I remove the negative, can see that the sticking has caused certain dulling of the negative. What can be done to rectify it?

MY friend has told me that to preserve the negatives, you got to store it in the fridge. Is that true? Does using a dry cabinet helps?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,
you can buy a ring file 1st, then get yurself some acid free neg sheets then store them in a electric dry cabinet. those neg sheets will most probably have university holes to fit most files. that's what i do lah...

BTW, i store all my un-used films in the fridge loh, when i want to use them tomorrow, i thaw them tonite.

But how to rectify the problem with the negatives? Now a lot of them got dull surface problem...

Eh not sure if you wanna try???me use alchohol on my B/W negs formerly.but i did a switch to paper neg sheets then voila,all perfect.wa liao eh,slotting those negs is not easy ah!!imagin 100 over rolls----->not enough sleep........

S40 said:
But how to rectify the problem with the negatives? Now a lot of them got dull surface problem...

1. Send out the 'dull' negs for a test print. A more skillful lab may be able to get a good print out of it still. Decide if the picture quality is still acceptable despite the dulling. May not be a problem as long as the picture is still 'more or less' there. Then proceed to upgrade your storage system as andy suggested.

2. Alternatively, send for high resolution digitizing, or buy a film scanner and do yourself. Just do it for the more important pictures. Scanning is very money/time intensive.

When I scan the films, the marks are definitely visible. Have already send all my affected negatives to my regular shop for rectifying. She say it is due to the humidity. Gosh....negatives more than 6 months old are mostly affected.... think gotta store in a proper cabinet liao...

Thanks guys!

Hi S40

Could you share how much it costs - per frame/ per entire roll?

Mine are scratched, but picture quality deteriorates - yellow spots here & there on the pic

Hmm....I dunno whether I'll be charged for cleaning the negatives.... ;) 'cos I send all my negatives to be processed by them so dunno whether it'll be free...

BTW, mine's not yellowish. It's just that water spots have appear on the negatives. Think becos I store inside my bedroom where at night it's aircon all the way, and daytime it's room temperature.

Maybe u can bring your negatives to any print shops and check with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.