what is the biggest print size possible with 5Mpix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

normanlai

Jul 8, 2003
Visit site
Just to ask, may i know how big can i print a 5mpix pic?

the size i'm looking foward to is actually S10R or super 10R. have some shots of my proudest macro i want to frame up for my room.

wondering if it would be possible, instead of printing, and end up waste $10 ++ on a pixelated picture.

if it can go more than S10R, kindly tell me the biggest attempted.

i would appreciate it if people with real experience could tell me, and not speculate.

thank you all very much.

If they are your proudest macro shots, go ahead and get them printed. i assume the picture was properly exposed and well executed.

i print 6.3mpix at A3 on regular basis. That's about 16.5x11, or 16R. That's about 1.9x the area of the S10R you need;if i crop to S10R, it will be a 3.3mpix picture. 5mpix should be no problem.

Can show you my prints you want to check for yourself and if live in Bedok. Drop a PM.

2mp gone to 12R (12x16) before. 3.3mp gone to PVC banner. Go figure.
However, larger sized frames will cost you. Esp if you want very good ones, not the Carrefour types.
Maybe you'll even want to print on Lambda. That will be photograph, not inkjets. And it can go up to 40"x70" (if remember correctly).

Conservatively, the lowest DPI you should go is 150dpi to ensure good quality. But of cos there are people here who have went even much lower.

Just open up Photoshop. Create a new document, set the resolution to 150dpi. And the pixel in length and breadth according to what a 5 mp image should be. It will auto give you the measurement in cm or inches.

hey thanks a lot guys. i didn't know that 3.3 mPix is enough to hit 10r.

by the way ST1100, are you sure that 16r is A3? if i recall, S10R (super 10r) is about the dimension A3. not to suspect you of anything, but just to double check with you.

thank you very much. i look foward to printing my macros.
by the way, i do suppose mentioning CLUBSNAP at KT hong lim will get me a good price like perhaps 50% off the market rate as mentioned by some?

thanks!

If you are headed to KT@hong Lim, then ask the boss SK Tan for Azure's cat pix. I hope he still has the S8R ones. Those were 2mp shots.

Azure said:
If you are headed to KT@hong Lim, then ask the boss SK Tan for Azure's cat pix. I hope he still has the S8R ones. Those were 2mp shots.

8r 2MPIX??? just 1 word. WOW.

ckiang said:
Been there done that. It's the megapixel number war that causes people to think lowly of low-meg cameras. :)

8x10 or 8x12 with a good 2mp is a piece of cake. :D

Regards
CK
hmmm i see. i'm just a dumbo who decided to get a gd camera to last a couple of years before i earn my own keep and probably move to D slr.

its pretty incredible that 2MP can get to 8r. which means my 5mP can prob go to 20r? quite crazy to think about it.

anyway, how do u define a "good 2mp" do u mean a gd photographer with low noise and gd exposure?

Printed 3:2 @ 18x12, don't know how many R but my friend see her wedding pic printed out so large she was so happy.

Quality was good too.

normanlai said:
hmmm i see. i'm just a dumbo who decided to get a gd camera to last a couple of years before i earn my own keep and probably move to D slr.

its pretty incredible that 2MP can get to 8r. which means my 5mP can prob go to 20r? quite crazy to think about it.

anyway, how do u define a "good 2mp" do u mean a gd photographer with low noise and gd exposure?

I won't be surprised if a 5 or 6mp can print a 20x30" pic. ;)

Well, by "Good 2mp", I mean the camera itself, and the photographer's technique. :)

Regards
CK

normanlai said:
by the way ST1100, are you sure that 16r is A3? if i recall, S10R (super 10r) is about the dimension A3.

Sorry, my mistake.

A3 is 420x297 (mm), which is 16.5x11.7 (inches). Aspect ratio is 1.414 instead of the 1.5 of the S10R. So my A3 picture would be 17.5x11.7 if uncroppped, at 6.3mpix.

11R is 11x14, 12R is 12x18. So A3 is between 11R and 12R. 16R is 16x20.

To repeat the calculation, the S10R is about 75% area of an A3, which means if i crop my picture to S10R, it would be a 4.6mpix file.

Hope i got it correct this time.

============================

A 2mpix at aspect ratio 1.5 is about 1750x1150 pixels.

A 8x12 from a 2mpix would mean a picture at ~145dpi. This is still a long way off from pixelation. A 20x30 print would be slightly under 60dpi. It might still be ok.

ST1100 said:
Sorry, my mistake.

A3 is 420x297 (mm), which is 16.5x11.7 (inches). Aspect ratio is 1.414 instead of the 1.5 of the S10R. So my A3 picture would be 17.5x11.7 if uncroppped, at 6.3mpix.

11R is 11x14, 12R is 12x18. So A3 is between 11R and 12R. 16R is 16x20.

To repeat the calculation, the S10R is about 75% area of an A3, which means if i crop my picture to S10R, it would be a 4.6mpix file.

Hope i got it correct this time.

============================

A 2mpix at aspect ratio 1.5 is about 1750x1150 pixels.

A 8x12 from a 2mpix would mean a picture at ~145dpi. This is still a long way off from pixelation. A 20x30 print would be slightly under 60dpi. It might still be ok.

wow, nice calculations. if u could tabulate it into a gd statistical chart i'm pretty sure it could be added to faq sticky, many people would benefit to know wad size they could safely print.

thanks for EVERYONE'S imput. i'll see wads in my budget then, since my 5MP seems to be able to leap beyond the borders of my wallet.

wah..
I'm planning to enlarge one of mine 2MP A40 shots to either A2 or A3 size to a jigsaw puzzle.
Should I maintain at 150dpi that is to interpolate the image or reduce to about 75dpi to give an image of about close to 1600 x 1200, the image as given by my cam?
Anyone can give advise on this?

Strange, I don't have such good luck with digital. At the largest file size and finest compression setting on my 4MP ex-Canon S45 (stolen), I already find 6R stretching the limits. Not a problem with pixelation, but resolution. That was for a group photo shot of 10 people. Head and shoulder portraits are fine at 8R though.

Megapixels are not everything, sensor size plays a big role:
http://www.photo.net/equipment/digital/sensorsize/

going for large prints, its usually the photography techniques that plays a major role.

at 5MP, if u print 12R and notice blur blur, then you know that u need more practice :p

Status
Not open for further replies.