What is the cheap cam were you using when police stopped you

Status
Not open for further replies.

tankahn

Aug 12, 2004
For me it was my Olympus $250 p&s camera.

2 plainclothes detective flashed their ID at me and ask to see the photos I just took. The camera was hanging from my neck and I was at a HDB carpark shooting randomnly - lamposts, streets lightings, signboards checking how to achieve best exposure in poor lighting. Damn toolan. Don't know how they differentiate suspicious and nutty behavior. What are they thinking. :dunno:

not bad huh at least this shows how good the security is :)
Which area were u stopped?

tankahn said:

2 plainclothes detective flashed their ID at me and ask to see the photos I just took. The camera was hanging from my neck and I was at a HDB carpark shooting randomnly - lamposts, streets lightings, signboards checking how to achieve best exposure in poor lighting. Damn toolan. Don't know how they differentiate suspicious and nutty behavior. What are they thinking. :dunno:
The more important question is, what happened next?

If they are not very nasty when asking to show them your pictures then it ok, i think.
Acturally can't blame them lar, not much people will do shooting at a HDB carpark. Maybe is the people around the place call up the police??
I think if you are taking pictures of a cats or dogs in there then I don't they will check on you but randomly might just let them think u are "planning" for something....

i think they just interested to see what pictures you took... since they police might as well do it with more 'style'
sekali they are also clubsnappers :bsmilie:

tankahn said:

If you don't call shooting at lamposts, street lightings, signboards a "suspicious and nutty behaviour", then what is it? :sweatsm:

benedium said:
i think they just interested to see what pictures you took... since they police might as well do it with more 'style'
sekali they are also clubsnappers :bsmilie:
also known as "kaypo".

Hahahah, frankly, think they'll stop ppl with point and shoot more than people with big momma DSLR/SLR setups. (especially someone who hangs around in a multi-storey carpark and shooting at everything)

Simple film compacts are still the best for these work if you ask me. They may not win you awards (but people with P&S had), but they are fast, stealthy and film are more tolerant of exposure errors. You'll be surprised at how much details and info you can get from a $50 non-zooming auto film compact.

And think about this, They'll rather stop a few thousand innocents shooting at sign boards or a few hundred clubsnappers than to let one loon get away with "planning" something.

i remember a thread whereby someone complained about being approached by the police when using an SLR and that some ppl suggested that evil-doers are more likely to use small p&s cameras than SLRs...

Maybe the police read that...

i didn get stopped b4,
but a fren of mine did...
he and his fren had their slr/dslr and 2 tripods...
they wear singlets and slippers etc...

and police stopped them ask them to check ic... *sweat*

fuzzy said:
i remember a thread whereby someone complained about being approached by the police when using an SLR and that some ppl suggested that evil-doers are more likely to use small p&s cameras than SLRs...

Maybe the police read that...

They are logging on CS because they get a bit bored sitting in the police station with nothing to do.

Check IC only mah, if you walk around orchard road enuff at night, you'll get your IC checked plenty of times, especially at the alleys between buildings etc. Back when I worked at a cafe, I see them all the time after work...

Flare said:
Check IC only mah, if you walk around orchard road enuff at night, you'll get your IC checked plenty of times, especially at the alleys between buildings etc. Back when I worked at a cafe, I see them all the time after work...

I think it's a good idea that CS could issue us with photographer ID cards so that the police won't suspect us as people with "suspicious and nutty behaviour".

Sion said:
I think it's a good idea that CS could issue us with photographer ID cards so that the police won't suspect us as people with "suspicious and nutty behaviour".

then with out passes, the next time we see any plain clothes fellow walking ard us, we can flash our passes and ask them for IDENTIFICATION!! VICE VERSA! :bsmilie:

Sion said:

issue photographer ID cards? .. lolz ... then who gets em? .. every cs-er? .. or those with 10k+ posts? .. .or something ... cannot lah ... later some new guy come .. spam 10k times .. then go get ID and go shoot and plan something ... den later police go around rounding up all the CS-ers :dunno:

Expiredyoghurt said:
issue photographer ID cards? .. lolz ... then who gets em? .. every cs-er? .. or those with 10k+ posts? .. .or something ... cannot lah ... later some new guy come .. spam 10k times .. then go get ID and go shoot and plan something ... den later police go around rounding up all the CS-ers :dunno:

I was about to say that...

Anyway, they are doing their job and we are shooting our frames. If you are innocent, not giving any problems and at the same time they weren't rude and didn't give any problems, I think it's fine. At least you didn't end up in a station like some other photogs, i hope. We are fortunate that in Singapore, it's not catch-back-to-station-and-tok-later like some other places...

Aiyah, show IC only, not seize ur camera and suggest dat u follow them back to the NPC or Cantoment Complex for investigation wad?

Juz show them. If u're innocent, u'll be. If u're not, den u'll not be.

No big deal. All these terrorist thing around will make security personnel a little jumpy.

Status
Not open for further replies.