What is the best zoom lens for sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

mugenpower

Sep 7, 2006
Jurong West Ave 3
Hi all,

Would like buy a budget lens with sharp and can so call freeze the object you have taken. Cause i am using AF70-300mm F4-5.6 for my Nikon D70s which i don't get sharp picture or freeze the object i have taken...

Even though the price would goes up to 2k i might consider.
Any idea of 70-200mm F2.8?

Thanks for the advice...

Cheers

To freeze the subject, you'll need a high shutter speed. Buying a f/2.8 lens will help of coz, but if you're shooting during the day, the 70-300 shouldn't be a problem, as long as technique is correct. Or you could also increase the ISO to obtain faster shutter speeds. This of coz will depend how high you can increase your camera's ISO without compromising too much of the PQ.

But the 70-200 should have faster focusing, and the VR should help also. For your $2k budget, you can try looking for a 2nd hand copy which goes for around that range.

Not sure how the 70-300 tamron lens performs. But if you willing to spend 2k budget, can easily get a nikon 70-200 2.8. In fact i suggest you save more and buy it first hand, with warranty.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.. For ur info most of the time i have to edit the photo sharpness so instead i would rather spend a little more on better lense lor....

Thanks

Wah... 70-200 f2.8 also consider budget lens ah? :bigeyes:

That aside, if you already got the correct fundamentals, this lens will surely better your current lens, except for the range n weight.

There is also a nikon AF 80-200mm f2.8D you might want to try.Tack sharp at all apetures and fast focussing ideal for sports.This is almost identical to the 70-200 just that this lens has no VR.This only costs $950+ second hand and 1.6k brand new.

BTW these lenses will be a major upgrade from your consumer 70-300 VR.The 80-200 and 70-200 are solid pro lenses which weigh around 1.3kg each.

The 70-300VR is not a lousy lens.

Are you shooting indoor or outdoor sports? What time of the day are you shooting at?

The 70-300VR is not a lousy lens.
Forgive me if i gave the wrong impression of the 70-300 VR.It is actually a good lens but does not match up to the 80-200 in terms of apeture,focussing speed and build.

Forgive me if i gave the wrong impression of the 70-300 VR.It is actually a good lens but does not match up to the 80-200 in terms of apeture,focussing speed and build.

Hmm focusing speed will depend very much on the camera body. The 70-300 VR is a SWM lens, while the 80-200 relies on the camera's screw-driven AF motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.