What is the correct exposure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jodie_tan

May 19, 2004
Yishun
www.insing.com
Not a newbie here...but just to clarify some doubts...
I've been shooting on "M" mode for long and i noticed that i'm comfortable with it...coz i'm using my dslr ;)
However, when I go back to shooting film...that confidence is no longer there. When the shots comes out...to my dismay, they're either under or over, though the metering on my camera is right.How to rectify this mistake?
Any experts here?

it helps to memorise roughly some of the typical exposure values for the typical settings eg low light glam event - ISO 500, f2.8, 1/60, pub - ISO 500, f2.8, 1/15, at the beach ISO 200 f5.6 1/2000, etc etc. from there on u will be off by plus/minus one stop which is quite ok already

you must know what metering mode you are using in your film SLR, be it evaluative, spot, or whatever. then you must know where you are focusing, or metering. and you must also know about the surrondings. is there any reflective surfaces around that will fool your meter, etc.

jodie_tan said:
I've been shooting on "M" mode for long and i noticed that i'm comfortable with it...coz i'm using my dslr ;)
However, when I go back to shooting film...that confidence is no longer there. When the shots comes out...to my dismay, they're either under or over, though the metering on my camera is right

If you're shooting on negative film, you should have huge exposure latitude, especially when compared to the DSLR. If you're DSLR pictures are ok and the film pictures are not, I would suspect a technical problem with the camera and/or exposure meter.

Also, are you sure it's not a user error? For example, one of my film bodies displays only the metered exposure time in the viewfinder, not the one that has actually been selected.

Do you happen to shot negative or slide? I am not sure what you shoot, but from all I know here are some recommendations.

Slide:
1. Velvia 50 @ ISO 50, 40 or even 25
2. Velvia 100F @ ISO 100 or 80
3. Provia 100F @ 100 or 125

Negative:
1. NPH 400 @ 320 or 250
2. NPZ 800 @ 640

My idea here is actually to tell you different film will give you different exposure relative to the rated ISO. Apart from that, you must know the scene and the among of exposure difference in extreme terms. Of course if you are shooting fast that will come with practise.

As the metering system is calibrated to the 18% grey zone, using spot/partial metering against a normal Chinese guy that is not fair or too dark toned like Gu Tian Le you do not need compensation. But if you meter against an Indian wearing a white shirt you will need to reduce the exposure by 1/2 or 1/3 stop or else the white shirt will be overexposed.

Note:
I have not racist and just using shots from Little India outing which I really like for a real life comparison in case someone slam me for comparing colour.

Status
Not open for further replies.