What is the best way to preserve newspaper color?

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
As newspaper tends to become yellowish after some time, is there any way to preserve it to make it looks as if it's brand new even few years down the road?

Some options I've thought of:
- Laminate it.
- Color laser copy it.

Please advice. Thank you.

scan and archive?

i dunno if this will work.. put in dry box?

kcuf2 said:
i dunno if this will work.. put in dry box?

it's quite huge, a full page ad. So I'm not going to have fold marks by putting it in a dry box.

I don't mind framing it up, but I just need to find a way to preserve by not having any color-fade.

user12343 said:
scan and archive?

Do you know where can I find such service?
I don't have a scanner at home.

Is consumer scanner these days up to the standard? The last time I used one was more than 5 years ago and I don't like the visible lines across pictures.

behyx said:

Is consumer scanner these days up to the standard? The last time I used one was more than 5 years ago and I don't like the visible lines across pictures.

use camera and shoot? resolution ain't as high as scanner but should be pretty much readable.
if you want higher resolution, you might want to try shooting it part by part and den merge using software just like panorama shots :bsmilie:
else might want to try lamination? :dunno:

I think most newspaper has some sort of acid inside that causes them to yellow.

behyx said:

most scanners today are able to do general scanning nicely, without too much colorcast. but due to the high resolution capabilities, the color dots that make up the pics on the newsprint will be rather obvious, unless u can set the scanner software to do some dithering/de-patterning/de-screening to reduce the artifacts.

keep in cool and dry places... and occasional diluted bleach. :cool:

if i m not mistaken, the reason the newspaper turns yellow is because of the air oxidising the newspaper and this process is accelerated becos of the humidity in the air..

if can get a large dry box (maybe 200L or 300L?) that is big enough to store ur newspaper without folding it, and then set the humidty to the lowest level..for example 10%?, i think the newpaper can last a long while..

actually, the cheapest and fastest way is to laminate it..

acherly i would think that laminating only slows down the yellowing process. the inks (except black) that is used in newsprints do not really possess color-fastness. inks that is color-fast cost more and no newsprinter would wanna spend too much $ on getting quality inks when the average reading lifespan is at max few days (who bothers to read old news anyway?)

another way is to do microfisching, where newsprints are photographed onto film in to extremely small image for large volume archiving.

Wow thanks guys :)

Looks like I'm going to laser copy it, and to laminate the original copy :) Thanks!

Dry Cab may can prevent that. IIRC, the lower humidity setting is good for paper thing (less than 40% RH).

Regards,
Arto.

bro...full page also can scan one la...i do it for my dad's stuff all the time...bring it to my house...:D.....

Witness said:
bro...full page also can scan one la...i do it for my dad's stuff all the time...bring it to my house...:D.....

Wow bro you are sooo nice :kiss:
Meantime I will try to get the graphic designer to send me the softcopy. If so, then I might not have to scan. :)

kcuf2 said:
if i m not mistaken, the reason the newspaper turns yellow is because of the air oxidising the newspaper and this process is accelerated becos of the humidity in the air..

if can get a large dry box (maybe 200L or 300L?) that is big enough to store ur newspaper without folding it, and then set the humidty to the lowest level..for example 10%?, i think the newpaper can last a long while..

actually, the cheapest and fastest way is to laminate it..

Hi,

Just OT abit. Paper will turn yellowish because of the combination of Sunlight and oxygen and air. So if the paper is kept away from the Sunlight and air, it will remain white. Laminating will only slow down the oxidation process, as the air intact with the newspaper is reduced.

maybe you could roll it up then place it in the dry cabinet?

Status
Not open for further replies.