What is the closest P&S camera to DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfstan

May 31, 2005
Earth
hi all

after browsing and looking through the forum on beginner DSLR. Many advise to try on P&S camera (with expansion capability) before plunging into DSLR.

ok, so what is the closest P&S camera for a newbie to get before investing on DSLR? Canon G6 or its rivals?

please share some thoughts... thx

powershot pro1 ! featuring L lens after u try it be ready to be get infected by the L virus

dfstan said:
hi all

after browsing and looking through the forum on beginner DSLR. Many advise to try on P&S camera (with expansion capability) before plunging into DSLR.

ok, so what is the closest P&S camera for a newbie to get before investing on DSLR? Canon G6 or its rivals?

I suggest you take a look at the few prosumer models <$1000. IMO, the best 2 in the market now are the Olympus C7070WZ and the Canon G6.

Both have fantastic image quality that bests most of the 8MP prosumer digicams, low image noise at low ISO, very fast in operation and nice tilt and swivel LCD. Main difference between the 2 is that Canon's lens is faster/brighter but widest only at 35mm eq field of view. The Olympus gets my vote for its slower but much wider and thus more versatile 27mm wide angle fov.

>$1000 such as the Pro1 you might as well buy a DSLR.

Sony Cybershot F828?

Think no prosumer digicam can come close to dSLR lar....due to very noisy at high ISO and limited flexibility/versatility due to fixed lens system.

try a minolta, Z4 or other minolta models.... quite happy with the cam.... got stuck with one during a shooting assigment, its not too bad. compared to bad expirences with the F828(sorry Garion).

Value for money wise, the minolta cams wld be cheaper than the Sony i think.
If not try a G3 second hand, still my personal fav from the Gseries.

If you need samples I can pass u the link to the webshots ablum posted by the organizer..

IMHO,
If you know u are going to DSLR, get one straight away. If not start with a film SLR, but thats me... If you wanna get used to it, den its more of the apature values and shutter speeds to play with. To me DSLRs and SLRs are so Auto these days... So maybe a cheaper camera to try out these features(A85/95) and spend more :sweat: on the up comming DSLR. Good luck!

any digicam cam with some manual controls...

So that to gauge whether you like to learn about aperture/shutter/iso and exposure compensation.

Even the canon A series like a75/85/95 is a good start.

dfstan said:
hi all

In terms of manual control features, most mid-range P&S onwards are a good start. But as for performance wise, there is still alot to desire.

sony f828

leica digilux 2
Provided you have the cash and like the antique feel. Leica SLRs are a breed different. :sticktong

Try Konica Minolta A200
comes with Aniti Shake
Manual Ring Zoon x7
8 Meg

dfstan said:
hi all

I suggest you start off with 350D or D70s. Once you use DSLR, you will hardly go back to P&S. SLR have more realistic camera controls compare to P&S.

If I will have to choose, FZ20 will be my choice.

Any Prosumer Cam that is almost equal to a DSLR would not be worth your money you will pay for. As normally those high ends are above $1000-$1400 range.

Same question as mine few days ago :sweatsm:

I got my FZ20 finally, a second hand of course.

The closest digital camera to a DSLR is the (Konica) Minolta Dimage A1 or A2.. They have a good zoom range and relatively bright lense. Both are also capable of TTL flash control and high-speed sync flash.
Also, they have a mechanical zoom much like (D)SLR lenses and manual focus control rings.
In addition to that, both cameras have 2 dials for setting aperture and shutter speed settings seperately as a DSLR would have.
The A200 only has one dial and isn't capable of wireless flash and high speed sync.
The Leica Digilux 2 (Panasonic LC-1) has full manual controls laid out just like a manual film SLR body and so it's not close to the handling of a DSLR body.

Definately the Minolta A2 plus it's viewfinder (EVF) is one of the best if not the best. Also the lens stops down less then a stop from widest (28 mm) to 200mm.

The current model the A200 is a cut down version of the A2 with a poorer viewfinder and one thumbwheel etc like shorter batter life and no option to use a battery grip (ie even longer shooting time)

hmmm... how come no one ask.... what sort of pic are u taking?

And what are you think about in P&S vs DSLR?

Or are you taking a step into digital photography and need to start off the learning curve?

Firstly, there are certain type of photography the D/SLRs are much more suited that it'll make you bald tryin to capture similar pics with a P&S.

Secondly, the controls are totally different in P&S and DSLRs, while you may get the same P,S,A,M function.. accessing it is plenty different... there's also a lot of difference in prespective and DOF between the 2.

Lastly, DSLR pics need some post processing...

thanks every1. decided to get G6 for now and get a second-hand DSLR body. then shall go from there. G6 + 512CF = $990, good buy? u think?

dfstan said:
thanks every1. decided to get G6 for now and get a second-hand DSLR body. then shall go from there. G6 + 512CF = $990, good buy? u think?

well if for convenient sake, yes i would say this would be a ok buy.

if u want to explore your skills to another level, my suggestion would be second hand DSLR which will cost about $1200-$1300 (D70 with 18-70mm kit lens). Unless it's out of your budget, a G6 + 512 @ $990 is a good bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.